Regular Admission Requirements and Application Process
Regular Admission Timeline for Application/Acceptance for entering class 2014
- Receipt of AMCAS application: June 1 – October 15, 2013
- Receipt of secondary materials: June 1– 5 PM on December 31, 2013
- Interviews (by invitation only): October 2013– February 2014
- Final notice of acceptance: March 22, 2014
Applicants must have completed at least 90 semester hours from a recognized college or university. Required college course* work includes:
- English composition or writing intensive, 2 semesters
- College-level mathematics (college algebra or above), 1 semester
- Biologic Sciences (e.g. biology, genetics, cell biology, animal physiology, molecular biology, histology), 2 semesters of lecture each with lab
- General chemistry, 2 semesters of lecture each with lab
- Organic chemistry, 2 semesters of lecture each with lab
- General physics, 2 semesters of lecture each with lab
* All required courses must receive a grade of C or better.
The Medical College Admissions Test (MCAT)
The Medical College Admissions Test (MCAT) is required. Candidates may register electronically through the AAMC website at www.aamc.org. Scores older than 2010 will not be accepted. For 2014 entry, we will accept scores from exams administered through September 2013.
Letters of Recommendation
For the 2014 application year the University of Missouri School of Medicine will be participating in the AMCAS Letter of Recommendation program. We accept recommendation letters ONLY through the AMCAS letter service.
Please visit the AMCAS website for more information on how to submit letters of recommendation to the University of Missouri. To ensure efficient processing of your letters by AMCAS carefully follow instructions. We will not accept Letters of Recommendation sent directly to our medical school. Any letters we receive will not be placed in your application file, and will not be retained in any other form.
- ALL letters need to be submitted using the AMCAS letter service.
- Do not send any letters directly to the University of Missouri School of Medicine.
- All re-applicants must submit letters through AMCAS. We will not pull forward letters from the last application cycle.
- We will not retain any letters sent directly to our office.
If you completed your undergraduate degree on or before September 2011, please have three letters of recommendation sent from persons familiar with your recent scientific work, study experience, or professional experience.
We require three individual letters from professors who taught and issued you a grade. It is strongly recommended that at least two of the three be from science faculty. Letters from teaching assistants will not satisfy this requirement. Applicants may submit a premed committee or composite letter in lieu of the three individual letters. MU appreciates colleges/universities who submit a premed committee letter as well as individual letters.
Additional letters beyond the three required may be submitted to supplement or validate other aspects of your candidacy, but the Committee requests that no more than 6 letters be sent. Deadline for filing letters of reference is December 31.
Personal Characteristics and Tested Motivation for Medicine
The admissions committee is composed of students, faculty and alumni who screen initial applications and determine the best candidates to invite for interviews. The MCAT results and academic record assist the committee in evaluating an individual's aptitude for medical education. Equally important, however, are the applicant's personal characteristics and experiences related to healthcare. The admissions committee utilizes letters of recommendation, the personal statement, pre-medical community and educational activities, and the interview to assess the extent to which the applicant has the personal characteristics and knowledge of healthcare to adequately commit to a life long career as a patient-centered physician.
How to Apply
Candidates for admission to the MU School of Medicine should apply to the American Medical College Application Service, AMCAS. Students who demonstrate financial need may qualify for an AMCAS application fee waiver.
Depending on an applicant's home state residency, there are different evaluation procedures for opening a file for consideration. For Missouri residents applying to the MU School of Medicine a file is automatically opened and evaluated. For residents from a state other than Missouri, please refer to Out-of-State Admission.
The School of Medicine emails each applicant with an open file a supplemental application. Applicants must complete and return this application with a $75 fee by 5 PM on the December 31st file completion deadline.
The MU School of Medicine receives nearly sixteen hundred applications every year. After an initial screening we invite applicants, who are seriously being considered, for interviews. All interviews are at the invitation of the School of Medicine. Learn more about our Interview Day.
To view our confidentiality and selection process guidelines please click here.