Martin A. Alpert, MD
Brent Parker Professor of Medicine
Clinical and Research Interests
- Internal Medicine, Cardiovascular Disease
Councils & Committees
- Council on Clinical Cardiology; Fellow
- Cardio-pulmonary Council
- American Society of Echocardiography; Council on Cardiac Sonography
- Scientific Executive Committee, 16th World Congress on Heart Disease, 2011-2012
- Scientific Executive Committee, 15th World Congress on Heart Disease, 2009–2010
- Scientific Executive Committee, 14th World Congress on Heart Disease, 2007-2008
- Scientific Executive Committee, 12th World Congress on Heart Disease, 2004-2005
- Member, Writing Group, American Heart Association Scientific Advisory Committee on Cardiology Pre-operative Consultation for Bariatric Surgery, 2006-2007
- Scientific Executive Committee, 13th World Congress on Heart Disease, 2006-2007
- Advisory Committee on Scientific Activities, Southern Medical Association, 1997-2000, 2002-2004
- Planning Committee, Annual Dialysis Conference, 2004
- Scientific Executive Committee, 3rd World Congress on Heart Disease, 2002-2003
- American Heart Association Southern Research Consortium, 1997-2000
- Working Group on the Pathophysiology of Obesity-associated Cardiovascular Diseases, NHLBI and NIDDK, 2001
- Scientific Advisory Board, 2nd International Congress on Heart Disease: New Trends in Research, Diagnosis and Treatment, 2000-2001
- Residency - University of Missouri-Columbia (Internal Medicine)
- Fellowship - University of Missouir-Columbia (Cardiovascular Diseases)
- Department of Medicine Research Council, University of Missouri School of Medicine, active member
- Faculty Appointments, Promotions, and Tenure Committee, 2009-Present
- Medical Executive Committee, St. John's Mercy Medical Center, 2001-2007
- Medical Executive Committee, Subcommittee on Credentials, St. John's Mercy Medical Center, 2001-2007
- Graduate Medical Education Committee, St. John's Mercy Medical Center, 2001-2007
- Patient Safety Committee, St. John's Mercy Medical Center, 2001-2007
- Sentinel Events Committee, St. John's Mercy Medical Center, 2001-2006
- Core Planning Team, St. John's Mercy Medical Center, 2001-2007
- Performance Improvement Coordinating Council, St. John's Mercy Medical Center, 2001-2007
- Cardiovascular Task Force, St. John's Mercy Medical Center, 2001-2007
- Medical Records Review Committee, St. John's Mercy Medical Center, 2002-2004
- Bylaws Committee, St. John's Mercy Medical Center, 2002-2007
- Cardiovascular Operations Committee, St. John's Mercy Medical Center, 2004-2007
- Brent M. Parker Professor of Medicine 2009-present
- Distinguished Fellowship Award, International Academy of Cardiology, 2008
- American College of Physicians; Fellow
- American College of Cardiology; Fellow
- American College of Chest Physicians; Fellow
- American Heart Association; Fellow
- Southern Medical Association; Secretary, Cardiology Section, 1995-1998; Vice-Chairman, Cardiology Section, 1998-1999; Chairman, Cardiology Section, 1999-2002
- Central Society for Clinical Research
- Southern Society for Clinical Investiga¬tion
- Alpha Omega Alpha
- American Society of Angiology; Fellow
- Society of the Sigma Xi
- International Society for Peritone¬al Dialysis
- Jadhav AP, McGowan PJ, Nusair MB, Ingole A, Alpert MA: Refractory ventricular tachycardia associated with aluminum phosphide poisoning. American J Emergency Med, e-pub ahead of print, 2011.
- Jhawar M, Balla S, Alpert MA, Chockalingam A. Left ventricular outflow tract and midcavity obstruction may cause false positive dobutamine stress echocardiograms. Eur J Echocardiography 12:E14, 2011.
- El Sabbagh FH, Guzon OJ, Alpert MA, Flaker GC: Electrocardiographic clues to identify non-responders to cardiac resynchronization therapy. Ann Non-invasive Electrocardiology, 15:369-377, 2010.
