University of Missouri School of Medicine Diversity Statement
The School of Medicine promotes an inclusive academic health care community. A diverse population offers a rich environment that leads to greater knowledge, understanding, acceptance and mutual respect.
The faculty in the School of Medicine embraces MU’s commitment to diversity and we recognize the special role of the medical school in the development of a physician workforce prepared to serve an increasingly diverse state and national populace. It is both our responsibility and in our institutional self-interest to recruit and retain faculty, staff, and students to our medical community who reflect and understand the larger community that we serve. We will, through education and example:
- Commit to a welcoming, engaged environment for all;
- Pursue a diverse and qualified community within the School of Medicine. We particularly seek to recruit underrepresented minorities and women as faculty and senior leaders;
- Recognize and reward talent, scholarship, and merit in an environment that derives its strength from our varied societal experiences;
- Value the enrichment that diversity provides to the practice and art of medicine.
- AspiringDocs.org - An AAMC Campaign to Increase Diversity in Medicine
- Roadmap to Diversity: Key Legal and Educational Policy Foundations for Medical Schools
- Striving Toward Excellence: Faculty Diversity in Medical Education
- The Diversity Research Forum The Importance and Benefits of Diverse Faculty in Academic Medicine: Implications for Recruitment, Retention, and Promotion