Atherosclerosis is the cause of heart diseases, stroke and peripheral artery diseases, which are the leading cause of mortality in the USA. The pathogenesis of atherosclerosis is a highly complicated process, including oxidative stress, inflammation, dysregulation of cell structure and function, and cell death. My research focus is on hormonal/growth factors' regulation of vascular cells and inflammatory cells that are involved in atherosclerosis, with an emphasis on translation of findings on a bench to a bedside.
One Hospital Drive
Columbia, MO 65212
- Vascular inflammation
- Vascular endothelial function
Areas of Expertise
- Cell biology
- Molecular biology
- Oxidative stress
- Hormone/Growth factors
- Vascular disease model
Education & Training
1996, PhD, University of Tokyo
Awards & Honors
- SAFMR/SSCI Young Faculty Research Travel Award, American Federation for Medical Research, at 2010 Southern Regional Meeting. February 2013 (New Orleans, LA, U.S.A.)
- SAFMR/SSCI Young Faculty Research Award, American Federation for Medical Research, at 2011 Southern Regional Meeting. February 2011 (New Orleans, LA, U.S.A.)
- SAFMR/SSCI Young Faculty Award, American Federation for Medical Research, at 2010 Southern Regional Meeting. February 2010 (New Orleans, LA, U.S.A.)
- Chair’s Fund Scholarship, Gordon Research Conferences Meeting for Insulin-Like Growth Factors in Physiology & Disease. March 2009 (Ventura, CA, U.S.A.)
- SAFMR/SSCI Young Faculty Award, American Federation for Medical Research, at 2008 Southern Regional Meeting. February 2008 (New Orleans, LA, U.S.A.)
- SAFMR/SSCI Faculty Research Award, American Federation for Medical Research, at 2007 Southern Regional Meeting. February 2007 (New Orleans, LA, U.S.A.)
- Higashi Y, Sukhanov S, Shai SY, Danchuk S, Tang R, Snarski P, Li Z, Lobelle-Rich P, Wang M, Wang D, Yu H, Korthuis R, Delafontaine (2016) Insulin-Like Growth Factor-1 Receptor Deficiency in Macrophages Accelerates Atherosclerosis and Induces an Unstable Plaque Phenotype in Apolipoprotein E-Deficient Mice. Circulation, 133: 2263-2278
- Somanna, NK, Valente AJ, Krenz M, McDonald KS, Higashi Y, Noda M, Chandrasekar B. (2016) Histone deacetyltransferase inhibitors Trichostatin A and Mocetinostat differentially regulate MMP9, IL-18 and RECK expression, and attenuate Angiotensin II-induced cardiac fibroblast migration and proliferation. Hypertension Res., 39: 709-716.
- Sakamuri SS, Higashi Y, Sukhanov S, Siddesha JM, Delafontaine P, Siebenlist U, Chandrasekar B. (2016) TRAF3IP2 mediates atherosclerotic plaque development and vulnerability in ApoE-/- mice. Atherosclerosis, 252: 153-160.
- Sukhanov S, Snarski P, Vaughn C, Lobelle-Rich P, Kim C, Higashi Y, Shai SY, Delafontaine P. (2015) Insulin-like growth factor I reduces lipid oxidation and foam cell formation via downregulation of 12/15-lipoxygenase. Atherosclerosis, 238: 313-320
- Blackstock CD, Higashi Y, Sukhanov S, Shai SY, Stefanovic B, Tabony AM, Yoshida T, Delafontaine P. (2014) Insulin-like growth factor-1 increases synthesis of collagen type I via induction of the mRNA-binding protein LARP6 expression and binding to the 5' stem-loop of COL1a1 and COL1a2 mRNA. J Biol Chem., 289: 7264-7274
- Yoshida T, Galvez S, Tiwari S, Rezk BM, Semprun-Prieto L, Higashi Y, Sukhanov S, Yablonka-Reuveni Z, Delafontaine P. (2013) Angiotensin II Inhibits Satellite Cell Proliferation and Prevents Skeletal Muscle Regeneration. J Biol Chem., 288: 23823-23832.
- Higashi Y, Pandey A, Goodwin B, Delafontaine P. (2013) Insulin-like growth factor-1 regulates glutathione peroxidase expression and activity in vascular endothelial cells: Implications for atheroprotective actions of insulin-like growth factor-1. Biochim Biophys Acta., 1832: 391-399.