Dr. Eduardo J. Simoes research includes investigating the prevention of infectious, environmental and chronic diseases, health promotion, health care and health informatics. Dr. Simoes has published 135 peer-reviewed publications, eleven book chapters and 32 official reports covering topics in public health and medicine. He has made 157 presentations at health-related conferences and serves as a reviewer for 17 peer-reviewed journals. He is the associate editor of International Scholarly Research Network and Frontiers in Public Health. Dr. Simoes has been awarded 19 funded research by National Institute of Health, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services and other organizations. He has been awarded nominations for scientific work in the CDC-ATSDR Charles C. Shepard Science Award twice and the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health Alice Hamilton Award.
CE707 CS&E Bldg
Columbia, MO 65212
- Prevention of non-communicable and communicable diseases
- Health promotion
- Reduction of aging-related functional limitation
- Biomedical informatics (Precision Medicine inclusive)
- Effectiveness of healthcare
- Health policy, public health and population health
Areas of Expertise
- Preventive medicine
- Public health
- Academic research
- Graduate training in preventive medicine
- Public health and epidemiology
Education & Training
1981, MD, Universidade de Pernambuco, Faculdade de Medicina
1981, Recife, Hospital da Restauracao, Hospital Maternidade-Cisam
1983, Recife, Hospital Oswaldo Cruz
Awards & Honors
- Fellow of the American College of Epidemiology (2012-current)
- Awarded a nomination certificate for the 2003 "CDC-ATDSDR Charles C. Shepard Science Award" for published research: Clinical Bronchiolitis Obliterans in Workers at a Microwave-Popcorn Plant. In The New England Journal of Medicine 2002; 347:330-8.
- Awarded Honorable Mention certificate for the 2003 NIOSH, The Alice Hamilton Award for Occupational Safety and Health: Clinical Bronchiolitis Obliterans in Workers at a Microwave-Popcorn Plant. In The New England Journal of Medicine 2002; 347:330-8.
- Awarded a nomination certificate for the 1997 "CDC-ATDSDR Charles C. Shepard Science Award" for published research: The Association between Fruits and Vegetables Intake and Chronic Disease Risk Factors. In Epidemiology 1996; 7:161-65.
- Awarded the Global Health Achievement Group for superior accomplishment in supporting the Field Epidemiology Training Program and substantial public health impact in Brazil. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Coordinating Office of Global Health, 1999.
- Awarded a certificate of appreciation for outstanding and dedicated services to the Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services and the citizens of Missouri. Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services, February 21, 2003.
- Awarded a “Dedication Award”, Health Management and Informatics Graduate Student Association (HMIGSA), University of Missouri, May 2013.