John Marshall, MD
Professor of Medicine
Deputy Director, Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology
Associate Director for Education
Associate Director, GI Fellowship Program
Chair, GI Quality Committee
Clinical and Research Interests
Colonoscopy, Esophageal Disorders, Gastroenterology, Endoscopy, Capsule endoscopy, Esophageal manometry and PH studies, Polypectomy
- Deputy Director, Division of Gastroenterology & Hepatology
- Associate Director for Education
- Associate Director, GI Fellowship Program
- Chair, GI Quality Committee
- Internal Medicine (ABIM)
- Gastroenterology (ABIM)
- University of Missouri Health Sciences Center (Columbia, MO) and University of Nebraska Medical Center (Omaha, NE)
- University of Missouri-Columbia
- University of Nebraska Medical Center (Omaha, NE)
- Alpha Omega Alpha
- Fellow, American College of Gastroenterology
- Fellow, American Society for Gastrointestinal Endoscopy
- Fellow, American Gastroenterological Association
- Selected as one of The Best Doctors in America: 1996-1998, 1998-2000, 2001-2002, 2003-2004, 2005-2006, 2007-2008, 2009-2010, and 2011-2012.
- School of Medicine Curriculum Board Teaching Excellence Award—Outstanding Lecturer Preclinical Curriculum, 2005
- Order of Socrates (Awarded to MU School of Medicine faculty who are "repeatedly cited for their excellence in teaching")
- Preparation for Endoscopy
1. Marshall JB, Moore GF, Settles RH. Colonic telangiectasias in scleroderma. Arch Intern Med 140:1121, 1980.
2. Marshall JB, Settles RH. Zollinger-Ellison syndrome: a clinical update. Postgrad Med 68:38-50, 1980.
3. Marshall JB, Forker AD. Tricyclic antidepressant overdose: clinical and cardiovascular features. Nebr Med J 65:77-80, 1980.
4. Marshall JB. Tricyclic overdose. JAMA 240:1900, 1980.
5. Marshall JB, Ecklund RE. Methemoglobinemia from overdose of nitroglycerin. JAMA 244:330, 1980.
6. Marshall JB. Sleep apnea syndrome. Nebr Med J 65:268-270, 1980.
7. Marshall JB, Gerhardt D. Polyposis coli presenting with Streptococcus bovis endocarditis. Am J Gastroenterol 75:314-316, 1981.
8. Marshall JB, Forker AD. The cardiovascular effects of tricyclic antidepressant drugs: therapeutic usage, overdose and management of complications. Am Heart J 103:401-414, 1982.
9. Marshall JB, Butt JH. Proctitis: approach to diagnosis, causes and treatment. J Clin Gastroenterol 4:431-444, 1982.
10. Marshall JB. The management of acute upper gastrointestinal bleeding. Postgrad Med 71:149-158, 1982.
11. Marshall JB. Pancreatic ascites and pleural effusions. Nebr Med J 67:252-255, 1982.
12. Marshall JB. Zollinger-Ellison syndrome: diagnosis and treatment. Missouri Med 79:147-158, 1982.
13. Marshall JB, Gerhardt D. Improvement in esophageal motor dysfunction with treatment of reflux esophagitis. Am J Gastroenterol 77:351-354, 1982.
14. Marshall JB, Ravendhran N, Sharp GC. Liver disease in mixed connective tissue disease. Arch Intern Med 143:1817-1818, 1983.
15. Marshall JB, Burnett DA, Anderson JC, Zetterman RK. Ascites progressing to an abdominal mass due to extramedullary hematopoiesis in agnogenic myeloid metaplasia (AMM). Dig Dis Sci 28:912-917, 1983.
16. Marshall JB, Burnett DA, Zetterman RK, Sorrell MF. Clinical and biochemical course of alcoholic liver disease following sudden discontinuation of alcohol consumption. Alcohol: Clin and Basic Res 7:312-315, 1983.
