The Shelden Clinical Simulation Center uses a broad range of simulation methods to educate students and health care professionals to provide effective patient-centered care.
The center enhances all levels of medical education, from novice to practicing health care professionals. Individuals and teams build competency through experiential learning, assessment and feedback. Patient-centered simulation and standardized patient encounters provide structured practice in a safe environment with a focus on:
- Health, safety and satisfaction of our patients
- Clinical knowledge and decision making
- Communication skills
- Situational awareness
- Collaborative teamwork
- Ethical behavior
- High quality, effective care
The center is dedicated to the continuous improvement of people and processes and the transformation of health care education through research, hard work, life-long learning, and clinical and academic excellence.
- The health and safety of our patients is our first priority.
- We choose to be ethical in all situations.
- We cultivate an environment of trust, collaboration, respect, honesty, teamwork and constructive feedback.
- We hold ourselves responsible in our duty to our patients, colleagues and learners. We will not permit consideration of religion, nationality, race, sexual orientation, party politics or social standing to intervene.
- The attitudes, values and behaviors of future physicians are shaped by the social and cultural milieu of the institution. All of our interactions will model the professionalism expected of health care professionals.
- Learning requires trust in the value of knowledge, the process of discovery, and the importance of feedback. We strive to achieve the most effective learning environment by engaging in activities designed to promote critical thinking, problem solving, teamwork, evaluation and analysis of actions, both individually and as part of a team.
- We aspire to an excellence that is achieved through diligent effort, both individual and collective. Pursuing excellence means being satisfied with no less than the highest goals we can envision.
- Through research and evidence-based practice, we provide realistic experiences in all phases of professional development, thus proving our commitment to life-long learning and discovery.