Early Decision Program Requirements and Application Process
Early Decision Timeline for Application/Acceptance for entering class 2015
- Receipt of AMCAS application: August 1, 2014 deadline
- Receipt of secondary materials: September 1, 2014 deadline
- Interviews (by invitation only): September, 2014
- Notice of acceptance: October 1, 2014
The School of Medicine participates in the AMCAS Early Decision Program. Candidates may apply to only one school and, if accepted through the Early Decision Program, must attend that school. Those not accepted through Early Decision may then apply to other schools and Missouri as a regular admissions candidate.
Applicants must have completed at least 90 semester hours from a U.S. college or university. Required college course* work includes:
- English composition or writing intensive, 2 semesters
- College-level mathematics (college algebra or above), 1 semester
- Biologic Sciences (e.g. biology, genetics, cell biology, animal physiology, molecular biology, histology), 2 semesters of lecture each with lab
- General chemistry, 2 semesters of lecture each with lab
- Organic chemistry, 2 semesters of lecture each with lab
- General physics, 2 semesters of lecture each with lab
* All required courses must receive a grade of C or better.
Medical College Admissions Test (MCAT) and GPA Requirements
These may vary from year to year. Early decision program applicants must meet these requirements:
- Minimum cumulative undergraduate GPA 3.75. Applicants with lower GPAs who have successfully completed relevant graduate level coursework at a high standard may be considered.
- Minimum 30 MCAT sum.
Letters of Recommendation
For the 2015 application year the University of Missouri School of Medicine will be participating in the AMCAS Letter of Recommendation program. We accept recommendation letters ONLY through the AMCAS letter service.
Please visit the AMCAS website for more information on how to submit letters of recommendation to the University of Missouri. To ensure efficient processing of your letters by AMCAS carefully follow instructions. We will not accept Letters of Recommendation sent directly to our medical school. Any letters we receive will not be placed in your application file, and will not be retained in any other form.
- ALL letters need to be submitted using the AMCAS letter service.
- Do not send any letters directly to the University of Missouri School of Medicine.
- All re-applicants must submit letters through AMCAS. We will not pull forward letters from the last application cycle.
- We will not retain any letters sent directly to our office.
If you completed your undergraduate degree on or before September 2012, please have three letters of recommendation sent from persons familiar with your recent scientific work, study experience, or professional experience.
We require three individual letters from professors who taught and issued you a grade. It is strongly recommended that at least two of the three be from science faculty. Letters from teaching assistants will not satisfy this requirement. Applicants may submit a premed committee or composite letter in lieu of the three individual letters. MU appreciates colleges/universities who submit a premed committee letter as well as individual letters.
Additional letters beyond the three required may be submitted to supplement or validate other aspects of your candidacy, but the Committee requests that no more than 6 letters be sent.Deadline for filing letters of reference is September 1.
Personal Characteristics and Tested Motivation for Medicine
The admissions committee is composed of students, faculty and alumni who screen initial applications and determine the best candidates to invite for interviews. The MCAT results and academic record assist the committee in evaluating an individual's aptitude for medical education. Equally important, however, are the applicant's personal characteristics and experiences related to healthcare. The admissions committee utilizes letters of recommendation, the personal statement, pre-medical community and educational activities, and the interview to assess the extent to which the applicant has the personal characteristics and knowledge of healthcare to adequately commit to a life long career as a patient-centered physician.
How to Apply
Candidates for admission to the MU School of Medicine should apply to the American Medical College Application Service, AMCAS. Students who demonstrate financial need may qualify for an AMCAS application fee waiver.
You must be a Missouri resident to be considered for the early decision program. A file will be opened for every Missouri resident who applies as long as they meet the minimum requirements.
The School of Medicine emails each applicant with an open file a supplemental application. Applicants must complete and return this application with a $75 fee by the September 1st file completion deadline.
The MU School of Medicine receives a small number of early decision program applications each year. After an initial screening, we invite qualified applicants for interviews. All interviews are at the invitation of the School of Medicine. Learn more about our Interview Day.
To view our confidentiality and selection process guidelines please click here.