17. Marshall JB, Kelley DH, Vogele, KA. Giardiasis: diagnosis by endoscopic brush cytology of the duodenum. Am J Gastroenterol 79:517-519, 1984.
18. Marshall JB, Vogele KA. Management of retained common bile duct stones. South Dak J Med 37:15-18, 1984.
19. Marshall JB. Dysphagia: pathophysiology, causes and evaluation. Postgrad Med 77:58-68, 1985.
20. Marshall JB, Vogele KA. Therapeutic endoscopy. South Dak J Med 38:5-10, 1985.
21. Marshall JB. How to make consulta¬tions work. Postgrad Med 84:253-257, 1988.
22. Marshall JB. Finding the cause of ascites: ascites fluid evaluation. Postgrad Med 83:189-198, 1988.
23. Marshall JB, Vogele KA. Serum-ascites albumin difference in tuberculous peritonitis. Am J Gastroenterol 83:1259-1261, 1988.
24. Marshall JB. Dysphagia: diagnostic pitfalls and how to avoid them. Postgrad Med 85:243-260, 1989.
25. Marshall JB. Pneumatic dilatation for achalasia after fundoplication. J Clin Gastroenterol 11:154-157, 1989.
26. Marshall JB. Medical aspects of gastroesophageal reflux disease. Postgrad Med 85:92-100, 1989.
27. Sastri SV, Diaz-Arias AA, Marshall JB. Can pancreatitis be associated with amiodarone hepatotoxicity? J Clin Gastroenterol 12:70-73, 1990.
28. Marshall JB. Management of acute gastrointestinal bleeding. Postgrad Med 87:63-70, 1990.
29. Marshall JB, Berger WL. End-expiratory pressure best approximates intrinsic lower esophageal sphincter pressure. Dig Dis Sci 35:267-270, 1990.
30. Marshall JB, Diaz-Arias AA, Bochna GS, Vogele KA. Achalasia due to diffuse esophageal leiomyomatosis and inherited as an autosomal dominant disorder. Gastroenterology 98:1358-1365, 1990.
31. Marshall JB, Kretschmar JM, Gerhardt DC, Winship DH, Winn DM, Treadwell EL, Sharp GC. Gastrointestinal manifestations of mixed connective tissue disease. Gastroenterology 98:1232-1238, 1990.
32. Marshall JB. Diagnosis of esophageal motility disorders. Postgrad Med 87:81-94, 1990.
33. Marshall JB, Hoyt TS, Seger RM, Reid JC, Beyer KL, Butt JH. Air contrast barium enema after flexible proctosigmoidoscopy: a randomized controlled trial. Radiology 176:549-551, 1990.
34. Marshall JB, Kretschmar JM, Diaz-Arias AA. Gastroesophageal reflux in the pathogenesis of symptomatic lower esophageal (Schatzki) rings. Arch Intern Med 150:1669-1672, 1990.
35. Marshall JB. Chronic constipation in adults. Postgrad Med 88:49-63, 1990.
36. Marshall JB, Landreneau RJ, Beyer KL. Hiccups: esophageal manometric features and relationship to gastroesophageal reflux. Am J Gastroenterol 85:1172-1175, 1990.
37. Bridges AJ, Marshall JB, Diaz-Arias AA. Acute eosinophilic colitis and hypersensitivity reaction associated with naproxen therapy. Am J Med 89:526-527, 1990.
38. Marshall JB, Ravendhran N, Diaz-Arias AA. Esophageal achalasia associated with von Recklinghausen’s neurofibromatosis. J Clin Gastroenterol 12:710-711, 1990.
39. Landreneau RJ, Hazelrigg SR, Johnson JA, Marshall JB, Curtis JJ, Boley TM. Giant paraesophageal hernia. Missouri Med 87:884-888, 1990.
40. Landreneau RJ, Marshall JB, McClelland RN, Curtis JJ, Johnson JA, Hazelrigg SR. New surgical approach to complicated gastroesophageal reflux disease: Collis-Nissen fundoplication with transthoracic parietal cell vagotomy. Ann Thor Surg 51:128-130, 1991.
