David Volgas, MD
Associate Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery
- Clinical and basic science research into role of inflammatory mediators in multi-trauma patients
- Clinical and basic research into assessment of soft tissue injury and its role in fracture healing
- Clinical research into incidence, identification and treatment of depression in orthopaedic trauma patients
- Clinical research in periarticular fractures of the shoulder and ankle
David Volgas, MD
Associate Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery
Orthopaedic Trauma Division
Administrative Assistant -- Trauma
- Diplomat of American Board of Orthopaedic Surgeons (1997)
- Diplomat of the National Board of Medical Examiners (1988)
- B.A.: Rhodes College (Formerly Southwestern at Memphis) Memphis, TN
- Pre-Med: Memphis State University, Memphis, TN
- EMT Certification: Shelby State Community College, Memphis, TN
- M.D.: University of Tennessee, College of Medicine, Memphis, TN
- 2005 –2010: Associate Professor, University of Alabama at Birmingham School of Medicine Department of Surgery, Orthopaedic Div.
- 1998-2005: Assistant Professor, University of Alabama at Birmingham School of Medicine Department of Surgery, Orthopaedic Div.
- 2003-2008: Program Director, University of Alabama at Birmingham, School of Medicine, Department of Surgery, Orthopaedic Div.
- 2001-2003: Director of Residency, University of Alabama at Birmingham, School of Medicine, Department of Surgery, Orthopaedic Div.
- 1996-1998: Clinical Instructor in Surgery, Department of Surgery, Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences
- 1995-1998: Clinical Instructor, Orthopaedic Surgery Service, Brooke Army Medical Center San Antonio, TX
Non Academic Appointments
- 2008-2010: Director, The Fragility Fracture Center
- 2003-2008: Director, Orthopaedic University of Alabama at Birmingham Residency Program School of Medicine, Department of Surgery, Orthopaedic Division
- 1998-Present: University of Alabama at Birmingham Hospital
- 2006-Present: UAB Highlands, Birmingham, AL
- 1998-Present: The Children's Hospital, Birmingham, AL
- 2005-Present: Cooper-Green Hospital, Birmingham, AL
Honors & Awards
- 2009-2010 Best Doctors in America
- Kurt M.W. Niemann, M.D. Faculty Teaching Award, UAB Orthopaedic Residency, 2001
- President, Honor Council, UT School of Medicine, 1986-1987
- Fellow, American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- Member, AO North America
- Member, Orthopaedic Trauma Association
- Member, Academic Orthopaedic Society
- Member at Large, Alabama Orthopaedic Society
- Member, Ruth Jackson Orthopaedic Society
- Member, Jefferson County Medical Society
- Member, American Organization for Foot and Ankle Surgery
- Member, Alabama Orthopaedic Society
- Member, AO North America
- Member, Health Information and Management System Society (2007-Present)
- Della Rocca GJ, Uppal HS, Copeland ME, Volgas DA, Crist BD. Geriatric patients with fractures below the hip are medically similar to geriatric hip fracture patients. Geriatr Orthop Surg Rehabil. 20156:28-32.
- Robertson DS, Jenkins T, Murtha YM, Della Rocca GJ, Volgas DA, Stannard JP, Crist BD. Effectiveness of Vitamin D therapy in orthopaedic trauma patients. J Orthop Trauma, 2015 Nov;29(11):e451-3.
- Stannard JP, Nuelle CW, McGwin G, Volgas DA. Hinged external fixation in the treatment of knee dislocations: a prospective randomized study. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2014 Feb 5;96(3):184-91.
- Uppal H, Peterson B, Misfeldt M, Della Rocca GJ, Volgas DA, Murtha YM, Stannard JP, Choma T, Crist BD. The viability of cells obtained using the Reamer-Irrigator-Aspirator system and in bone graft from the iliac crest. Bone and Joint J, 2013 Vol. 95-B, No. 9, September 2013
- Ponce BA, Thompson KJ, Raghava P, Eberhardt AW, Tate JP, Volgas DA, Stannard JP. The role of medial comminution and calcar restoration in varus collapse of proximal humeral fractures treated with locking plates. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2013 Aug 21;95(16):e113(1-7).
