Springfield Summer Clinical Experience
Download, complete, print and submit the application to Kristen Bailey in the Office of Medical Education, MA213. Students are required to submit only one cover sheet no matter how many fellowship programs they apply to. The deadline is January 29, 2016.
Dr. Jack Gay
Phone: (573) 882-0279
Phone: (573) 884-8025
The Springfield Summer Clinical Experience is a 4 week experience in the summer between 1st and 2nd years of medical school. It is available to up to 8 MU medical students. Preceptors will be with the CoxHealth and Mercy health systems in Springfield. The experience will allow students the opportunity to learn from physicians in Springfield while being introduced to the practice of medicine in that community.
Preceptors from several specialties will be available. Students may spend 4 weeks with one specialty or 2 weeks in 2 specialties. The list of specialties and dates available will be posted by late January.
- Increase knowledge of community practice by working with an experienced preceptor
- Learn about different specialties
- Improve clinical skills in history-taking, physical examination, assessment and medical management
- Explore common acute clinical problems
- Compare medical practice in a community setting to practice in an academic health center
Students receive a $1,000 stipend to support their four-week experience. Funding for students is provided by CoxHealth and Mercy health systems. If needed, housing is also provided.