Areas of Expertise
- Sports Medicine
- Knee/Shoulder/Hip Arthroscopy
- Knee Ligament Reconstruction
- Meniscal Surgery/Meniscal Transplant
- Articular Cartilage Restoration / Joint Preservation
- Throwing Shoulder
- Shoulder Instability
- Rotator Cuff Repair
- Shoulder Arthroplasty
- Elbow UCL Reconstruction
- Adolescent Sports Injuries
- Assistant Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery
- American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
Weill Medical College of Cornell University
Awards & Honors
Honors & Awards
- N.Y.C. Community Planning Board # 11, Award For Distinguished Service During the Haitian Crisis, 2010
- Staten Island's Snug Harbor "Neptune Ball" Inaugural Humanitarian Award, 2010, awarded to Team Unity for Haiti
- John Metcalf Polk Prize, Weill Cornell Medical College, 2005, highest scholastic honor given to three students who placed at the top of the class for scholastic performance throughout medical school
- George G. Reader Prize in Public Health, Weill Cornell Medical College, 2005, awarded to graduating student who shows the most promise in field of public health
- Mitchell Spivak Memorial Prize, Weill Cornell Medical College, 2005, awarded to graduating class member with best record in Pediatrics
- Clarence C. Coryell Prize, Weill Cornell Medical College, 2005, awarded to student with highest general average in medicine at the end of 3rd year of medical school
- Junior AOA, Weill Cornell Medical College, 2003
- Viola Borkon Memorial Prize, Weill Cornell Medical College, 2002, awarded to the student who has placed at the top of the class for scholastic performance upon completion of the pre-clinical curriculum
- Summa Cum Laude, University of Pennsylvania, 2001
- Benjamin Franklin Scholar/General Honors, University of Pennsylvania, 1997-2001
- Valedictorian, Susan E. Wagner H.S., 1997
Professional Society Memberships
- American Orthopaedic Society for Sport Medicine, candidate member, 2011-present
- Arthroscopy Association of North America, candidate member, 2011-present
- American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons, member, 2005-present
- American Medical Association, member, 2011-present
- Hospital for Special Surgery Alumni Association Class 2011 representative, 2011-Present
- New York State Society of Orthopedic Surgeons, member, 2005-2010
- AOA, Weill Cornell Medical College, president, 2004-2005
- Golden Key National Honor Society, member, 1998-2001
- Pi Gamma Mu Social Science Honor Society, member, 1998-2001
- Arthroscopy: Journal of Arthroscopic and Related Research, 2011-present
- American Journal of Sports Medicine (AJSM), 2011-present
- Clinical Orthopedic and Related Research (CORR), 2009-present
- Hospital for Special Surgery Journal, 2009-present
Locations1100 Virginia Ave
Columbia, Missouri, 65212
- Stannard JP, Sherman SL, Cook JL. AAOS OKU-12: Soft-Tissue Injuries about the Knee. 2016 (with editors).
- Pomajzl RJ, Sherman SL, Kfuri M, Stannard JP. Inlay and Onlay PCL Reconstruction. In: Ligamentous Injuries of the Knee. Editors Mascarenhas R, Bhatia S, Lowe W. Nova Science Publishers, 2016 (with editors).
- Sherman S, Nuelle C, Farr J. AAOS Let’s Discuss Series: Issues Specific to Cartilage Restoration in the Patellofemoral Joint May 2015
- Sherman S, Nuelle C, Latterman C.AAOS Let’s Discuss Series: Meniscal Allograft Transplantation. May 2015
- Sherman SL, Karas V, Lee A, Bhatia S , Mather III R, Harwood D, Romeo AA, Cole BJ. Humeral Head Fresh Allograft for Hill-Sachs Defects in Shoulder Instability. Video Atlas of Shoulder Surgery 2013. Editor McCann.
- Bhatia S, Lee A, Sherman SL, Provencher MT, Cole BJ. Pearls for Anatomic Glenoid Reconstruction Using Distal Tibial Allograft. Video Atlas of Shoulder Surgery 2013. Editor McCann.
- Ghodadra N, Chalmers P, Sherman SL, Mathers C, Provencher MT, Romeo A. Arthroscopic biceps tenodesis and tenotomy. AAOS: Atlas of Essential Orthopaedic Procedures. AAOS 2013
- Sherman SL, Chalmers P, Ghodadra, Lenart B, Nicholson GP. : Arthroscopic Treatment of Frozen Shoulder. AAOS Atlas of Essential Orthopaedic Procedures. AAOS 2013
- Sherman SL, Rodeo SA. Healing of the Knee Ligaments and Menisci. Insall and Scott Surgery of the Knee, 5th Edition. Scott W.N., Scuderi G,eds. Elsevier 2012.