- Della Rocca GJ, Moylan KC, Crist BD, Volgas DA, Stannard JP, Mehr DR. Co-management of geriatric patients with hip fractures: a retrospective, controlled, cohort study, Geriatr Orthop Surg Rehabil. 2013 Mar;4(1):10-5.
- Capito N, Gregory MH, Volgas D, Sherman SL. Evaluation and management of an irreducible posterolateral knee dislocation, J Knee Surg. 2013 Dec;26 Suppl 1:S136-41.
- Volgas DA Management of talus fractures. Orthopaedic Knowledge Online Journal 2013;1(1)
- Stannard JP, Black BS, Azbell C, Volgas DA. Posteromedial corner injury in knee dislocations. J Knee Surg. 2012 Nov;25(5):429-34.
- Narongroeknawin P, Patkar NM, Shakoory B, Jain A, Curtis JR, Delzell E, Lander PH, Lopez-Ben RR, Pitt MJ, Safford MM, Volgas DA, Saag KG. Validation of diagnostic codes for subtrochanteric, diaphyseal, and atypical femoral fractures using administrative claims data. J Clin Densitom. 2012 Jan-Mar;15(1):92-102.
- Stannard JP, Volgas DA, McGwin G 3rd, Stewart RL, Obremskey W, Moore T, Anglen JO. Incisional negative pressure wound therapy after high-risk lower extremity fractures. J Orthop Trauma. 2012 Jan;26(1):37-42.
- Stannard JP, Bankston L, Futch LA, McGwin G, Volgas DA. Functional outcome following intramedullary nailing of the femur: a prospective randomized comparison of piriformis fossa and greater trochanteric entry portals. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2011 Aug 3;93(15):1385-91.
- Stannard JP, Lopez R, Volgas D. Soft tissue injury of the knee after tibial plateau fractures. J Knee Surg. 2010 Dec;23(4):187-92.
- Volgas DA, Burch T, Stannard JP, Ellis T, Bilotta J, Alonso JE. Fat embolus in femur fractures: a comparison of two reaming systems. Injury. 2010 Nov;41 Suppl 2:S90-3.
- Stewart RL, Cox JT, Volgas D, Stannard J, Duffy L, Waites KB, Chu TM. The use of a biodegradable, load-bearing scaffold as a carrier for antibiotics in an infected open fracture model. J Orthop Trauma. 2010 Sep;24(9):587-91.
- Stannard JP, Singanamala N, Volgas DA. Fix and flap in the era of vacuum suction devices: What do we know in terms of evidence based medicine? Injury. 2010 Aug;41(8):780-6.
- Volgas D, DeVries JG, Stannard JP. Short-term financial outcomes of pilon fractures. J Foot Ankle Surg. 2010 Jan-Feb;49(1):47-51.
- Stannard JP, Sathy AK, Moeinpour F, Stewart RL, Volgas DA. Quantitative analysis of growth factors from a second filter using the Reamer-Irrigator-Aspirator system: description of a novel technique. Orthop Clin North Am. 2010 Jan;41(1):95-8.
- Stannard JP, Volgas DA, Stewart R, McGwin G Jr, Alonso JE. Negative pressure wound therapy after severe open fractures: a prospective randomized study. J Orthop Trauma. 2009 Sep;23(8):552-7.
- Stannard JP, Robinson JT, Anderson ER, McGwin G Jr, Volgas DA, Alonso JE. Negative pressure wound therapy to treat hematomas and surgical incisions following high-energy trauma. J Trauma. 2006 Jun;60(6):1301-6.
- Stannard JP, Lopez-Ben RR, Volgas DA, Anderson ER, Busbee M, Karr DK, McGwin GR Jr, Alonso JE. Prophylaxis against deep-vein thrombosis following trauma: a prospective, randomized comparison of mechanical and pharmacologic prophylaxis. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2006 Feb;88(2):261-6.
- Stannard JP, Brown SL, Robinson JT, McGwin G Jr, Volgas DA. Reconstruction of the posterolateral corner of the knee. Arthroscopy. 2005 Sep;21(9):1051-9.
- Stannard JP, Singhania AK, Lopez-Ben RR, Anderson ER, Farris RC, Volgas DA, McGwin GR Jr, Alonso JE. Deep-vein thrombosis in high-energy skeletal trauma despite thromboprophylaxis. J Bone Joint SurgBr. 2005 Jul;87(7):965-8.
