Dean P. Hainsworth, MD
George L. and Melna A. Bolm Distinguished Faculty Scholar in Ophthalmology
Professor of Ophthalmology, Retina/Vitreous
- E-mail: HainsworthD@health.missouri.edu
- Phone: (573) 884-1311
- Fax: (573) 884-8474
- Office: EC-135 Mason Eye Institute
- Medical School: University of Kentucky, Lexington
- Residency: University of Kentucky
- Additional Study: Fellowship in vitreo-retina, Duke University Eye Center, Durham, North Carolina
- Board Certification: Ophthalmology, 1991
- 2004 - Leadership Development for Physicians in Academic Health Centers - Harvard School of Public Health
- 1994-96 - Vitreoretinal Fellow, Duke University Eye Center
- 1991-94 - Resident, University of Kentucky Department of Ophthalmology
- 1990-91 - Internal Medicine Internship, University of Kentucky, Dept. of Internal Medicine
- 1986-90 - University of Kentucky, College of Medicine, M.D.
- 1980-81 - Brigham Young University, B.A. Chemistry
- American Academy of Ophthalmology
- Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology
- Missouri Society of Eye Physicians and Surgeons
- Alpha Omega Alpha; elected in Junior year
- President of chapter 1989-90
Research TopicsClinical Interests
- Vitreoretinal Surgery
- Fluorescein Angiography
- Macular Degeneration
- Diabetic Retinopathy
- Battens Disease
- Diabetic Macular Edema
- Sustained Release Drug Devices
Honors and Awards
- Heed Foundation Fellow, 1994-95
University of Kentucky
- Resident Teaching Award, 1994
- Kentucky Colonel, 1994
- Resident Research Award, 1993
- Albert B. Chandler Memorial Award, 1990
- Munich Memorial Scholarship, 1989-90
- McCauley Scholarship, 1988-89
- Student Summer Research Fellowship, 1987, 1988
- Scripture Award, 1988
- McGraw-Hill Book Award, 1987
- Miller Scholarship, 1986-88
Brigham Young University
- Undergraduate Grant in Chemistry, 1984
- Barratt Scholarship, 1983
- Presidential Scholarship, 1980-81
Hainsworth Appointed Medical Director for Clinical Research
Sept. 19, 2014
We’re pleased to announce the appointment of Dean P. Hainsworth, MD, professor of ophthalmology, as medical director for clinical research at the School of Medicine, effective Oct. 1.
As medical director for clinical research, Dr. Hainsworth will be responsible for overseeing the development of a productive, compliant, accessible clinical research program for students, trainees and faculty. His job duties will include oversight of the operations of the Clinical Research Center. He will lead School of Medicine and campus efforts to expand clinical research in both investigator-initiated studies and industry-sponsored studies. An area of particular focus will be expanding our Phase 1 clinical trial capabilities and reaching out to industry for research support.
A member of the School of Medicine faculty since 1996, Dr. Hainsworth also serves as chief of the vitreoretinal service at the Harry S. Truman Memorial Veterans Hospital. He is a graduate of the University of Kentucky College of Medicine and also completed an internship and residency at Kentucky. Dr. Hainsworth completed a vitreoretinal fellowship at Duke University Medical Center. He is board-certified in ophthalmology.
Dr. Hainsworth’s research focuses on retinal disease and treatment, especially among diabetic patients. He is currently the principal or co-investigator for four research grants, including two sponsored by the National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases.
At this important juncture in our transformational effort in clinical and translational science at the School of Medicine and across the MU campus, we appreciate Dr. Hainsworth’s willingness to assume this key leadership role. Please join us in supporting him as he undertakes these important additional responsibilities.
Jamal A. Ibdah, MD, PhD
Sr. Associate Dean for Research
Director, MU Institute for Clinical and Translational Science
Leslie W. Hall, MD
School of Medicine
None currently listed.