41. Beyer KL, Marshall JB, Metzler MH, Elwing TJ. Endoscopic management of retained cystic duct remnant stones. Am J Gastroenterol 86:232-234, 1991.
42. Beyer KL, Marshall JB, Diaz-Arias AA, Loy TS. Primary small cell carcinoma of the esophagus: report of eleven cases and review of the literature. J Clin Gastroenterol 13:135-141, 1991.
43. Marshall JB. Esophagogastric varices: ways to treat active episodes and prevent recurrence. Postgrad Med 89:147-158, 1991.
44. Landreneau RJ, Marshall JB, Johnson JA, Boley TM, Hazelrigg SR, Curtis JJ, McClelland RN. A new balanced operation for complex gastroesophageal reflux disease. Ann Thor Surg 52:325-327, 1991.
45. Beyer KL, Marshall JB, Metzler MH, Poulter JS, Seger RM, Diaz-Arias AA. Squamous cell carcinoma of the pancreas. Dig Dis Sci 37:312-318, 1992.
46. Landreneau RJ, Johnson JA, Marshall JB, Hazelrigg SR, Boley TM, Curtis JJ. The clinical spectrum of paraesophageal herniation. Dig Dis Sci 37:537-544, 1992.
47. Marshall JB. Chest pain in patients with normal coronary anatomy: new developments. Postgrad Med 91:213-222, 1992.
48. Marshall JB, Smart JR, Elmer C, Lillich MA, Diaz-Arias AA. Herpes esophagitis presenting with unsuspected esophageal food bolus impaction in an institutionalized patient. J Clin Gastroenterol 15:179-180, 1992.
49. Marshall JB. Polyps in the colon: answers to key questions. Postgrad Med 92:53-65, 1992.
50. Marshall JB, Bodnarchuk G. Carcinoid tumors of the GI tract: our experience over three decades and review of the literature. J Clin Gastroenterol 16:123-129, 1993.
51. Marshall JB. Acute pancreatitis: a review with an emphasis on new developments. Arch Intern Med 153:1185-1198, 1993.
52. Nagy SW, Marshall JB. Aorto-enteric fistulas: Recognizing a potentially catastrophic cause of gastrointestinal bleeding. Postgrad Med 93:211-222, 1993.
53. Marshall JB. Gastrointestinal and peritoneal tuberculosis. Am J Gastroenterol 88:989-999; 1993.
54. Marshall JB, Barthel JS. The frequency of total colonoscopy and terminal ileal intubation in the 1990s. Gastrointest Endosc 39:518-520, 1993.
55. Marshall JB, Diaz-Arias AA, Butt JH, Barthel JS, King PD. Prospective evaluation of optimal number of biopsy specimens and brush cytology in the diagnosis of cancer of the colorectum. Am J Gastroenterol 88:1352-1354, 1993.
56. Marshall JB, Pineda JJ, Barthel JS, King PD. Prospective, randomized trial comparing sodium phosphate solution with PEG-electrolyte lavage for the preparation of patients undergoing colonoscopy. Gastrointest Endosc 39:631-634, 1993.
57. Marshall JB, Russell JL. Achalasia mistakenly diagnosed as “eating disorder” and prompting prolonged psychiatric hospitalization. South Med J 86:1405-1407, 1993.
58. Marshall JB, Barthel JS, King PD. Prospective, randomized trial comparing a single-dose sodium phosphate solution regimen with PEG-electrolyte lavage for colonoscopy preparation. Aliment Pharmacol Ther 7:679-682, 1993.
59. Marshall JB. Current options in gallstone management. Postgrad Med 95:115-128, 1994.
60. Marshall JB, Bodnarchuk G, Barthel JS. Early accidental dislodgement of PEG tubes. J Clin Gastroenterol 18:210-212, 1994.
