CE 729 Clinical Support & Education Building
One Hospital Drive
Columbia, MO 65212
- Organizational behavior and human resources management with special focus on health care management
- Strategic human resource management
- Transformational leadership
- Cross-cultural organizational behavior
Education & Training
Ph.D. Organization & Human Resources. State University of New York, Buffalo
Awards & Honors
- 2016. January 1 to 5. Invited as an Expert Foreign Faculty for conducting a workshop "Personality Development and Communication Skills" sponsored by the Ministry of Human Resource Development, Government of India.
- 2015. Vice President of the Indian Academy of Management, an affiliate of the Academy of Management, USA.
- 2015. Recognized as one of the top fifty health care professors in the United States by healthcareadministrator.org.
- 2015. Commended by Peter D. Kinder, Lieutenant Governor of Missouri, for furthering the academic reputation of the state's flagship university and contributions to the state of Missouri.
- 2013. Received Emerald Literati Network's Award for Excellence for the research article entitled 'Great (Transformational) Leadership = Charisma + Vision'.
- 2011. Awarded a research grant by the Agency of Healthcare Research and Quality entitled 'HR and IT Capabilities and Complementarities in Health Care Organizations'. Budget: $94,490. The grant rated exceptional (top 2 percentile).
- 2008. Visiting Scholar. Work Organization & Psychology Group, Ashton Business School, UK.
- 2007. Nominated for the Provost's Outstanding Junior Faculty Research and Creativity Award. University of Missouri, Columbia.
- 2006. Teacher of the year award for outstanding commitment to teaching and student mentoring.
- 2005. The research paper 'HR and IT Capabilities and Complementarities in Health Care Organizations' nominated for the best theory-to-practice paper award and declared runner-up in the Health Care Management Division, Academy of Management Meeting, Honolulu.
- 2003. The research paper 'Cronyism: The Downside of Social Networking' with Eric Tsang and Thomas E. Begley included in the Best Papers Proceedings of the Academy of Management Meeting, Seattle (The paper also nominated for the Douglas Nigh Best Paper Award of the International Management Division).
- 1996. The paper 'Further Evidence for Logical Incrementalism: A Study of Computer, Banking, and Utility Industries in the United States' included in the Best Papers Proceedings of the Academy of Management Meeting, Cincinnati.
- Khatri, N. & Ojha, A.K. 2016. Crony Capitalism in India: Establishing Robust Counteractive Institutional Frameworks. Palgrave Macmillan: Basinstoke, Hampshire, UK.
- Fottler, M.D., Khatri, N., & Savage, G.T. 2010. Advances in Health Care Management: Special Issue on Strategic Human Resource Management. Volume 9. Emerald: Bingley, UK.
- Khatri, N. 2003. The Human Dimension of Organizations. Spiro Press: London.
SELECTED PEER REVIEWED JOURNAL ARTICLES
- Khatri, N., Gupta, V., & Varma, A. 2016. The relationship between HR capabilities and quality of patient care: the mediating role of proactive work behaviors. Human Resource Management. DOI: 10.1002/hrm.21794.
- Khatri, N. & Gupta, V. 2016. Effective implementation of health information technologies in U.S. hospitals. Health Care Management Review, 41(1): 11-21.
- Wright, W.A. & Khatri, N. 2015. Bullying among nursing staff: Relationship with psychological/behavioural responses of nurses and medical errors. Health Care Management Review. 40(2): 139-147.
- Khatri, N., Templer, K.J. & Budhwar, P. 2012. Great (transformational) leadership = charisma + vision. South Asian Journal of Global Business Research, 1(1): 38-62.
- Khatri, N., Ojha, A.K., Budhwar, P., Srinivasan, V., & Varma, A. 2012. Management research in India: Current state and future directions. IIMB Management Review, 24:104-115.
- Khatri, N. 2011. A taxonomy of supervisor-subordinate exchanges across cultures. IIMB Management Review, 23: 71-80.
- Khatri, N., Baveja, A., Agrawal, N., & Brown, G. 2010. HR and IT capabilities and complementarities in knowledge-based services. International Journal of Human Resources Management, 21(15): 2889-2909.
- Khatri, N., Brown, G., & Hicks, L. 2009. Moving from a blame culture to a just culture in health care. Health Care Management Review, 34(4): 312-322.
- Khatri, N. 2009. Consequences of power distance orientation in organizations. Vision: The Journal of Business Perspective, 13(1): 1-9.
- Khatri, N., Halbesleben, J.R.B., Petroski, G., & Meyer, W. 2007. Relationship between management philosophy and clinical outcomes. Health Care Management Review, 32(2): 128-139.
- Khatri, N., Baveja, A., Boren, S., & Mammo, A. 2006. Medical errors and quality of care: From control to commitment. California Management Review, 48(3): 115-141. Also available: Harvard Business School Publishing, 2006, CMR 342.
- Khatri, N., Tsang, E.W.K., & Begley, T. 2006. Cronyism: A cross-cultural analysis. Journal of International Business Studies, 37(1): 61-75.
- Khatri, N., Wells, J., McKune, J., & Brewer, M. 2006. Strategic human resource management issues in hospitals: A study of a university and a community hospital. Hospital Topics, 84(4): 9-20.
- Khatri, N. 2006. Building HR capability in health care organizations. Health Care Management Review, 31(1): 45-54.
- Khatri, N., Tsang, E.W.K., & Begley, T. 2003. Cronyism: The downside of social networking. The Best Papers Proceedings of the Academy of Management, Seattle.
- Khatri, N. & Tsang, E.W.K. 2003. Antecedents and consequences of cronyism in organizations. Journal of Business Ethics, 43: 289-303.
- Khatri, N., Ng, H.A. & Lee, T.H. 2001. The distinction between charisma and vision: An empirical study. Asia Pacific Journal of Management, 18: 373-393.
- Khatri, N., Budhwar, P. & Chong, T.F. 2001. Explaining employee turnover in an Asian context. Human Resource Management Journal, 11(1): 54-74.
- Khatri, N. 2000. Managing human resource for competitive advantage: A study of companies in Singapore. International Journal of Human Resource Management, 11(2): 336-365.
- Khatri, N. & Ng, H. A. 2000. The role of intuition in strategic decision making. Human Relations, 53 (1): 57-86.
- Khatri, N. 1996. Further evidence for logical incrementalism: A study of computer, banking, and utility industries in the United States. The Best Papers Proceedings of the Academy of Management, pp 21-25.