1100 Virginia Avenue
Columbia, MO 65212
- General orthopaedics
- Reconstructive surgery of the hand
- Biofilm (glycocalyx) infections
Areas of Expertise
- Hand surgery and problems of the upper extremity
- Total joint surgery
- General orthopaedics
Education & Training
Albany Medical School
University of Florida
Hand Surgery at Joseph H. Boyes Foundation, Los Angeles
American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
Awards & Honors
- The Paul W. Brand Volunteer of the Year Award 2017 presented September 8, 2017, the Annual Meeting of the American Society for Surgery of the Hand, in San Francisco, California. This inaugural award honored Dr. Gainor’s career in overseas volunteer medical service in resource poor nations.
- Barry J. Gainor, MD, Endowment Fund for Resident Research and Education.
Established in 2016 by the faculty and graduates in honor of Dr. Gainor’s retirement after 37 years of service to the MU Orthopedic department.
- Health Volunteers Overseas 11th Annual Golden Apple Award, 2016. Presented to an individual who has demonstrated an impressive commitment to HVO’s mission to improve global health through the education, training, and professional development of the health workforce in resource-scarce countries.
- The Best Doctors in America: Central Region: 1996, 1997, 1998, 2002, 2003, 2007-2008, 2009-2010, 2010-2011, 2011-2012, 2013, and 2014 by Woodward/White, Inc., Aiken, SC
- Champion of Hope Award, 2009. Presented by the University of Missouri Children’s Hospital for outstanding contributions serving the needs of the hospital’s patients through music since 1995.
- EsSalud Award of Recognition, 2009. Presented at the Ministry of Health for service to benefit the EsSalud Hospital in Lima, Peru.
- The “Barry J. Gainor, M.D.” Faculty Teaching Award. Established in May 2008 by the orthopedic chief residents. The awardee is selected by the chief residents to recognize a faculty member for excellence in education.
- QEBC Honor Society, 2007. Presented for service to the University of Missouri-Columbia and humanitarian activities in the community and overseas.
- Alpha Omega Alpha Honorary Medical Society; inducted 2001
- Faculty Performance Shares Plan Award, 2001. Presented for outstanding performance in recruitment, research, service, outreach, student retention, teaching, and achievement.
- Jane M. Hickman Teacher of the Year Award. Presented by the University of Missouri-Columbia School of Medicine and the Alumni Association, October 2000.
- Volunteer Service Award of 2000. Presented by the American Society for Surgery of the Hand, Seattle, WA; in recognition of leadership and dedication to volunteer medical service and education in underserved areas of the world.
- Humanitarian Leadership Award, presented by Orthopedics Overseas, Inc., Anaheim, CA. 1999.
- The “Barry J. Gainor, M.D.” Resident Education Award. Established in May 1998, this award endowed by Dr. and Mrs. Gregory Hummel annually recognizes a senior resident at the University of Missouri-Columbia who emulates Dr. Gainor’s teaching skills.
- Distinguished Humanitarian Award of 1997 conferred by the Alumni Board of Albany Medical College, Albany, NY.
- Certificate of Appreciation Award presented by the House Staff Association of USAF Medical Center, Scott, Military Airlift Command, Scott Air Force Base, Illinois, for outstanding support of patients and staff 1977-79.
- Gainor, B.J. First Hand: Hand-Picked Music for Kids. Journal of Hand Surgery: 39(3): 542, 2014.