61. Marshall JB, McMurray R. Acute polyarthritis due to parvovirus B19. Postgrad Med 95:165-168, 1994.
62. Marshall JB, Bodnarchuk G, Singh A. Supine and upright radionuclide esophageal transit before and after treatment for achalasia. Clin Nuc Med 19:683-686, 1994.
63. Brown DN, Rosenholtz MJ, Marshall JB. Ischemic colitis related to cocaine abuse. Am J Gastroenterol 89:1558-1561, 1994.
64. Afridi SA, Jafri SF, Marshall JB. Do gastroenterologists follow the American Cancer Society recommendations for colorectal cancer screening on themselves? Am J Gastroenterol 89:2184-2187, 1994.
65. Marshall JB, Singh R, Demmy TL, Bickel JT, Everett ED. Mediastinal histoplasmosis presenting with esophageal involvement and dysphagia. Dysphagia 10:53-58, 1995.
66. Marshall JB, Singh R, Diaz-Arias AA. Chronic, unexplained diarrhea: are biopsies necessary? Am J Gastroenterol 90:372-376, 1995.
67. Marshall JB. Management of severe reflux esophagitis in the 1990s: medicine or surgery? Postgrad Med 97:98-106, 1995.
68. Afridi SA, Barthel JS, King PD, Pineda JJ, Marshall JB. A new sodium phosphate-bisacodyl regimen for outpatient colonoscopy preparation: prospective, randomized trial comparing it with PEG-lavage. Gastrointest Endosc 41: 485-489, 1995.
69. Komatireddy GR, Marshall JB, Aqel R, Spollen LE, Sharp GC. Association of systemic lupus erythematosus and gluten enteropathy. South Med J 88:673-676, 1995.
70. Barthel JS, Marshall JB, King PD, Afridi SA, Gibb LG, Madsen R. The effect of droperidol on objective markers of patient cooperation and vital signs during esophagogastroduodenoscopy: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, prospective investigation. Gastrointest Endosc 42:45-50, 1995.
71. Marshall JB. Technical proficiency of trainees learning colonoscopy: a learning curve. Gastrointest Endosc 42:287-291, 1995.
72. Brown DN, Miedema BW, King PD, Marshall JB. The safety of early feeding after percutaneous endoscopic gastrostomy. J Clin Gastroenterol 21:330-331, 1995.
73. Marshall JB. Colorectal cancer screening: present strategies and future prospects. Postgrad Med 99:253-264, 1996.
74. Diab FH, King PD, Barthel JS, Marshall JB. Efficacy and safety of combined meperidine and midazolam for EGD sedation compared with midazolam alone. Am J Gastroenterol 91:1120-1125, 1996.
75. Mahajan RJ, Marshall JB. Severe dysphagia, dysmotility and unusual saccular dilation of the esophagus following excision of an asymptomatic congenital cyst. Am J Gastroenterol 91:1254-1258, 1996.
76. Marshall JB, Chowdhury TA. Does empiric esophageal dilation benefit dysphagia when endoscopy is normal? Dig Dis Sci 41:1099-1101, 1996.
77. Nadir A, Agrawal S, King PD, Marshall JB. Acute hepatitis associated with the use of a Chinese herbal product, ma-hung. Am J Gastroenterol 91:1436-1438, 1996.
78. Marshall JB, Afridi SA, King PD, Barthel JS, Butt JH. Esophageal dilation with polyvinyl (American) dilators over a marked guidewire: practice and safety at one center over a 5-year period. Am J Gastroenterol 91:1503-1506, 1996.
79. Marshall JB, Brown DN. Photodocumentation of total colonoscopy: how successful are endoscopists? Do reviewers agree? Gastrointest Endosc 44:243-248, 1996.
80. Jafri SF, Marshall JB. Ascites associated with antibiotic-associated pseudomembranous colitis: case report and institutional series. South Med J 89:1014-1017, 1996.
81. Mahajan RJ, Barthel JS, Marshall JB. Open-access endoscopy: are the referrals appropriate? Arch Intern Med 156:2065-2069, 1996.
