The School of Medicine offers six Summer Fellowships for MU's first-year medical students. Research, clinical and international opportunities are available. Depending on the program, the fellowships last from four-to-eight weeks. Enrollments are competitive and limited. In order to be considered you must submit a cover sheet, application(s) and all necessary paperwork by Friday, January 29, 2016.
All students will be notified of their summer placement by Wednesday, March 16, 2016.
- Department of Medicine Summer Externship
- Rural Summer Community Program (MU-AHEC)
- Mini-Medical School Program
- Office of Research Summer Fellowship Program
- Orientation and White Coat Ceremony
- Springfield Summer Clinical Experience
Several of these programs require a curriculum vitae. Download a sample curriculum vitae here.
MU medical students have MU liability coverage for educational activities while registered in courses that are officially recognized by the medical school as training experiences. Specifics are on file for review in associate dean for student affairs office. This includes the summer fellowship courses without credit. This coverage is only provided for international courses within countries that were non-communist in 1973. For example, activities in the Soviet Union, Cuba, East Germany, Poland, Czechoslovakia, Hungary, Yugoslavia, Albania, Bulgaria, Romania, North Korea, Communist China, Tibet and North Vietnam were not covered when the current plan was written and the plan has not yet been updated. Also, an international claim must be made and brought in the United States to be covered.
16 Summer Programs Process
Students will submit their cover sheet, application(s), and other requested material to Christy Old in the Office of Medical Education (OME). On the cover sheet, the student should indicate which program(s) they are applying to. If applying to more than one program the programs should be ranked numerically by preference (1= most preferred). Dates and details follow.
Summer Programs available, with stipend and number of available slots:
|Springfield Summer Clinical Experience||$1,000||8|
|High School Mini Med School||$2,000||7-8|
|Department of Medicine Summer Externship||$1,000||unspecified|
|AHEC Community Program||Up to $2,000 (dependent upon length)||unspecified|
|Summer Research Program||$2,000 (plus $100 for poster costs)||unspecified|
- January 6, 2016 -- M1 Class Meeting, 12:00 noon, S255
- January 29, 2016 -- Deadline for Students to submit applications to OME
- Students select their FIRST choice
- Students may indicate other choices
- March 4, 2016 -- Deadline for programs to notify OME of selected students
- March 16, 2016 -- Programs notify students of placement. Those students who do not have placement can apply for openings. If student has previously designated a #2 choice and this program has openings, the application will be forwarded to the #2 program.
- March 23, 2016 -- Deadline for students who don't have a placement to submit application.
- April 4, 2016 -- All students will have been notified of decisions for summer programs.
- Only one program will be awarded per medical student.
- Only University of Missouri - Columbia students are eligible to apply for the above programs.