Peer Reviewed ManuscriptsPublished:
- Sherman SL, Copeland ME, Milles JL, Flood DA, Pfeiffer FM. Biomechanical Evaluation of Suture Anchor Versus Transosseous Tunnel Quadriceps Tendon Repair Techniques. Arthroscopy. 2016 Feb 16.
- Poma C, Sherman SL, Spence B, Brenner LH, Bal BS. Rethinking the Standard of Care in Treating Professional Athletes. Clin Sports Med. 2016 Apr;35(2):269-74.
- Erickson BJ, Campbell K, Cvetanovich GL, Harris JD, Bach BR Jr, Sherman SL. Nonligamentous Soft Tissue Pathology About the Knee: A Review. Orthopedics. 2016 Jan 1;39(1):32-42.
- Sherman SL, Vetter J, Nuelle C. Clinical Vignette with Cover Photo/Video. Arthroscopy.2015 Nov.
- Sherman SL, Khazai RS, James CH, Stoker AM, Flood DL, Cook JL. In Vitro Toxicity of Local Anesthetics and Corticosteroids on Chondrocyte and Synoviocyte Viability and Metabolism. Cartilage. 2015 Oct;6(4):233-40.
- Sherman SL, James C, Stoker AM, Cook CR, Khazai RS, Flood DL, Cook JL. In Vivo Toxicity of Local Anesthetics and Corticosteroids on Chondrocyte and Synoviocyte Viability and Metabolism. Cartilage. 2015 Apr;6(2):106-12.
- Ellman MB, Sherman SL, Forsythe B, LaPrade RF, Cole BJ, Bach BR Jr. Return to Play Following Anterior Cruciate Ligament Reconstruction. J Am Acad Orthop Surg. 2015 May;23(5):283-296. Review.
- Brimmo OA, Pfeiffer F, Bozynski CC, Kuroki K, Cook C, Stoker A, Sherman SL, Monibi F, Cook JL. Development of a Novel Canine Model for Posttraumatic Osteoarthritis of the Knee. J Knee Surg. 2015 Apr 18.
- Scott DJ, Sherman SL, Dhawan A, Cole BJ, Bach, BR Jr, Mather RC III. Quantifying the Economic Impact of Provider Volume Through Adverse Events: The Case of Sports Medicine Orthopaedic Journal of Sports Medicine, March 2015; vol. 3.
- Epstein DM, Black BS, Sherman SL. Anterior ankle arthroscopy: indications, pitfalls, and complications. Foot Ankle Clin. 2015 Mar;20(1):41-57. doi: 10.1016/j.fcl.2014.10.001.
- Ma R, Smith PA, Smith MJ, Sherman SL, Flood D, Li X. Managing and recognizing complications after treatment of acromioclavicular joint repair or reconstruction. Curr Rev Musculoskelet Med. 2015 Mar;8(1):75-82.
- Farr J, Mathew LM, Stoker AM, Sherman SL, Cook JL. Effects on exposed articular cartilage during open surgical procedures: a comparison of various fluids in an animal model. Arthroscopy. 2015 Jan;31(1):113-7.
- Bodendorfer BM, Cole EF, Carstens SJ, Sherman SL, Katta N. Drug Reaction with Eosinophilia and SystemicSymptoms Associated with a Vancomycin-Impregnated Spacer. Journal of Knee Surgery Reports. 2015.
- Milles JL, Gallizzi MA, Sherman SL, Smith PA, Choma TJ. Does a Syrinx Matter for Return to Play in Contact Sports? A Case Report and Evidence-Based Review of Return-to-Play Criteria after Transient Quadriplegia. Sports Health. 2014 Sep;6(5):440-5.
- Sherman SL, Plackis A, Nuelle C. Patellofemoral Anatomy and Biomechanics. Clinics in Sports Medicine 2014.
- Farr J, Jaggers R, Lewis H, Plackis A, Sim SB, Sherman SL. Evidence-based approach of treatment options for post-operative knee pain. Phys Sportsmed. 2014 May;42(2):58-70.