- Delcour KS, Singla A, Jarbou M, Alpert MA, Dabbagh O: Can lung diffusing capacity for carbon monoxide predict pulmonary arterial hypertension? Am J Med Sci 340: 54-59, 2010
- Deftereos S, Giannopoulos G, Toli K, Kossyvakis C, Theodorakis A, Kaoukis A, Raisakis K, Mantas I, Pyrgakis V, Alpert MA. Short-term fluctuations of plasma NT-proBNP levels in patients with new onset atrial fibrillation: a way to assess time of onset? Heart 96:1033-1036, 2010
- Alpert MA, Carlino C: Pre-procedure blood glucose: A new risk predictor for contrast-induced acute kidney injury. J Am Coll Cardiol 55; 1441-1443, 2010
- Singh A, Khaja A, Alpert MA: Cocaine and aortic dissection. Vascular Medicine 15; 127-133, 2010
- Carlino C, Tobias JD, Schneider RI, Heller RL, Gruber RE, Dellsperger KC, Alpert MA, DeMarco VG: Acute sildenafil and brain natriuretic therapy attenuates monocrotaline-induced pulmonary hypertension. Am J Med Sci 339:55-59, 2010.
- Deftereos S, Giannopoulos G, Kossyvakis C, Kaoukis A, Raisakis K, Driva M, Panagopoulou V, Lappos S, Rentoukas I, Pyrgakis V, Alpert MA: Effect of quinapril on in-stent restenosis: relation to plasma apoptotic signaling molecules. Am J Cardiol 105:54-58, 2010.
- Coats WC, Baig SZ, Alpert MA, Aggarwal K: Utility of echocardiography in the assessment of coronary artery of disease in patients with end-stage renal disease. Advances Peritoneal Dialysis 25:129-132, 2009.
- Coats WC, Baig SZ, Alpert MA, Aggarwal K: Management of cardiovascular disease in dialysis patients. Advances in Peritoneal Dialysis 25:125-128, 2009.
- Baig SZ, Coats WC, Aggarwal KB, Alpert MA: Assessing cardiovascular disease in dialysis patients. Advances in Peritoneal Dialysis 25:147-154, 2009.
- Garg R, Khaja A, Madsen R, Tejwani L, Alpert MA, Aggarwal K: Observer variation in the measurement of maximum atrial septal excursion. Comparison of M-mode with two-dimensional or transesophageal echocardiography. Echocardiography 26: 1122-1126, 2009.
- Garg R, Singh A, Alpert MA, Khaja A, Aggarwal K: How does volume status affect plasma BNP and troponin levels as markers of cardiovascular status in peritoneal dialysis? Congestive Heart Failure, 15:240-244, 2009.
- Deftereos S, Giannopoulos G, Kossyvakis C, Raisakis K, Kaoukis A, Driva M, Ntzouvosa O, Panagopoulou V, Rentoukas I, Nikas DJ, Pyrgakis V, Alpert MA: Effect of radiographic contrast media on markers of complement activation and apoptosis in patients with chronic coronary artery disease undergoing coronary angiography, J Invasive Cardiology, 9:473-477,2009.
- Poirier P, Alpert MA, Fleisher LA, Thompson PB, Sugerman H, Burke LE, Stitzel K, Marceau P, Franklin B: Cardiovascular evaluation and management of severely obese patients undergoing surgery: A science advisory from the American Heart Association. Circulation 120:86-95, 2009.
- Alpert MA, Govindarajan G, Del Rosario MEL: Role of the renin-angiotensin system in the pathophysiology and prevention of renal impairment in patients with the metabolic syndrome and its components. J Cardiometabolic Syndrome 4:57-62, 2009.
- Govindarajan G, Alpert MA, Tejwani L: Endocrine and metabolic effects of fat. Am J Med 121: 366-370, 2008.
- Kershaw MA, Alpert MA: Obesity and congestive heart failure. In heart disease: pathogenesis, diagnosis and treatment. A. Kimchi (ed), Bologna, Medimond Srl, 2008, pp.26-30.
- Lazaros GA, Matsakas EP, Madas JS, Toli DI, Nikas DJ, Kershaw MA, Alpert MA: Primary myxofibrosarcoma of the left atrium. Angiology, 59:632-635, 2008.