University of Missouri researcher Dr. Jane McElroy is uncovering clues to better health.
McElroy studies health issues, both in the general population and among LGBTQ individuals. She co-created Project LOLA (Living Out and Living Actively) to help lesbian and bisexual women better understand health matters and to provide more access to resources.
Much of McElroy’s work relates to individuals with cancer. She has documented that a growing number of patients receive a breast cancer diagnosis over the telephone. Additionally, she has investigated ways in which queer-identifying individuals may experience greater stress during breast cancer treatment. She has also highlighted the fact that queer Black women experience unique struggles when diagnosed with cancer, yet little research exists on the topic.
In addition, McElroy found that, due in part to health inequalities, demographic trends indicate an increase in chronic conditions among gender and sexual minorities. She has examined causes of endometrial cancer and has worked with geographical information systems. And, in collaboration with physician Shamita Misra, she discovered that daily practice of Pranayama yoga could significantly lower blood pressure.
McElroy’s findings have appeared in Women’s Health Issues, Journal of the National Cancer Institute, Environmental Health Perspectives and other leading publications.
Dr. Jane McElroy is an associate professor of family and community medicine with appointments in the schools of medicine and health professions.
One Hospital Drive
MA306 Medical Sciences Building, DC032.00
Columbia, MO 65212
- Cancer and Chronic Diseases
- Environmental Exposures with Metals
- Geographical Information Systems
Education & Training
PhD: Environmental Health, University of Wisconsin, Madison
Awards & Honors
Invited Attendee, nominated by MU Women in Medicine and Medical Sciences
AAMC Mid-Career Women Faculty Development Seminar
Invited Speaker: “Six pillars for effective community engagement”
University of Missouri System Research Summit at St. Louis
St. Louis, MO
In the News
For a complete publication list, see: My Bibliography (NCBI Collections)
- On the other side of the fence: A busy clinician learning to be a researcher.
Fam Med. 2019;51(5):440-442.
Misra S, McElroy JA, Hosokawa MC.
- Utility of Dermatology Extension for Community Healthcare Outcomes (ECHO) sessions in the adult and paediatric population.
J Telemed Telecare. 2019; DOI: 10.1177/1357633x19874200.
Bridges C, Morris C, McElroy JA, Quinn K, Dyer J, Becevic M.
- Assessment of indoor volatile organic compounds in Head Start child care facilities.
Atmospheric Environment. 2019;215: 116900.
Vu DC, Ho TL, Vo PH, Bayati M, Davis AN, Gulseven Z, Carlo G, Palermo F, McElroy JA, Nagel SC, Lin C-H.
- Take a deep breath: A randomized control trial of Pranayama breathing on uncontrolled hypertension.
Advances in Integrative Medicine. 2019;6(2):66-72.
Misra S, Smith J, Wareg N, Hodges K, Gandhi M, McElroy JA.
- Candidate Genetic Polymorphisms and Haplotypes Associated with Endometrial Cancer Risk (United States).
International Journal of Cancer and Clinical Research. 2019;6(6):129.
McElroy J, Kruse R, Robertson JD, Yampara-Iquise H, Bryda EC, Taylor JF.
- Cadmium: a new risk factor for endometrial cancer?
Expert Review of Anticancer Therapy. 2019; DOI: 10.1080/14737140.2019.1596029.1-4.
McElroy JA, Hunter MI.
- Exposure to environmental toxicants and young children's cognitive and social development.
Reviews on Environmental Health. 2019;34(1):35-56.
Davis AN, Carlo G, Gulseven Z, Palermo F, Lin CH, Nagel SC, Vu DC, Vo PH, Ho TL, McElroy JA.
- Breaking bad news of a breast cancer diagnosis over the telephone: an emerging trend.
Support Care Cancer. 2018;DOI: 10.1007/s00520-018-4383-y
McElroy JA, Proulx CM, Johnson L, Heiden-Rootes KM, Albright EL, Smith J, Brown MT.
- Changes in blood pressure after the 2016 United States presidential election. Analyses in response to "The Association of Posttraumatic Stress Disorder With Clinic and Ambulatory Blood Pressure in Healthy Adults" by Edmondson et al.
Psychosomatic Medicine. 2018;80(6):588-589.
Hodges KL, McElroy JA, Misra S.
- Determination of volatile organic compounds in child care centers by thermal desorption gas chromatography-mass spectrometry.
Analytical Methods. 2018; 10(7): 730-742.
Vu DC, Ho TL, Vo P, Carlo G, McElroy JA, Davis A, Nagel SC, Lin CH.
- Sexual and gender minority breast cancer patients choosing bilateral mastectomy without reconstruction: “I feel like I now have a body that fits me.”
Women and Health. 2018;58(4):403-418.
Brown MT, McElroy JA.
- Socioeconomic status and other factors associated with childhood obesity.
Journal of the American Board of Family Medicine: JABFM. 2018;31(4):514-521.
Williams AS, Ge B, Petroski G, Kruse RL, McElroy JA, Koopman RJ.
- Unmet support needs of sexual and gender minority breast cancer survivors.
Supportive Care in Cancer. 2018;26(4):1189-1196.
Brown MT, McElroy JA.
- Stressed out by election results - take a deep breath. Journal of Yoga and Physiotherapy.
Hodges K, Misra S, McElroy JA.
- Cadmium exposure and endometrial cancer risk: a large midwestern U.S. population-based case-control study.
PLoS ONE [Electronic Resource]. 2017;12(7):e0179360.
McElroy JA, Kruse RL, Guthrie J, Gangnon RE, Robertson JD.
- Can smokefree policies reduce tobacco use disparities of sexual and gender minorities in Missouri?
Nicotine & Tobacco Research. 2017;DOI: 10.1093/ntr/ntx078.
Wintemberg J, McElroy J, Ge B, Everett K.
- Chronic illnesses and conditions in sexual and gender minority individuals in LGBT health: meeting the needs of gender and sexual minorities.
Editors K. Bryant Smalley, Jacob C Warren, Nikki Barefoot Springer Publishing Company, New York. Pages 83-102.
McElroy JA, Brown M.
- Comparing women with and without disabilities in five-site “Healthy Weight” interventions for lesbian/bisexual women over 40.
Disability & Health Journal. 2017;10(2):271-278.
Eliason MJ, McElroy JA, Garbers S, Radix A, Toms BL.
- Fast and reliable method for As speciation in urine samples containing low levels of As by LC-ICP-MS: focus on epidemiological studies.
Carioni VMO, McElroy JA, Guthrie JM, Ngwenyama RA, Brockman JD.
- Rainbows or ribbons? Queer black women searching for a place in the cancer sisterhood.
In: Follins LD, Lassiter J, editors. Black LGBT health in the United States: the intersection of race, gender, and sexual orientation. Lanham: Lexington Books; 2017. p. 103-120.
Johnson LP, McElroy JA.
- Sexual and gender minority’s social media user characteristics: examining preferred health information.
Health Mark Q. 2017;DOI: 10.1080/07359683.2017.1310553
Park H, Rodgers S, McElroy JA, Everett K.
- Urinary cadmium and breast cancer: a prospective Danish cohort study.
Journal of the National Cancer Institute. 2017;109(2):1-7.
Eriksen KT, McElroy JA, Harrington JM, Levine KE, Pedersen C, Sorensen M, Tjonneland A, Meliker JR, Raaschou-Nielsen O.