- Stannard JP, Brown SL, Farris RC, McGwin G Jr, Volgas DA. The posterolateral corner of the knee: repair versus reconstruction. Am J Sports Med. 2005 Jun;33(6):881-8. Epub 2005 Apr 12.
- Volgas DA, Stannard JP, Alonso JE. Current orthopaedic treatment of ballistic injuries. Injury. 2005 Mar;36(3):380-6.
- Volgas DA, Stannard JP, Alonso JE. Ballistics: a primer for the surgeon.
- Injury. 2005 Mar;36(3):373-9.
- Stannard JP, Wilson TC, Volgas DA, Alonso JE. The less invasive stabilization system in the treatment of complex fractures of the tibial plateau: short-term results. J Orthop Trauma. 2004 Sep;18(8):552-8.
- Stannard JP, Sheils TM, Lopez-Ben RR, McGwin G Jr, Robinson JT, Volgas DA. Vascular injuries in knee dislocations: the role of physical examination in determining the need for arteriography. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2004 May;86-A(5):910-5.
- Volgas DA, Stannard JP, Alonso JE. Nonunions of the humerus. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2004 Feb;(419):46-50. Review.
- Stannard JP, Harris HW, McGwin G Jr, Volgas DA, Alonso JE. Intramedullary nailing of humeral shaft fractures with a locking flexible nail. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2003 Nov;85-A(11):2103-10.
- Stannard JP, Wilson TC, Volgas DA, Alonso JE. Fracture stabilization of proximal tibial fractures with the proximal tibial LISS: early experience in Birmingham, Alabama (USA). Injury. 2003 Aug;34 Suppl 1:A36-42.
- Stannard JP, Sheils TM, McGwin G, Volgas DA, Alonso JE. Use of a hinged external knee fixator after surgery for knee dislocation. Arthroscopy. 2003 Jul-Aug;19(6):626-31.
- Stannard JP, Riley RS, Sheils TM, McGwin G Jr, Volgas DA. Anatomic reconstruction of the posterior cruciate ligament after multiligament knee injuries. A combination of the tibial-inlay and two-femoral-tunnel techniques. Am J Sports Med. 2003 Mar-Apr;31(2):196-202.
Book & Video Chapters
- Volgas DA. “Soft Tissue Injuries,” AO Techniques and Principles for the Operating Room; Porteus, M, Baeurle S, eds., AO / Thieme Publishing; pp 123-131, 2010
- Volgas DA, Stewart RL. “Fractures of the Upper Extremity,” Trauma: Contemporary Principles and Therapy. Flint L, Meredith JW, Schwab CW, Trunkey DD, Rue L, eds. Philadelphia, PA, Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; pp 503-511, 2008
- Volgas DA. “The Care of the Soft-Tissue Envelope,” Surgical Treatment of Orthopaedic Trauma, Stannard et al Eds., Thieme Publications, Inc. March 2007
- Volgas DA. “The Reverse-Flow Sural Artery Flap” Technique Video, Surgical Treatment of Orthopaedic Trauma, Stannard et al Eds., Thieme Publications, Inc., March 2007
- Volgas DA. “Soleus Flap” Technique Video, Surgical Treatment of Orthopaedic Trauma, Stannard et al Eds., Thieme Publications, Inc. March 2007
- Volgas DA. “Gastrocnemius Flap” Technique Video, Surgical Treatment of Orthopaedic Trauma, Stannard et al Eds., Thieme Publications, Inc. March 2007
- Volgas DA. “Soft-Tissue Injury,” Orthopaedic Knowledge Update: Trauma 3, Baumgaertner M and Tornetta III P, eds. Rosemont, IL, American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons Publishing; pp 59-64, 2005
- Volgas DA. “Soft Tissue Injury,” AO Principles of Fracture Management, 2nd Ed. 2005
- Volgas DA, Smith JM. “Logistics of Coverage of Open Tibia Fractures,” Orthopaedic Trauma Association Newsletter Survey, October 2003
- Volgas DA, Harder Y, eds. AO Manual of Soft Tissue Trauma for Orthopaedic Surgeons, AO Publishing; December 2011.