Laura Schulz, PhD
- E-mail: SchulzL@health.missouri.edu
- Clinic: Reproductive and Perinatal Research
- Office: (573) 884-1408
- Lab Website
- 2002 - University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Ph.D. in Molecular and Integrative Physiology
Mentor: Janice M. Bahr
- 1998 - University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
M.S. in Molecular and Integrative Physiology
Mentor: Janice M. Bahr
- 1996 - University of Notre Dame
B.S in Biochemistry and Environmental Science
concentration in Honors Program
- 2005-2009 - University of Missouri, Columbia
Mentor: R. Michael Roberts
- 2002-2005 - Boston University
Postdoctoral Fellow, Instructor
Mentor: Eric P. Widmaier
Clinical and Research Interests
My research focuses on understanding mechanisms by which maternal physiology influences development of the placenta.
Currently none available.
- 2004 - Finalist, Trainee Research Platform Competition, Society for the Study of Reproduction
- 2004 - Postdoctoral Travel Fellowship, Lalor Foundation
- 2002 - Animal Genetics Oral Presentation Award, University of Illinois
- 2001 - 2nd place, oral presentation, 22nd Annual Minisymposium on Reproductive Biology, Northwestern University
- 2000-2002 - Reproductive Biology Training Grant (NIH)
- 1996-1999 - Systems & Integrative Physiology Training Grant (NIH)
- 1992 - Notre Dame Scholar
- 1992 - McElroy Scholarship
- 1992 - National Merit Finalist
- Schulz LC, Widmaier EP, Qiu J and Roberts RM. 2009. "Effect of leptin on mouse trophoblast giant cells." Biol Reprod. Mar;80(3):415-24
- Ghosh D, Srivastava GP, Xu D, Schulz LC and Roberts RM.2008. "The interaction between stress-activated protein kinase interacting protein 1 (SIN1/MAPKAP1) and poly(rc) binding protein-2(PCBP2): potential involvement in counteracting environmental stress." Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2008 Aug 19;105(33):11673-8. Epub Aug 7, 2008.
- Das, P, Ezashi, T, Schulz LC, Westfall, SD, Livingston, KA, Roberts, RM 2007 "Effects of FGF2 and oxygen in the BMP4-driven differentiation of trophoblast from human embryonic stem cells." Stem Cell Research 1(1):61-74.
- Schulz LC, Townsend K, Kunz TH, and Widmaier EP 2007 "Inhibition of Myotis lucifugus trophoblast invasiveness in vitro by immunoneutralization of leptin." Gen Comp Endo 150(1):59-65. Epub Aug 26, 2006.
- Schulz LC and Widmaier EP 2004 "The effect of leptin on mouse trophoblast cell invasion." Biol Reprod 71(6):1963-1967.
- Schulz LC and Bahr JM 2004 "Potential endocrine function of glucose-6-phosphate isomerase during implantation" Gen Comp Endo Jul;137(3):283-287.
- Zhao J, Kunz TH, Townsend K, Clamon Schulz L, and Widmaier EP 2004 "Leptin receptor expression increases in placenta but not hypothalamus during gestation in Mus musculus and Myotis lucifigus." Placenta 25(8-9):712-722
- Zhao J, Clamon Schulz L, Lola N, Li C, Kunz TH and Widmaier EP 2003 "Comparative analysis of expression and secretion of placental leptin in mammals." Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 285(2):R438-446.
- Schulz, LC and Bahr JM 2003 "Glucose-6-phosphate isomerase is necessary for embryo implantation in the domestic ferret." Proc Natl Acad Sci, USA 100(14):8561-8566.
- Schulz LC, Nelson RA, Pyter LM and Bahr JM 2003 "Induction of pseudopregnancy in the american black bear (Ursus americanus)." J Exp Zool 298A:162-166.