MU’s pediatric research programs focus on congenital diseases, or diseases present at birth. These exceptional programs represent the future of medicine, which will provide personalized and preventive care through advances in genetics.
Lifesaving discoveries may be possible for the more than 20,000 diseases now recognized to have a genetic basis or disposition, including diabetes, cardiovascular disease, cancer, autism, cystic fibrosis and juvenile arthritis. The causes of congenital diseases and birth defects also are connected to our environment. MU investigators are renowned for research that reveals how nutrition, medications, alcohol and other agents might harm the health of fetuses and newborns. Studies on genetics, nutrition and metabolism also are providing answers that could someday stop the growing epidemic of childhood obesity.
To solidify and expand Child Health research and scholarly activities by leading each subspecialty division to successfully compete for peer-reviewed federal research funding.
- Foster collaboration across departments/divisions in areas which reflect clinical strengths of the department and in areas of future clinical importance.
- Seek out opportunities for clinical trials/sponsored clinical research in areas of strategic importance to the department.
- Develop and maintain knowledge base of federal, foundation and association funding opportunities to facilitate targeted funding proposals.
- Provide adequate grants administration support which facilitates effective grant proposal development and post-award management.
- Expand research capabilities of the department through recruitment of new faculty with strong research interest.
Functions and Roles
- Communicate with faculty and determine research interests and assist in focusing interests on potential projects that mesh well with Department, School and University areas of emphasis.
- Search out and identify potential funding sources applicable to research interests.
- Obtain and interpret guidelines and application packets and communicate with agencies, foundations, etc.
- Assist faculty in compiling proposal materials.
- Develop budget plans and budget justification narratives based on research plans and guidelines.
- Assist in the completion of IRB and ACUC forms and function as a liaison between faculty and review committees.
- Provide award information to Fiscal Office Grants & Contracts Specialist and assist in setting up account and preparing cost-sharing documentation.