Greg Flaker, MD
Professor of Medicine
Clinical and Research Interests
Cardiology, Chest Pain, Atrial Fibrillation
- Wes and Simone Sorenson Chair in Cardiovascular Research
- Director of Research, Division of Cardiovascular Medicine
- Director, Electrophysiology Laboratory, University of Missouri
- Internal Medicine
- Cardiovascular Disease
Councils & Committees
- Steering Committee, Permanent Atrial Fibrillation Outcome Study Using Dronedarone on Top of Standard Therapy (PALLAS0, 2010-Present
- Stroke Events Committee, Chairman Catheter Ablation Versus Antiarrhythmic Drug Therapy for Atrial Fibrillation Trial (CABANA), 2009-Present
- Governor-elect, American College of Cardiology-Missouri Affiliate, 2009
- National Coordinator, Comprehensive Rimonabant Evaluation Study, of Cardiovascular ENDpoints and Outcomes (CRESCENDO), 2008-2009
- Councilor American College of Cardiology, Missouri Affiliate, 2008-Present
- Scientific Advisory Board, 14th World Congress of Cardiology, 2008
- National Coordinator, Apixaban for Reduction In Stroke and Other ThromboemboLic Events in Atrial Fibrillation (ARISTOTLE), 2007-Present
- Steering Committee, Apixaban VErsus ASA to Reduce the Rate Of Embolic Stroke (AVERROES), 2007-Present
- National Coordinator, Study of Stroke Prevention in Atrial Fibrillation (RELY), 2005-2009
- Endpoints committee, Home Automatic External Defibrillation Trial (HAT), 2004-2007
- National Coordinator, Atrial Fibrillation Clopidogrel trial with Irbesartan for Prevention of Vascular Events (ACTIVE), 2003-2009
- Residency – University of Missouri (Internal Medicine)
- Fellowship – Ohio State University (Cardiology)
- Sub-Specialty - Electrophysiology
- Promotions and Tenure Committee-Department of Neurology, University of Missouri School of Medicine, 2010-Present
- University of Missouri School of Medicine Data and Safety Monitoring Committee, Chairman, 2008-Present
- Committee on Tenure, University of Missouri School of Medicine, 2007-Present
- Promotions and Tenure Committee- Internal Medicine, University of Missouri School of Medicine 2006-Present
- School of Medicine Foundation Board member, University of Missouri, 2004-Present
- Promotions and Tenure Committee-Department of Surgery, University of Missouri, 1999-Present
- North American Society of Pacing and Electrophysiology
- American Heart Association
- American Heart Association Council on Clinical Cardiology
- Missouri Chapter of American College of Cardiology
- Chinese Medical Association
- American Heart Association
- American Society of Echocardiography
- American College of Cardiology
- Society of Cardiac computed Tomography
- Apixaban for Reduction In Stroke and Other Thromboembolic Events in Atrial Fibrillation
- Apixaban vs Aspirin in Atrial Fibrillation
- Connolly SJ, Eikelbook J, Joyner C, Diener HC, Hart R, Golitsyn S, Flaker G, Avezum A, Hohnloser S, Diaz R, Talajic M, Jun Z, Pais P, Budja A, Parkhomenko A, Jansky P, Commerford P, Tan RS, Sim KH, Lewis BS, Van Meighem W, Lip GYH, Kim JH, Lanas-Zanetti F, Gonzalez-Hermosillo A, Dans AL, Munawar M, O'Donnell M, Lewis G, Yusuf S, on behalf of the AVERROES Steering Committee and Investigators. Apixaban in Patients with Atrial Fibrillation. NEJM 2011;364:806-17
- Nagarakanti R, Ezekowitz MD, Oldgren J, Yang S, Chernick M, Aikens TH, Flaker G, Brugada J, Kamenský G, Parekh A, Reilly PA, Yusuf S, Connolly SJ. Dabigatran Versus Warfarin in Patients with Atrial Fibrillation: An Analysis of Patients Undergoing Cardioversion. Circulation, 2011;123:131-36.
- Eikelboon JW, O'Donnell M, Yusuf S, Diaz R, Flaker G, Hart R, Hohnloser S, Joyner C, Lawrence J, Pais P, Pogue J, Synhorst D, Connolly SJ. Rationale and design of AVERROES: Apixaban versus acetylsalicylic acid to prevent stroke in atrial fibrillation patients who have failed or are unsuitable for vitamin K antagonist treatment. Amer Heart J 2010;159:348-353.
