Ramez Sunna, MD
Associate Professor of Clinical Medicine
Clinical and Research Interests
Critical Care Medicine, Infectious Diseases
Division: Pulmonary, Critical Care and Environmental Medicine
Office Phone: 882-7413
Office Address: DC043.00, 1 Hospital Drive
- Medical Director, Respiratory Care Department, University Health System (11/10-present)
- Internal Medicine
- Pulmonary Medicine
- Critical Care Medicine
Councils & Committees
- Member. House Staff Organization – Executive Committee, University of MO-Columbia. Academic Year 2008-09.
- Residency: Internal Medicine, University of Missouri-Columbia
- Fellowship: Division of Pulmonary, Critical Care, and Environmental Medicine, Department of Internal Medicine, University of Missouri-Columbia
- Additional Training:
- Interventional Pulmonology Fellowship. Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center. Boston, MA. (5/10).
- Interventional Pulmonology Fellowship. Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center. Boston, MA. (3/10).
- Mechanical Ventilation Course. Phoenix, AZ. (8/09).
- ACCP Critical Care Medicine Board Review Course. Phoenix, AZ. (8/09).
- Interventional Pulmonology Rotation. Lahey Clinic/Tufts University. Boston, MA. (4/09).
- Sub-Specialty: Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine
- Charter Member. Quality Improvement Task Force. Department of Internal Medicine. University of Missouri-Columbia. 2007 – present.
- Instructor. Advanced Physical Diagnosis Course. First and second year medical students in the performance of history and physical exams. University of Missouri-Columbia.
- Chairman. Stethoscope and book drives for medical schools in third world countries.
- Volunteer- Bioterrorism Response Team. Critical Care and Infectious Diseases Services. University of Missouri – Columbia.
- Volunteer Recruiter. Department of Internal Medicine. University of Missouri- Columbia.
- Volunteer Teacher. S.T.A.T.S. (Students Teaching A.I.D.S. to Students) Program for childhood and adolescent A.I.D.S. education.
Honors & Awards
- Passed Critical Care Medicine Board Examination. October 27, 2009.
- "Show Me MNSICU Award" for Outstanding Performance in the areas of Patient and Staff Satisfaction. University Health System. Columbia, MO. April, 2009.
- Passed Pulmonary Medicine Board Examination. January 26, 2009.
- Elected as Chief Fellow for Academic Year 08-09. Division of Pulmonary, Critical Care, and Environmental Medicine. University of MO-Columbia. March, 2008.
- "Extra Mile Award." Department of Internal Medicine. University of Missouri-Columbia. January, 2004.
- American College of Chest Physicians
- Society of Critical Care Medicine
- American Thoracic Society
- American College of Physicians
- Guntur V. Principal Investigator. Co-investigators: Dhand R, Sunna R, et al. "Allegro ADX-0001 - Airway Epithelium Gene Expression in the Diagnosis of Lung Cancer." This is a Phase I/II human trial study to substantiate prediction accuracy of the 80 probe-set lung cancer biomarker for risk stratification of patients into high and low risk categories to aid in clinical evaluation of patients. The purpose of this trial is to develop a new, more sensitive, and less invasive test for diagnosing lung cancer at an earlier stage, when it can more easily be cured. The investigators hypothesize that certain genes are expressed differently in current and former smokers who have lung cancer, and this difference in gene expression may be a biomarker for lung cancer. Allegro Diagnostics, Inc. NCT 00746759. Dates: 3/2009 – 3/2011.
Additional Research Experience
- Effectiveness of high flow oxygen delivery devices in treating respiratory failure in the intensive care unit. Retrospective chart review. University of Missouri-Columbia. 2007 – Present.
- Effects of statins on prognosis in cancer patients. Retrospective analysis. University of Missouri-Columbia. 2007 – Present.
- Incidence of thromboembolic events in cirrhotic patients. Retrospective chart review. University of Missouri-Columbia. 2007 – 2009.
- Relation between COPD and sleep apnea syndromes. Retrospective Analysis. University of Missouri-Columbia. 2007 – 2009.
- Dabbagh O, Oza A, Prakash S, Sunna R, and Saettele TM. Coagulopathy Does not Protect Against Venous Thromboembolism in Hospitalized Patients with Chronic Liver Disease. CHEST 2010;137(5):1145-1149.
- Dabbagh O, Oza A, Prakash S, Oza A, and Sunna R. Coagulopathy Does Not Protect Against Venous Thromboembolism in Hospitalized Patients with Chronic Liver Disease. CHEST Meeting Abstracts 2008:134:s47001 (slide presentation).
- Sunna R, Goodin J, Driver S, Karpman C, Sahota P, Johnson J, Dabbagh O. The Relationship Between Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease and Obstructive Sleep Apnea. SLEEP 2008; 31(0561):A185 (Suppl).
- Sunna R, Whitacre T, Prakash S, Parker A, and Dabbagh O. Delivery of Oxygen via Humidified High-flow Nasal Cannula in Critically Ill Patients with Acute Hypoxemic Respiratory Failure. CHEST Meeting Abstracts 2008;134:p163003.
- Sunna R, Haddadin R, Johnson J, Dabbagh, O: Obesity Outcomes in Critical Illness: Meta-analysis of Fourteen Clinical Trials. Critical Care Medicine 2007; 35(12):A160 (Suppl).
- Rau KC, Sunna R, Jain S, Tabba M, Dhand R. The Case of Unresolving Pneumothorax. The Journal of Respiratory Disease 2005; 26:538-540.