Selected Publications1. King BJ, Hainsworth DP, Conklin JD, Ashton P, In Vitro Corneal Permeation of Thimerosal in the Rabbit Model, J Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 1992;33:4,1527.
2. Hainsworth DP, Rafii MJ, Conklin JD, Ashton P, Comparative Study of Intravitreally Injected and Sustained Release Flurbiprofen, J Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 1993;34:4,1491.
3. Baker CW, Hainsworth DP, Conklin JD, Ashton P, In Vitro and In Vivo Evaluation of Intravitreal Sustained Release Dexamethasone Devices, J Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 1993;34:4,1492.
4. Newell SW, Hainsworth DP, Sanford D, Ashton P, Clearance and Metabolism of Intravitreal Triamcinolone, J Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 1993;34:4,1425.
5. Conklin JD, King BJ, Hainsworth DP, Ashton P, Distribution and Elimination of Dexamethasone after Intravitreal Injection, J Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 1993;34:4,1425.
6. Bierly JR, Hainsworth DP, Schmeisser ET, Baker RS, Effect of Extraocular Muscle Surgery on Corneal Topography, J Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 1993;34:4,1249.
7. Bierly JR, Hainsworth DP, Newell SW, Fungal Endophthalmitis Following Carotid Endarterectomy, 27th Annual Ocular Microbiology and Immunology Group Meeting, Nov. 1993, Chicago.
8. Hainsworth DP, Conklin JD, Ashton P, Intravitreal Ciprofloxacin Via a Bioerodable Sustained Release Device, J Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 1994;35:4,1994.
9. Anderson CW, Bierly JR, Litteral G, Hainsworth DP, Gross JC, Clinical Evaluation of the Novalens-Perception Multifocal Contact Lens, CLAO, 1995 Meeting.
10. Hainsworth DP, Chen S, Berger AS, Cynkowski T, Cynkowski G, Crooks PA, Ashton P, Jaffe GJ, Safety and Pharmacokinetics of an Intravitreal Suspension of a Triamcinolone/5-FU Co-Drug, J Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 1995;36:4,162.
11. Jaffe GJ, Berger AS, Hainsworth DP, Ashton P, Intravitreal Sustained Release Triamcinolone/5-FU Conjugate Suspension in the Treatment of Experimental PVR, J Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 1995;36:4,161.
12. Chen S, Dass AB, Kaynan A, Hainsworth DP, McDonald J, Houston LL, Jaffe GJ, Effect of bFGF-Saporin Mitotoxin on the Proliferation of Human Retinal Pigment Epithelial Cells, J Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 1995;36:4,203.
13. Chen S, Hainsworth DP, Cox TA, Jaffe GJ, Condensation on Polymethylmethacrylate, Acrylic Polymer and Silicone Intraocular Lenses after Vitrectomy and Fluid-Air Exchange, J Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci, 1996;37:3,399.
14. Yang DCS, Khawly JA, Hainsworth DP, Chen S, Ashton P, Guo H, Jaffe GJ, Efficacy and Pharmacokinetics of Intravitreal Sustained Release Triamcinolone/5-FU Co-drug Suspension in the Treatment of Experimental PVR, J Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 1996;37:3,582.
15. Hainsworth DP, Chen SN, Cox TA, Lambert R, Moisture Condensation on Foldable Intraocular Lenses (IOLS) Influences the Retinal View During Vitrectomy Surgery, American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery (ASCRS), 1996 Meeting, Seattle, WA.
16. Hainsworth DP, Todd KC, Lee LR, A Comparative Analysis of the Ratio of Males-to-Females Diagnosed with Idiopathic Central Serous Chorioretinopathy, J Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 1999; 40:4, 484.
17. Lee LR, Hainsworth DP, Hamm CW, Effect of Temperature on the Frequency and Quality of Adverse Reactions to Intravenous Fluorescein Angiography, J Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 1999; 40:4, 486.