- El-Sabbagh FH, Guzon OJ, Alpert MA, Flaker GC. Electrocardiographic Clues to Identify Nonresponders to Cardiac Resynchronization Therapy. Ann Noninvasive Electrocardiol 2010;15(4):369-377.
- Khaja A, McDaniel WC, Flaker GC. Cardiac Safety of Conducted Electrical Devices in Pigs and Their Effect on Pacemaker Function. Am J Emerg Med, 2010. Published on line 2010 ahead of press.
- Nusair M, Flaker GC, Chockalingam A. Electric Cardioversion of Atrial Fibrillation. Missouri Medicine 2010; 107: 59-64.
- Del Rosario ME, Weachter R, Flaker GC. Drug-Induced QT Prolongation and Sudden Death. Missouri Medicine 2010; 107:53-58.
- Coats W, Politte L, Flaker GC. The Development and Application of the Implantable Cardioverter Defibrillator. Missouri Medicine 2010; 107:48-52.
- Garg N, Kumar A, Flaker GC. Antiplatelet Therapy for Stroke Prevention in Atrial Fibrillation. Missouri Medicine 2010; 107:44-47.
- Cardiology Editorial: Arrhythmia Control: 2010 Keeping the Rhythm Without Missing a Beat. Missouri Medicine 2010: 107:18.
- Flaker GC, Pogue J, Yusuf S, Pfeffer MA, Goldhaber SZ, Granger CB, Anand IS, Hart R, Connolly SJ. Cognitive Function and Anticoagulation Control in Patients with Atrial Fibrillation. Circulation Cardiovascular Quality Outcomes 2010; 3(3): 277-83.
- Mark DB, Anstrom KJ, McNulty SE, Flaker GC, TonkinAM, Smith WM, Toff WD, Dorian P, Clapp-Channing NE, Anderson J, Johnson G, Schron EB, Poole JE, Lee KL, Bardy GH. Quality of Life Effects of Automatic External Defibrillators in the Home: Results from the Home Automatic External Defibrillator Trial (HAT). American Heart Journal 2010; 159 (4):627-34.
- Connolly SJ, Pogue J, Flaker G, Healey, Yusuf S. The Benefit of Oral Anticoagulant over Antiplatelet Therapy in Atrial Fibrillation Depends of the Quality of INR Control Achieved by Centers and by Countries as Measured by Time in Therapeutic Range. Circulation 2008; 118: 2029-37.
- Flaker G, Weachter R. Does Absence (of AF) Make the Heart Grow Fonder? J Cardiovasc Electrophysiol 2009; 20(3) 249-50.
- Patel S, Flaker G Is Early Cardioversion for Atrial Fibrillation Safe in Patients with Spontaneous Echocardiogenic Contrast? Clinical Cardiology 2008; 31(4):148-52.
- Healey JS, Hart RG, Pogue J, Pfeffer MA, Hohnloser SH, DeCaterina RD, Flaker G, Yusuf S, Connolly SJ Risks and Benefits of Warfarin Compared with Clopidogrel Plus Aspirin in Patients with Atrial Fibrillation According to Stroke Risk: The ACTIVE-W. Stroke 2008;39(5):1482-6.
- Hsia J, Jablonski KA, rice MM, Sabatine MS, Zabalgoitia M, Maggioni A, Cuddy TE, Domanski MJ, Geller NL, Flaker G, Solomon S, Omland T, Rouleau JL on behalf of the PEACE investigators. Sudden Cardiac Death in Patients with Stable Coronary Artery Disease and Preserved Left Ventricular Systolic Function. Amer J Cardiology 2008; 101(4):457-61.
- Mielniczuk LM, Lamas GA, Flaker GC, Mitchell G, Smith SC, Gersh BJ, Solomon SD, Moye LA, Rouleau JL, Rutherford JD, Pfeffer MA. Left ventricular end-diastolic pressure and risk of subsequent heart failure in patients following an acute myocardial infarction. Congestive Heart Failure 2007;13 (4):209-14.
- Weachter R, Flaker G. Cardiac Resynchronization Therapy: Predictors of failures and strategies to overcome. Expert Rev Cardiovasc Ther. 2007; 5 (4): 625-28.
- Flaker G, Weachter R. In Cardiac Resynchronization Therapy: Should We Opt for AV Optimization? J Cardiovasc Electrophysiol. 2007; 18:1-2.