MU Health Professions Summit
The MU Health Professions Summit is a three-day experience for Missouri high school students interested in health careers. The Summit is sponsored by the University of Missouri Area Health Education Center (MU AHEC) in collaboration with the health professional schools at MU. During the summit, students will spend time at the MU School of Medicine, MU School of Health Professions, and MU Sinclair School of Nursing, participating in hands on activities and information sessions to expose them to multiple health careers. Through hands-on activities and information sessions taught by MU’s faculty and staff, students will learn about numerous health careers including medicine, nursing, occupational therapy, physical therapy, ultrasonography, pharmacy, speech-language or communication disorders, and many more.
Discovering Health Careers and Campus Life
During the Summit, students will have the experience of being a college student in the health professions at MU. The Summit experience helps dispel myths and anxiety about being a college student on a large campus. Students experience college life by staying in the residence halls, eating in the dining facilities, and discovering recreational opportunities. Educational sessions provide students information regarding admissions, financial aid, and also provide an opportunity to network with current health professions faculty, staff and students.
July 17 - 20, 2016
The University of Missouri in Columbia
Housing and Food
Students will stay in residence halls on the University of Missouri campus and all meals will be provided.
Students are responsible for travel arrangements and associated costs to and from the Summit.
Cost of Attendance
The cost to attend the Summit is $200/applicant. Part of the $200 payment is a $100 non-refundable deposit.
Scholarships are available for applicants who demonstrate financial need.
The Selection Process
Up to 40 students will be selected to attend the Summit. Underrepresented minority students, socio-economically disadvantaged students, and students from rural areas are particularly encouraged to apply for the Summit.
- Be a Missouri high school sophomore or junior Area Health Education Center participant or a past MU School of Medicine Medical Explorations participant
- Have a 3.0 cumulative high school GPA
Applicants will be reviewed based on the following:
- Academic effort and success
- Student response to application essay questions
- Science teacher, Missouri Area Health Education staff person, and/or MU School of Medicine Medical Explorations staff person recommendation letter
- Involvement in extracurricular activities (school, community, and health related)
Required application materials include:
- Application Form: Complete all pages and attach a recent photograph to the first page of the application.
- Evaluation Form: Have each evaluator complete the evaluation form and return it to MU School of Medicine. One evaluation form is required, but a maximum of two may be submitted. The required evaluation form can be from a Missouri Area Health Education Center staff person or a MU School of Medicine Medical Explorations staff person. The optional evaluation can be from a high school science teacher.
- High school Transcript: Ask your high school to send an official copy of your current transcript to MU School of Medicine.
Submit application, evaluation form(s) and transcript to:
University of Missouri School of Medicine
Attn: MU Health Professions Summit
2401 Lemone Industrial Blvd, DC345.00
Columbia, MO 65212
Application, evaluation forms, and high school transcript are due by March 1st to MU School of Medicine. Only complete applications with all required application materials will be considered. It is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure all required materials are received by MU School of Medicine. Applications or supporting materials postmarked after March 1st will not be considered. Please call (573) 884-7370 to verify receipt of materials.
Applicants will be notified of acceptance by April 1st. At the time of acceptance, students will be required to fill out and submit additional participation forms. Participation forms and payment are due by April 29th.
For program or application questions, please contact:
Phone: (573) 884-3566