18. Hamm CW, Hainsworth DP, Lee LR, Effect of Warming Fluorescein Na on the Severity and Incidence of Nausea Following Fluorescein Angiography, Ophthalmic Photographers’ Society, 1999 Meeting, Orlando, FL.
19. Hainsworth DP, Todd KC, Ranson NT, Gigantelli JW, Retinal Vascular Alterations Associated with Dome-shaped and Mushroom-shaped Choroidal Melanomas, J Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 2000; 41:4, 380.
20. Kaur H, Hainsworth DP, Caldwell CW, Intravenous Fluorescein Angiography Effects on Interpretation of Lymphocyte Flow Cytometry, J Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 2000; 41:4, 171.
21. DeWitt CA, Johnson LN, Schoenleber DB, Hainsworth DP, Madsen RW, Visual Function in Optic Atrophy, J Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 2000; 41:4, 311.
22. Hainsworth DP, Katz ML, Wright EJ, Sturek M, Retinal Capillary Basement Membrane Thickening in a Porcine Model of Diabetic Dyslipidemia, J Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci; 2001; 40:4, 209.
23. Johnson LN, Schoenleber DB, Hainsworth DP, Visual Function in Optic Atrophy, American Academy of Ophthalmology Annual Meeting, November, 2001.
24. Hainsworth DP, Katz ML, Hamm CW, Koederitz NM, Funduscopic and Angiographic Appearance of Batten Disease, J Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci; 2002; ARVO.
25. VanZee A, Jumper JM, Hainsworth DP, McCuen BW, Traumatic Macular Holes: A Comparison of Surgical Repair to Natural History, J Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci; 2003; ARVO
26. Hainsworth DP, Xie L, Reneker L, Sharma K, Sommerville D, Synuclein Distribution in Mouse and Human Ocular Tissue, J Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci; 2004; ARVO
27. Lei B, Dierks D, Zhang K, Hainsworth DP, Intravitreal Triamcinolone Acetonide Augments the Rod Electroretinogram (ERG) b-Wave in Rabbit, J Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci; 2005; ARVO
28. Cho B, Hainsworth DP, Reneker L, Insulin Can Stimulate Vascular Cell Growth in the Eye of Transgenic Mice, J Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci; 2005; ARVO
29. Danis RP, Davis MD, White N, Hainsworth DP, Hubbard L, Sun W, EDIC Research Group, 10-Year Retinopathy Outcomes in the EDIC Cohort: Effect of the Original DCCT Treatment Group Assignment, J Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci; 2005; ARVO
30. Thomas E, Hainsworth DP, Intravitreal Concentration of Sub-Tenon’s Injected Triamcinolone Acetonide, J Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci; 2005; ARVO
31. Sommerville DN, Hainsworth DP, Liu D, Incidence of Lid Ptosis Following Vitreo-Retinal Surgery, J Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci; 2006; ARVO
32. Hainsworth DP, Smarr, M, Dhand R, Intraocular Penetration of Fluorescein via Aerosol Drug Delivery System to the Cornea in Rabbits, J Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci; 2006; ARVO
33. Narfstrom K, Warfvinge K, Schwartz PH, Young MJ, Tullis G, Eftekhari S, Hamm C, Hainsworth D, Klassen H, Integration of Feline Neural Precursor Cells After Subretinal Transplantation Into Abyssinian Cats Affected With Hereditary Retinal Degeneration, J Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci; 2007; ARVO
34. Sommerville DN, Hainsworth DP, Liu D, Incidence of Lid Ptosis Following Vitreo-Retinal Surgery, American Academy of Ophthalmology Annual Meeting; 2006
35. Fenberg,MJ, Hainsworth DP, Rieger F, Vitrectomy as a Risk Factor for Capsular Rupture, Zonular Dehiscence, or Lens Dislocation, American Academy of Ophthalmology Annual Meeting; 2007
36. Shukla R, Katti K, Kannan R, Hainsworth DP, Extended Release Avastin Conjugated Gold Nanoparticles, 2009, ARVO