William Fay, MD
Director, Division of Cardiovascular Medicine
Professor of Medicine and Medical Pharmacology & Physiology
J.W. & Lois Winifred Stafford Distinguished Chair in Diabetes and Cardiovascular Research
Clinical and Research Interests
Cardiac Critical Care, Cardiac Rehabilitation, Cardiology, Heart Disease, Heart Failure, Hematology (Blood Disorders), Preventive Health, Thrombosis (Blood Clot)
- Director, Division of Cardiovascular Medicine
- JW and Lois Winifred Stafford Distinguished Chair in Diabetes and Cardiovascular Research
- Internal Medicine
- Cardiovascular Disease
Councils & Committees
- ATVB Editor Search Committee, 2011
- AHA National Research Committee (Chair of Peer Review Subcommittee, (2009-2011), 2007-Present
- Board of Directors, AHA Midwest Affiliate, 2007-Present
- American Heart Association Midwest Affiliate Research Committee (Chair, 2007-2008), 2007-Present
- Research and Development Committee, Harry S Truman VA Medical Center, 2005-2009
- Residency – University of Michigan Medical Center (Internal Medicine)
- Fellowship – Mayo Clinic, Rochester Minnesota (Cardiology)
- School of Medicine Advisory Committee on Research Space, University of Missouri School of Medicine, 2010
- School of Medicine Scientific Peer Review Committee, University of Missouri, 2008-2009
- School of Medicine Promotions and Tenure Committee, University of Missouri, 2005-2009
- Dalton Cardiovascular Research Center Directorship Search Committee, University of Missouri School of Medicine, 2004-2005
Honors & Awards
- Thrombosis Special Recognition Award, ATVB Council of American Heart Association, 2006
- J.W. and Lois Winifred Stafford Distinguished Chair in Diabetes and Cardiovascular Research, University of Missouri-Columbia, 2004-Present
- Fellow, American College of Cardiology
- Council on Thrombosis, American Heart Association
- International Society on Thrombosis and Haemostasis
- Central Society for Clinical Research
- Fellow, American Heart Association
- American Society of Hematology
- Targeting Plasminogen Activator Inhibitor-1 to Inhibit Restenosis
- Roles of Plasminogen Activator Inhibitor-1 and Vitronectin in Failure of Coronary Revascularization
- Molecular Genetics of Coagulation Disorders
- C-Reactive Protein and Atherosclerosis
- White TA, Johnson T, Zarzhevsky N, Tom C, Delacroix S, Holroyd EW, Maroney SA, Singh R, Pan S, Fay WP, van Deursen J, Mast AE, Sandhu GS, Simari RD: Endothelial-derived tissue factor pathway inhibitor regulates arterial thrombosis but is not required for development or hemostasis. Blood. 2010; 116:1787-1794.
- Garg N, Goyal N, Strawn T, Wu J, Lawrence DA, Fay WP: Plasminogen activator inhibitor-1 and vitronectin expression level and stoichiometry control vascular smooth muscle cell migration through physiological collagen matrices. J. Thromb Haemost 2010;8:1847-1854.
- Wu J, Peng L, McMahon GA, Lawrence DA, Fay WP: Recombinant plasminogen activator inhibitor-1 inhibits intimal hyperplasia. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 2009;29:1565-1570.
- Ahmed A, Stephens JC, Kaus CA, Fay WP: Impact of preemptive warfarin dose reduction on anticoagulation after initiation of trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole or levofloxacin. J Thromb Thrombolysis 2008;26:44-48.
- Wu J, Stevenson MJ, Brown JM, Grunz EA, Strawn T, Fay WP: C-Reactive protein enhances tissue factor expression by vascular smooth muscle cells: Mechanisms and in vivo significance. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2008;28:698-704.
- Kuchay SM, Kim N, Grunz EA, Fay WP, Chishti AH: Double knockouts reveal that protein tyrosine phosphatase 1B is a physiological target of calpain-1 in platelets. Molec Cell Biol 2007;27:6038-6052.
- Meier DJ, Seva S, Fay WP: A Comparison of anticoagulation results of patients managed with narrow vs. standard international normalized ratio target ranges. J Thromb Haemost. 2007;5:1332-1333.
- Deerhake JP, Merz JC, Cooper JV, Eagle KA, Fay WP: The duration of anticoagulation bridging therapy in clinical practice may significantly exceed that observed in clinical trials. J Thromb Thrombolysis. 2007;23:107-113.
- Tilley RE, Pedersen B, Pawlinski R, Sato Y, Erlich JH, Shen Y, Day S, Huang Y, Eitzman DT, Boisvert WA, Curtiss LK, Fay WP, Mackman N: Atherosclerosis in mice is not affected by a reduction in tissue factor expression. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2006;26:555-562.