82. Diab FH, Marshall JB. Taste and palatability of five different colonic lavage solutions. Aliment Pharmacol Ther 10:815-819, 1996.
83. Mahajan RJ, Agrawal S, Barthel JS, Marshall JB. Are patients who undergo open-access endoscopy more anxious about their procedures than patients referred from the GI clinic? Am J Gastroenterol 1996; 91:2505-2508.
84. Marshall JB. Use of a pediatric colonoscope improves the success of total colonoscopy in selected adult patients. Gastrointest Endosc 1996; 44:675-678.
85. Thanigaraj S, Haibach H, Lott JA, Marshall JB. Marked hyperlipasemia following radiotherapy in a patient with cancer of the prostate. South Med J 1996; 89:1127-1128.
86. Early DS, Marshall JB. Colorectal cancer screening saves lives. Postgrad Med 1997; 102:48-52.
87. Mahajan RJ, Marshall JB. Prevalence of open-access GI endoscopy in the United States. Gastrointest Endosc 1997; 46:21-26.
88. Mahajan RJ, Johnson JC, Marshall, JB. Predictors of patient cooperation during endoscopy. J Clin Gastroenterol 1997; 24:220-223.
89. Patel M, Banerjee B, Block JG, Marshall JB. Gastric Crohn’s disease complicated by adenocarcinoma of the stomach: case report and review of the literature. Am J Gastroenterol 1997; 92:1368-1371.
90. Khosla R, Singh A, Miedema BW, Marshall JB. Cholecystectomy alleviates acalculous biliary pain in patients with a reduced gallbladder ejection fraction. South Med J 1997; 90:1087-1090.
91. Marshall JB. Overuse or underuse of endoscopy? The optimal indications. Gastrointest Endosc 1998; 48:656-658.
92. Marshall JB, Patel M, Mahajan RJ, Early DS, King PD, Banerjee B. Benefit of IV antispasmodic (hyosyamine sulfate) as premedication for colonoscopy: a randomized, placebo-controlled trial. Gastrointest Endosc 1999; 49:720-726.
93. Early DS, Saifuddin T, Johnson JC, King PD, Marshall JB. Patient attitudes toward undergoing colonoscopy without sedation. Am J Gastroenterol 1999; 94:1862-1865.
94. Banerjee B, Miedema B, Saifuddin T, Marshall JB. Intrasphincteric botulinum toxin for the diagnosis of sphincter of Oddi dysfunction. Surg Laparoscopy Endoscopy 1999; 9:194-196
95. Trivedi MH, Agrawal S, Muscato MS, Metzler MH, Marshall JB. High-grade synchronous cancers after renal transplantation: were immunosuppressive drugs to blame? Am J Gastroenterol 1999; 94:3359-3361.
96. Patel M, Miedema BW, James MA, Marshall JB. Percutaneous cholecystostomy is an effective treatment for high risk patients with acute cholecystitis. Am Surgeon 2000; 66:33-37.
97. Saifuddin T, Trivedi M, King PD, Madsen R, Marshall JB. Usefulness of a pediatric colonoscope for routine adult colonoscopy. Gastrointest Endosc 2000; 51:314-317.
98. Marshall JB. Measuring the location of rectal neoplasms. Gastrointest Endosc 2000; 52:590.
99. Marshall JB, Perez RA, Madsen RW. Usefulness of a pediatric colonoscope for routine colonoscopy in women who have had hysterectomies. Gastrointest Endosc 2002; 55:838-841.
100. Rex DK, Bond JH, Winawer S, Levin TR, Burt RW, Johnson DA, Kirk LM, Litlin S, Lieberman DA, Waye JD, Church J, Marshall JB, Riddell RH. Quality in the technical performance of colonoscopy and the continuous quality improvement process for colonoscopy: recommendations of the U.S. Multi-Society Task Force on Colorectal Cancer. Am J Gastroenterol 2002; 97:1296-1308.