- Cook JL, Hung CT, Kuroki K, Stoker AM, Cook CR, Pfeiffer FM, Sherman SL, Stannard JP. Animal models of cartilage repair. Bone Joint Res. 2014 Apr 2;3(4):89-94.
- Sherman SL, Garrity J, Bauer K, Cook J, Stannard J, Bugbee W. Fresh osteochondral allograft transplantation for the knee: current concepts. J Am Acad Orthop Surg. 2014 Feb;22(2):121-33.
- Chalmers PN, Mall NA, Moric M, Sherman SL, Paletta GP, Cole BJ, Bach BR Jr. Does ACL reconstruction alter natural history?: A systematic literature review of long-term outcomes. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2014 Feb 19;96(4):292-300
- Karas V, Sherman S, Hussey K, Baker C 3rd, Bach B Jr, Cole B, Bush-Joseph C. Allograft Reconstruction for Extensor Mechanism Injuries. J Knee Surg. 2014 Feb 28.
Peer and Non-Peer reviewed Video/ Internet Publications/Hand-outs
- Sherman SL, Pomajzl R. Patellofemoral Blog: RTP following patella instability event or surgery. Orthopedics Today 2016.
- COMO Living: Doc Talk 2015. Seth L. Sherman, MD
- Illumination Magazine (Research, Scholarship, and Creative Achievement at the University of Missouri). ACL at risk. Can a repurposed peripheral help young athletes stay in the game? Fall/Winter Issue 2015.
- Press Release 7/2015: AOSSM News Release, Science Today, Ortho Today, Healthday Physician’s Briefing: New Study Shows Ankle Sleeves and Lace-Up Braces Can Benefit Athlete Performance
- Sherman SL, Farr J. Patellofemoral Blog: “Not Medically Necessary”.Orthopedics Today 2014.
Podium/Poster/ Abstract Presentations
- AMSSM 2016: Case Presentation; co-I Tibial Tubercle and Tibial Plateau Fracture in Basketball Athlete.
- AOSSM 2016: Poster Presentation Mass Screening of Youth Athletes for High Risk Landing Patterns using a Portable and Inexpensive Motion Sensor Device.
- University of Missouri Comparative Orthopedic Laboratory Research Day 2016: Podium Presentation All-Inside Meniscal Allograft Transplantation Using the Mizzou MAT.
- AANA 2016: e-Poster Presentation In vivo Toxicity of Local Anesthetics and Corticosteroids on Supraspinatus Tenocyte Cell Viability and Metabolism.
- AANA 2016: Podium Presentation; co-I Evaluation of hyperosmolar irrigation solution for shoulder arthroscopy: A prospective, double-blind, randomized, controlled study.
- International ACL Study Group 2016. Are, Sweden: Podium Presentation Mass Screening of Youth Athletes for High Risk Landing Patterns using a Portable and Inexpensive Motion Sensor Device.
- International ACL Study Group 2016. Are, Sweden: Podium Presentation: Multicenter Survey on Return to Play Following ACL Reconstruction.
- ORS 2016: Podium Presentation; co-I. Development of a Novel Decellularized Meniscal Scaffold for Use in Tissue Engineering. Monibi FA, StokerAM, PfeifferFM, KurokiK, S ShermanSL, CookJL.
- ORS 2016: Poster Presentation; co-I. Biomechanical Analysis of the Anterolateral Ligament (ALL) Using an in vivo Musculoskeletal Model. JahandarA, RazuS, JahandarH, NuelleC, ShermanSL, GuessTM.
- ORS 2016: Poster Presentation; PI. In vitro Toxicity of Local Antesthetics and corticosteroids on Supraspinatus Tenocyte Viabilty and Metabolism. NuelleC, James CH, Stoker AM, Cook JL, ShermanSL.
- AAOS 2016: Scientific Exhibit Poster Presenter. Orlando, FL Meniscus Replacement, Transplantation, and Regeneration: State of the Art in 2016.
- University of Missouri Health Sciences Research Day Nov 12, 2015:Columbia, MO; 3 posters (1 co-I, 2 PI):
- Development of a novel decellularized meniscal scaffold for use in tissue engineering – F. Monibi
- Screening Youth Athletes for High Risk Landing Patterns Using an Inexpensive and Portable Motion Sensor Device- T. Gulbrandsen
- Correlating motion analysis systems and clinical testing to establish an appropriate return to sport protocol following ACL reconstruction in athlete – N. Siesener
- International Patellofemoral Study Group 9/2015. Chicago, IL: Podium Presentation Preliminary Validation of the Knee cAPP: A Musculoskeletal Model Used to Predict Changes in Patellofemoral Contact Area During Gait.
