Our research is focused on investigating the mechanisms of RNA virus-host interaction, viral regulation of host immunity, and viral pathogenesis. We create and utilize small-animal models and tissue culture systems for infection with RNA viruses such as influenza virus and lymphocytic choriomeningitis virus (LCMV). Our study should assist in the development of novel therapies including anti-viral drugs and immune therapeutics to remedy diseases caused by viral infections.
NW301C Medical Sciences Building
Columbia, MO 65212
- Virus-host interaction
- Innate immunity
- Viral immunity
- Viral pathogenesis
- Sphingolipid system
Areas of Expertise
- Virology and Molecular Therapies
- Interplay between viruses and host defense and immunity
Education & Training
The Scripps Research Institution
1998, PhD, Pohang University of Science and Technology
- Vijayan, M., Xia, C., Song, YE, Ngo, H., Studstill, CJ, Drews, K., Fox, TE, Johnson, MC, Hiscott, J., Kester, M., Alexander, S., and Hahm., B. 2017 Sphingosine 1-phosphate lyase enhances the activation of IKKe to promote type I interferon-mediated innate immune response to influenza A virus infection. Journal of Immunology [Epub ahead of print]
- Xia, C., Vijayan, M., Pritzl, C.J., Fuchs, S.Y., McDermott, A.B., and Hahm, B. 2016 Hemagglutinin of influenza A virus antagonizes type I IFN responses by inducing degradation of type I IFN receptor 1. Journal of Virology 90:2403-2417.
- Michael P. Sherman, Curtis J. Pritzl, Chuan Xia, Mindy M. Miller, Habib Zaghouani, Bumsuk Hahm. 2015 Lactoferrin acts as an adjuvant during influenza vaccination of neonatal mice. Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications 467:766-770.
- Curtis J. Pritzl, Young-Jin Seo, Chuan Xia, Madhuvanthi Vijayan, Zachary D. Stokes, and Bumsuk Hahm. 2015 A ceramide analogue stimulates dendritic cells to promote T cell responses upon virus infections. Journal of Immunology 194:4339-4349.
- Madhuvanthi Vijayan and Bumsuk Hahm 2014 Influenza viral manipulation of sphingolipid metabolism and signaling to modulate host defense system Invited review Scientifica vol. 2014, Article ID 793815, doi:10.1155/2014/793815.
- Madhuvanthi Vijayan, Young-Jin Seo, Curtis J Pritzl, Sarah A Squires, Stephen Alexander, and Bumsuk Hahm. 2014. Sphingosine kinase 1 regulates measles virus replication. Virology 450-451. 55-63.
- Young-Jin Seo and Bumsuk Hahm. 2014. Sphingosine analog AAL-R promotes activation of LCMV-infected dendritic cells. Viral Immunology 27(2):82-6.
- Young-Jin Seo, Curtis J. Pritzl, Madhuvanthi Vijayan, Kavita Bomb, Mariah E. McClain, Stephen Alexander, and Bumsuk Hahm 2013 Sphingosine kinase 1 serves as a pro-viral factor by regulating viral RNA synthesis and nuclear export of viral ribonucleoprotein complex upon influenza virus infection. PLoS One Volume 8/Issue 8/e75005.