101. Al-Shurieki SH, Marshall JB. Is the variable-stiffness pediatric colonoscope more effective than a standard adult colonoscope for outpatient adult colonoscopy? A randomized controlled trial. Digestive and Liver Diseases 2005; 37:698-704.
102. Marshall JB, Bragg J, Perez RA. Esophageal diverticula. eMedicine 2005; 6:1-13.
103. Marshall JB. “Time to move on? Let’s talk about it!” The Pharos (journal of Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society) 2006; 69:49-50.
104. Bechtold ML, Perez RA, Puli SR, Marshall JB. Effect of music on patients undergoing outpatient colonoscopy. World J Gastroenterol 2006; 12:7309-7312.
105. Hart PA, Ibdah JA, Marshall JB. Internationalization of high-impact gastroenterology journals, 1970-2005. Gut 2007; 56:895-896.
106. Bechtold ML, Holly JS, Thaler K, Marshall JB. Bravo (wireless) ambulatory esophageal pH monitoring: How do day 1 and day 2 results compare? World J Gastroenterol 2007; 13:4091-4095.
107. Marshall JB. How adequate is digital rectal exam for prostate cancer screening at colonoscopy? Can adequacy be improved? Dig Dis Sci 2008; 53:719-722.
108. Antillon MR, Bartalos CR, Miller ML, Diaz-Arias AA, Ibdah JA, Marshall JB. En bloc endoscopic dissection of a 14-cm lateral spreading adenoma of the rectum with involvement of the anal canal: Expanding the frontiers of endoscopic surgery (with videos). Gastrointest Endosc 2008; 67:332-337.
109. Sporn E, Miedema BW, Astudillo JA, Siddiqi SH, Marshall JB, Calaluce R, Cleveland DS, Loy TS, Thaler K. Evaluation of a novel endoluminal stapling procedure to restrict lower esophageal sphincter pressure and reduced reflux. Endoscopy 2008; 40:752-758.
110. Hart PA, Bechtold ML, Marshall JB, Choudhary A, Puli SR, Roy PK. Prophylactic antibiotics in necrotizing pancreatitis: A meta-analysis. South J Med 2008; 101:1126-1131.
111. Antillon MR, Bechtold ML, Bartalos CR, Marshall JB. Transgastric endoscopic necrosectomy with temporary metallic esophageal stent placement for the treatment of infected pancreas necrosis (with videos). Gastrointest Endosc 2009; 69:178-180.
112. Bechtold ML, Puli SR, Othman MO, Bartalos CR, Marshall JB, Roy PK. Effect of music on patients undergoing colonoscopy: A meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. Dig Dis Sci 2009; 54:19-24.
113. Antillon MR, Bartalos CR, Tiwari P, Marshall JB. Taking SpyGlass outside the GI tract lumen in conjunction with EUS to assist in the diagnosis of a pancreatic cystic lesion: case report with video. Gastrointest Endosc 2009; 69:591-593.
114. Marshall JB, Bechtold ML. Effect of music on colonoscopy. Am J Clin Med 2010; 7:151-154.
115. Marshall JB. Incidence of complications after colonoscopy: Capturing an elusive beast (editorial). Gastrointest Endosc 2011; 73:524-526.
116. Kilgore TW, Abdinoor AA, Szary NM, Schowengerdt SW, Yust JB, Choudhary A, Matteson ML, Puli SR, Marshall JB, Bechtold ML. Bowel preparation with split-dose PEG before colonoscopy: A meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. Gastrointest Endosc 2011; 73:1240-1245.
117. Marshall JB. Post-colonoscopy era ahead? Not immediately. AGA Perspectives 2011; 7:5-7.
118. Marshall JB. Should oral sodium phosphate solution return as the first-line preparation for colonoscopy? (editorial) Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol (in press).
119. Marshall JB. High quality bowel preparation: A cornerstone to the effectiveness of colonoscopy as a cancer prevention tool. ASGE Leading Edge (in press).
