- Eldercare technologies
- Intelligent medical systems
- Medical anlytics
Areas of Expertise
- Non-wearable sensor systems
- Unsupervised machine learning
- Medical image processing
- Associate Professor
2003, PhD, University of Missouri
Awards & Honors
- Franklin V. Taylor Memorial Award for the “best conference paper” at the 2011 IEEE Systems, Man, and Cybernetics Society Conference in Anchorage, Alaska, 4-6 October, 2011.
- “Best short paper” award at the IEEE 13th International Conf. on e-Health Networking, Applications and Services, Columbia, MO, June 13-15, 2011.
- “Best poster” at the 5th International Conference on Pervasive Computing Technologies for Healthcare, Dublin, Ireland, May 23-26, 2011.
LocationsOne Hospital Drive
Columbia, Missouri, 65212
- Liu L, Popescu M, Skubic M, Rantz M, Cuddihy P, “An automatic in-home fall detection system using Doppler radar signatures”, Journal of Ambient Intelligence and Smart Environments 8 (4), 453-466, 2016
- Fenton R, Popescu M, Moxley D, “Hospital personnel attitude toward utilization of depth imaging technology in hospital rooms”, Missouri Medicine, January/February 2016, 113:1, pp. 79-84.
- Hajihashemi Z, Popescu M., “A Multidimensional Time Series Similarity Measure with Applications to Eldercare Monitoring”, IEEE J Biomed Health Inform. 2015 Apr 20, 10.1109/JBHI.2015.2424711, PubMed ID 25910260. (impact factor 1.44)
- J. Kapp, M. Popescu, E.J Simoes, “A Hierarchical Framework for Population Health Surveillance: A Dashboard Approach”, J. Health Med Informat 2015, 6;4, doi: 10.4172/2157-7420.S1.006. (impact factor 4.8)
- Rantz, M., Skubic, M., Abbott, C., Galambos, C., Popescu, M., Keller, J., Stone, E., Back, J., Miller, S.J., & Petroski, G.F. (2015). Automated in-home fall risk assessment and detection sensor system for elders. The Gerontologist, 55(S1), S78-S87. (impact factor 3.23)
- Popejoy, L.L., Stetzer, F., Hicks, L., Rantz, M.J, Galambos, C., Popescu, M., Khalilia, M.A.& Marek, K.D. Comparing Aging in Place to Home Health Care: Impact of Nurse Care Coordination on Utilization and Costs. Nursing Economics. 2015 Nov-Dec;33(6):306-13. (impact factor 0.8)
- 36. Banerjee, T., Keller, J., Popescu, M., Skubic, M., “Recognizing Complex Instrumental Activities of Daily Living Using Scene Information and Fuzzy Logic”, Computer Vision and Image Understanding 04/2015; DOI: 10.1016/j.cviu.2015.04.005. (impact factor: 1.36).
- Khalilia, M., Bezdek, J., Popescu, M., Keller, J., “Improvements to the Relational Fuzzy c-Means Clustering Algorithm”, Pattern Recognition, Volume 47, Issue 12, December 2014, pp. 3920–3930.
- M. Khalilia, M. Popescu, “Relational Fuzzy Self-Organizing Maps for Cluster Visualization and Summarization”, International Journal of Uncertainty, Fuzziness and Knowledge-Based Systems, Vol. 22, No. 6 (2014) 913−940.
- MJ. Rantz, M Skubic, M. Popescu, C Galambos, RJ. Koopman, GL. Alexander, LJ. Phillips, K Musterman, J Back, SJ. Miller, “A New Paradigm of Technology Enabled “Vital Signs” for Early Detection of Health Change”, Gerontology, Nov. 2014, DOI: 10.1159/000366518.
- A. Wilbik, U. Kaymak, J.M. Keller, M. Popescu, “Evaluation of the Truth Value of Linguistic Summaries – Case with Non-monotonic Quantifiers”, P. Angelov et al. (eds.), Intelligent Systems’ 2014, Advances in Intelligent Systems and Computing 322, Springer, pp. 69-79.
- L. Popejoy, M. Khalilia, M. Popescu, C. Galambos, V. Lyons, M. Rantz, L. Hicks, “Quantifying Care Coordination Using Natural Language Processing and Domain Specific Ontology”, Journal of American Medical Informatics Association, 2014 Oct 16, pii: amiajnl-2014-002702. doi: 10.1136/amiajnl-2014-002702.
- M. Khalilia, M. Popescu, “Topology Preservation in Fuzzy Self-Organizing Maps”, Springer Studies in Fuzziness and Soft Computing Series, Advanced Trends in Soft Computing, 01/2014; 312:105-114.
- M. Rantz, T. Banerjee, E. Cattoor, S. Scott, M. Skubic, M. Popescu, “Automated Fall Detection With Quality Improvement “Rewind” to Reduce Falls in Hospital Rooms”, J of Gerontological Nurs., Vol. 40, No. 1, 2014, pp. 13-17.
- Y. Li, D. Ho, M. Popescu, “Efficient source separation algorithms for acoustic fall detection using a Microsoft Kinect”, IEEE Trans. on Biomedical Engineering, vol. 61, no. 3, March 2014.
- Buck, A., Keller, J., and Popescu, M., “An α-level OWA Implementation of Bounded Rationality for Fuzzy Route Selection”, Studies in Fuzziness and Soft Computing 01/2014; 312:253-260. DOI:10.1007/978-3-319-03674-8-24.
- Popescu, M., Bezdek, J., Havens, T., and Keller, J., “Two Cluster Validity Models based on Induced Partition Dissimilarity”, IEEE Transactions on Cybernetics, Vol. 43, No. 1, 2013, pp. 308-320.
- J-F Chang, M Popescu, G. L. Arthur, “Automated Extraction of Precise Protein Expression Patterns in Lymphoma by Text Mining Abstracts of Immunohistochemical Studies”, J Pathol. Informatics, Vol. 4, no.1, 2013, pp. 1-20.
- LL Popejoy, C Galambos, V Lyons, M Popescu, M Khalilia, MJ Rantz, L Hicks, “Developing activity profiles of care coordination using a natural language processing method”, Gerontologist, vol. 53, pp. 85-86.