Clinical and Research Interests
Hypertension (High Blood Pressure), Kidney (Renal) Disease
- 2013 - Present: Associate Chief of Staff for Research and Development, Harry S. Truman Memorial Veterans' Hospital
- 2008 - Present: Staff Physician Primary Care, Harry S. Truman Memorial Veterans' Hospital
- 2006 - Present: Associate Professor of Medicine, Division of Nephrology, Department of Medicine, University of Missouri
- 2007 - Diplomate in Nephrology (American Board of Medicine Specialties)
- 2005 - Specialist in Hypertension (American Society of Hypertension)
Councils & Committees
- 2011: Program Committee, NKF Annual Scientific Meetings, Las Vegas, NV
- 2010 - Present: Vice-Chair, Internal Medicine Research Council
- 2009 - Present: Chair, Associate Poster Competition-Annual Scientific Meeting of the American College of Physicians, Missouri Chapter
- 2009 - Present: Board of Directors- Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences Alumnae Representative
- Residency: 2001-2004 Department of Internal Medicine, University of Missouri, Columbia, MO
- Fellowship: 2005-2006 Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Nephrology, University of Missouri, Columbia, MO
Honors & Awards
- 2010 Provost Outstanding Junior Faculty Research and Creative Activity Award-University of Missouri
- 2010 Arthur Guytan New Investigator Award. The Consortium for Southeastern Hypertension Control. Charlestown, SC
- 2006 to Present - American Physiological Society
- 2005 to Present - Fellow, American Heart Association, Council for High Blood Pressure Research and Kidney and Cardiovascular Disease Council
- 2005 to Present - National Kidney Foundation
- 2009-2013 Angiotensin-II and Aldosterone mediated renal insulin resistance
- 2009-2011 Impact of Direct Renin Inhibition and AT₁R blockade on Cardiovascular And Renal Abnormalities associated with Insulin Resistance in Ren2 Rats: A Combitorial Strategy that targets the Cardiometabolic Syndrome
- 2005-2010 Exercise and the Metabolic Syndrome with Weight Regain
- 2009-2014 Ang II Opposes Insulin Meditated Vasorelaxation and Glucose Utilization
- 2008-2012 Mechanisms of Angiotensin II and Aldosterone Inhibition of Insulin Metabolic Signaling
Selected Publications in recent years
- Nistala R, Habibi J, Aroor A, Sowers JR, Hayden MR, Meuth A, Knight W, Hancock T, Klein T, DeMarco VG, Whaley-Connell A. DPP4 inhibition attenuates filtration barrier injury and oxidant stress in the zucker obese rat. Obesity. 2014t;22(10):2172-9.
- Tuttle KR, Bakris GL, Bilous RW, Chiang JL, de Boer IH, Goldstein-Fuchs J, Hirsch IB, Kalantar-Zadeh K, Narva AS, Navaneethan SD, Neumiller JJ, Patel UD, Ratner RE, Whaley-Connell AT, Molitch ME. Diabetic kidney disease: a report from an ADA Consensus Conference. Am J Kidney Dis. 2014;64(4):510-33.
- Habibi J, Hayden MR, Ferrario CM, Sowers JR, Whaley-Connell AT. Salt Loading Promotes Kidney Injury via Fibrosis in Young Female Ren2 Rats. Cardiorenal Med. 2014;4(1):43-52.
- Kurella Tamura M, Li S, Chen SC, Cavanaugh KL, Whaley-Connell AT, McCullough PA, Mehrotra RL. Educational programs improve the preparation for dialysis and survival of patients with chronic kidney disease. Kidney Int. 2014;85(3):686-92.
- Whaley-Connell A, Sowers JR. Implications for glucose measures in the diabetes control and complications trial/epidemiology of diabetes interventions and complications study. Diabetes. 2014;63(1):45-7.
- Whaley-Connell AT, Habibi J, Aroor A, Ma L, Hayden MR, Ferrario CM, Demarco VG, Sowers JR Salt loading exacerbates diastolic dysfunction and cardiac remodeling in young female Ren2 rats. Metabolism. 2013;62(12):1761-71.
- Mehrotra R, Peralta CA, Chen SC, Li S, Sachs M, Shah A, Norris K, Saab G, Whaley-Connell A, Kestenbaum B, McCullough PA. No independent association of serum phosphorus with risk for death or progression to end-stage renal disease in a large screen for chronic kidney disease. Kidney Int. 2013;84(5):989-97.
- Whaley-Connell AT, Tamura MK, Jurkovitz CT, Kosiborod M, McCullough PA Advances in CKD detection and determination of prognosis: executive summary of the National Kidney Foundation-Kidney Early Evaluation Program (KEEP) 2012 annual data report. Am J Kidney Dis. 2013;61(4 Suppl 2):S1-3.
- Whaley-Connell A, Sowers JR. Metabolic impact of adding a thiazide diuretic to captopril. Hypertension. 2013;61(4):765-6.
- Whaley-Connell A, Habibi J, Rehmer N, Ardhanari S, Hayden MR, Pulakat L, Krueger C, Ferrario CM, DeMarco VG, Sowers JR. Renin inhibition and AT(1)R blockade improve metabolic signaling, oxidant stress and myocardial tissue remodeling. Metabolism. 2013;62(6):861-72.
- Saab G, Bomback AS, McFarlane SI, Li S, Chen SC, McCullough PA, Whaley-Connell A. The association of parathyroid hormone with ESRD and pre-ESRD mortality in the Kidney Early Evaluation Program. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2012;97(12):4414-21.