Dr. Teixeiro-Pernas’ lab researches T lymphocytes of the immune system defining the process of providing protection against infection and cancer. Her focus involves T cells that become effective at clearing pathogens and tumor cells and at providing long-term protection (immunological memory). Her goal is to use this information to develop or improve therapies against cancer and infection. Dr. Teixeiro-Pernas’ is currently researching influenza and Listeria m. infections regarding development of improved vaccines. She is also researching T-cell-based tumor therapies against various cancers (melanoma, hepatocellular carcinoma and colorectal cancer). Her goal is to improve CAR T therapies and cancer vaccines. Dr. Teixeiro-Pernas' findings could aid in the reduction of the severity of autoimmune syndromes where T cells are harmful. Her lab uses cutting edge technologies to identify the molecular mechanisms governing the development, function and longevity of memory T cells. She is also interested in deciphering why T cells lose their function and stop their progress towards memory in chronic infections and cancers (T cell exhaustion). Her lab works with interdisciplinary teams and collaborates with outstanding investigators in the field of Influenza infection and Oncology to bring basic research closer to the Clinic.
NW301A Medical Sciences Building
Columbia, MO 65212
- T cell differentiation in response to infection and cancer. Development and maintenance of memory T cells.
- T cell receptor signaling, cytokine signaling, STING signaling and their impact in T cell memory programming , epigenetics and T cell metabolism.
- T cell exhaustion in chronic infection and cancer
- Mucosal Immunity: lymphocytes in lung and gut.
- Influenza vaccines
- T cell based cancer therapies for melanoma and other cancers (HCC and CRC)
Areas of Expertise
- T cell biology and differentiation
- Signal transduction (T cell receptor and cytokine). NF-kappa B signaling
- Transcriptional regulation
- Mucosal immunology (lymphocytes in the lung and gut)
Education & Training
2002, PhD, Universidad Complutense, Madrid, Spain
- Knudson, KM, Pritzl CJ, Saxena V, Altman, A, Daniels MA, and Teixeiro,E. NFκB–Pim-1-Eomesodermin axis is critical for maintaining CD8 T-cell memory quality. PNAS Early Edition doi: 10.1073/pnas.1608448114
- Goplen, N.P., Saxena, V., Knudson, K.M., Schrum, A.G., Gil, D., Daniels, M.A., Zamoyska, R., and Teixeiro, E. IL-12 Signals through the TCR To Support CD8 Innate Immune Responses. J Immunol 197, 2434-2443.
- Cunningham, C.A., Cardwell, L.N., Guan, Y., Teixeiro, E., and Daniels, M.A. POSH Regulates CD4+ T Cell Differentiation and Survival. Journal of immunology 196, 4003-4013.