- American Society Biomechanics: 8/2015 Co-I. Predicting Patellofemoral Contact Mechanics: A Computational Study.
- AOSSM 2015: Podium Presentation. Effect of Lace-up Ankle Braces and Neoprene Sleeves on Neuromuscular Control and Athletic Performance.
- ISAKOS 2015: Poster. Effect of Lace-up Knee Braces and Neoprene Sleeves on Neuromuscular Control and Athletic Performance
- ISAKOS 2015:Poster. Effect of Lace-up Ankle Braces and Neoprene Sleeves on Neuromuscular Control and Athletic Performance
- ISAKOS 2015: Podium. Transosseous versus Suture Anchor Quadriceps Tendon Repair.
- ISAKOS 2015: Podium (IMREF meeting). Biomechanical Study of Lateral Meniscal Allograft Transplantation Using Anatomic Bone Sockets and TightRope Cortical Fixation
- Phi Zeta: Poster Presentation 5/8/2015 Co-I. In Vitro Evaluation of a Decellularized Canine Meniscal Scaffold for Biological Augmentation of Meniscal Fibrocartilage Regeneration. Monibi FA, Pfeiffer FM, Stoker AM, Kuroki K, Sherman SL, Cook JL.
- ICRS 2015: Podium Presentation. Post-traumatic OA Canine Impact Model
- ICRS 2015: Podium Presentation. Effect of Femoral Condyle Width on Contact Pressure of Various Sized Chondral Lesions.
- ICRS 2015: YSOS Star Papers Podium Presentation. Validation of the Knee cAPP: A Musculoskeletal Model Used to Predict Patellofemoral Contact Pressures During Gait
- ICRS 2015: Poster Presentation. Biomechanical Study of Lateral Meniscal Allograft Transplantation Using Anatomic Bone Sockets and TightRope Cortical Fixation
- ORS 2015: Poster Presentation, Las Vegas, NV Co-I. Serum Biomarkers in a Novel In Vivo Model of Post-Traumatic Osteoarthritis
- AAOS 2015: Scientific Exhibit(s) Poster Presenter. Las Vegas, NV. Expanding Indications for Fresh Osteochondral Allograft Transplantation
- AAOS 2015: Scientific Exhibit(s) Poster Presenter. Las Vegas, NV Two Stage Revision ACL Reconstructions: Indications, Technique, Outcome
- University of Missouri Comparative Orthopedic Laboratory Research Day 4/10/2015: Podium Presentation. Validation of the “Knee cAPP”: A Musculosketal Model used to predict patellofemoral contact pressures during gait
- University of Missouri Comparative Orthopedic Laboratory Research Day 4/10/2015: Co-author Podium Presentation. Regenerating a Meniscus – Where are we now?
- University of Missouri Comparative Orthopedic Laboratory Research Day 4/10/2015: Co-author Podium Presentation. The Salty Shoulder – Pre-Clinical and Clinical Studies
- University of Missouri Health Sciences Research Day 2014:Columbia, MO (1 co-I, 2 PI)
- Development and validation of a novel in vivo model of post-traumatic osteoarthritis – F. Monibi
- Hop Test Performance Does Not Correlate with Neuromuscular Control During the Drop Vertical Jump-H. Lewis
- The Effect of Knee and Ankle Neoprene Sleeves and Prophylactic Braces on Lower Extremity Neuromuscular Control – G. Stover
- AOSSM 2014: Poster Presentation. Seattle , WA Validation of Xbox Kinect as Portable, Inexpensive Tool for ACL Injury Risk
- University of Missouri Comparative Orthopedic Laboratory Research Day 2014: Podium Presentation Functional Movement Evaluation in Athletes
- ORS 2014: Poster Presentation. New Orleans, LA Transosseous Versus Suture Anchor for Quadriceps Tendon Repair
- AAOS Annual Meeting, March 2014: Scientific Exhibit Presenter. Tibial Tubercle Osteotomy: Indications, Techniques, Outcomes
- ACL Study Group 1/2014 – CapeTown, South Africa: Podium Presentation. Validation of an inexpensive portable sensor for measuring knee abduction angle during a drop vertical jump
- Phi Zeta Day 2014: Poster Presentation. Genipin effects on cell viability and mechanical properties of a biological scaffold intended for meniscal tissue engineering