1. Paustian FF, Marshall JB. Intestinal tuberculosis. In: Berk JE, Haubrich WS, Kalser MH, Roth JLA, Schaffner F (eds). Bockus Gastroenterology, 4th ed, Philadelphia: WB Saunders, 1985: 2018-2036.
2. Marshall JB. Gastrointestinal hemorrhage. In: Conn RB, Borer WZ, Snyder JW (eds). Current Diagnosis (9th edition), Philadelphia: WB Saunders, 1997: 35-39.
3. Marshall JB. Four case studies in: Weber KT (ed). Medical Mysteries; Case-Based Learning in Internal Medicine. Columbia (MO): University Printing Services, 1997 [A Misérable Night at the Opera; One Schilling Short; Arthritis in Deadwood Territory; Of Mounds and Molehills].
4. Marshall JB, Bragg J, Perez RA. Diverticula of the esophagus. In: eMedicine (on-line book), 2000 (last revised 9/05).
5. Marshall JB. Continuous quality improvement in colonoscopy. In: Waye JD, Williams CB, Rex DK (eds). Colonoscopy: Principles and Practice. Malden (MA) & Oxford (UK): Blackwell Publishing, 2003, pp. 89-101.
6. Marshall JB. The small intestine and systemic diseases. In: Quigley EMM, Marsh MN (eds). The Small Intestine. Blackwell Scientific Publications (in press).
7. Marshall JB. The colonoscope insertion tube. In: Waye JD, Rex DK, Williams CB, (eds). Colonoscopy: Principles and Practice (2nd ed). Oxford (UK), 2009, pp. 292-300.
Published Book and Article Reviews
1. Marshall JB. Review of book entitled, “Differential Diagnosis in Abdominal Ultrasound” by Bissett RAL and Khan AN; Bailliere-Tindall, London, 1990. In: Postgrad Med 88:26, 1990.
2. Marshall JB. Duodenal ulcer disease - To treat H. pylori infection or not? (Summary and commentary on: Graham DY, Lew GM, Evans DG, et al. Effect of triple therapy (antibiotics plus bismuth) on duodenal ulcer healing: a randomized controlled trial. Ann Intern Med 1991; 115:266-269). In: PharmacoEconomics 1:298-299, 1992.
3. Marshall JB. Review of book entitled, “Gastrointestinal Bleeding”, edited by Sugawa C, Schuman BM, Lucas CE; Igaku-Shoin, New York, 1992. In: Am J Gastroenterol 88:324, 1993.
4. Marshall JB. Review of book entitled, “Gastroenterologic Endosonography: Textbook and Atlas” by Rösch T and Classen M; Thieme, Stuttgart and New York, 1992. In: Am J Gastroenterol 1993; 88:976-977.
5. Marshall JB. Review of book entitled, “Atlas of Clinical Gastrointestinal Endoscopy: Companion to Sleisenger and Fordtran’s Gastrointestinal Disease” by CM Wilcox; Philadelphia, WB Sanders, 1995. In: J Clin Gastroenterol 1996; 23:84.
6. Marshall JB. Review of book entitled,”Gastrointestinal, Hepatobiliary and Nutritional Physiology” by EB Chang, MD Sitrin, DD Black, Philadelphia, Lippincott-Raven Publishers, 1996. In: Am J Gastroenterol 1996; 91:2656.
7. Marshall JB. Reivew of book entitled, “Deglutition and Its Disorders: Anatomy, Physiology, Clinical Diagnosis, and Management”, edited by Perlman AL and Schulze-Delrieu K, Singular Publishing Group, San Diego, 1997. In: Am J Gastroenterol 1997; 92:1951.
8. Marshall JB. Review of book entitled, “Gastrointestinal Emergencies (2nd edition)”, edited by Mark Taylor, Williams and Wilkins, Baltimore, 1997. In: Am J Gastroenterol 1997; 92:1952.
9. Marshall JB. Discussion comments on an article, “Role of prophylactic antibiotics in laparoscopic cholecystectomy: a meta-analysis. J Gastrointest Surg 2008; 12:1853.