Dr. Duren works with clinical and basic science faculty to elevate MU School of Medicine's AAU metrics through competitive federal research grant proposals to NIH and DoD. She also directs the Skeletal Morphology Laboratory where breakthroughs are made in the development and application of methods for assessing skeletal maturation, bone accrual, and fracture risk in the pediatric skeleton, and novel directions are being pursued for protecting musculoskeletal health after life-altering surgeries such as bariatric weight loss surgery and surgical repair of hip fracture in the elderly. Her research is funded by grants from the National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases, the National Institute of Child Health and Human Development, and the Scoliosis Research Society. She has been continually funded since 2007.
1100 Virginia Avenue
Columbia, MO 65212
- Life span approach to bone and joint health
- Pediatric bone accrual and fracture risk
- Skeletal maturation applications and method development
Education & Training
Kent State University School of Biomedical Sciences, 2001
Awards & Honors
- President’s Award for Faculty Excellence: Early Career Achievement Award (WSU), 2009
- Nominated for United States Presidential Early Career Award for Scientists and Engineers (PECASE), 2007
- Young Investigator Award, International Conference on Children’s Bone Health, Montreal, Canada, 2007
- Young Investigator Travel Award, NIH Skeletal Genetics Conference, Bethesda, MD, 2001
- Outstanding Dissertation Award, School of Biomedical Sciences, Kent State Univ., 2001
- Summer Research Fellowship, Kent State University, 1995-2001
- Graduate Excellence in Teaching Award, Kent State University, 1998
- Graduate Award, Department of Anthropology, Kent State University, 1993-94
- Academic Excellence Award, University of Missouri, 1989-91
In the News
Selections from more than 40 peer-reviewed publications (bold = senior author).
- Boeyer ME, Sherwood RJ, Deroche CB, Duren DL. 2018. Early Maturity as the New Normal: A Century-long Study of Bone Age. Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research 476(11):2112-2122.
- Sanders JO, Qiu X, Lu X, Duren DL, Liu RW, Dang D, Menendez ME, Hans SD, Weber DR, Cooperman DR. 2017. The Uniform Pattern of Growth and Skeletal Maturation during the Human Adolescent Growth Spurt. Scientific Reports 7(1):16705.
- Froehle AW, Grannis KA, Sherwood RJ, Duren DL. 2017. Relationships between Age at Menarche, Walking Gait Base of Support, and Stance Phase Frontal Plane Knee Biomechanics in Adolescent Females. Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation 9(5):444-454.
- Boin M, Narayanan S, Duren DL, Dorweiler M, Lee J, Froehle A, Laughlin R. 2017. Factors Predicting Admission to Extended Care Facility Following Distal Femur Fractures. Current Orthopaedic Practice 28(4):388.
- Froehle AW, Laughlin RT, Sherwood RJ, Duren DL. 2016. Gait patterns after bariatric surgery. In Metabolism and Pathophysiology of Bariatric Surgery: Nutrition, Procedures, Outcomes and Adverse Effects. (V.R. Preedy and R. Rajendrum, C.R. Martin, eds.) Academic Press, Boston, pp. 553-562.
- Duren DL, Nahhas RW, Sherwood RJ. 2015. Do Secular Trends in Skeletal Maturity Occur Equally in Both Sexes? Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research 473:2559-2567.
- Seselj M, Duren DL, Sherwood RJ. 2015. Heritability of the Human Craniofacial Complex. Anatomical Record 298:1535-1547.
- Froehle AW, Dollin N, Laughlin RT, Teel D, Sherwood RJ, Duren DL. 2014. Bariatric surgery: Effects on patient gait and function. Lower Extremity Review. March 2014. (Invited Review)
- Froehle AW, Laughlin RT, Teel D, Sherwood RJ, Duren DL. 2014. Excess Body Weight Loss is Associated with Non-Pathological Gait Patterns in Women Four to Five Years after Bariatric Surgery. Obesity Surgery 24(2):253-259.
INVITED BOOK CHAPTERS
- Sherwood RJ and Duren DL. (2015) Variation, genetics, and evolution of the primate craniofacial complex. In Genome Mapping and Genomics in Human and Non-Human Primates. (R. Duggirala, A.G. Comuzzie, S. Williams-Blangero, C. Kole, eds.) Springer-Verlag. Berlin Heidelberg. Pp: 259-275.
GRANT WRITING WORKSHOPS
- 2020 Grant Writing Workshop (video)
- 2021 Grant Writing Workshop: A focus on resubmissions (video)
- NIH F-Awards: Advice from recipients and mentors (video)