The kidney is susceptible to age-dependent alterations in structure that lead to renal dysfunction, including an increased susceptibility to acute kidney injury (AKI). Our laboratory is focused on projects that investigate the increased susceptibility of the aging kidney to injury in hopes of developing prevention and treatment strategies to manage the increasing burden of renal disease in the geriatric population. Current work is focused on the role of α(E)-catenin loss and Twist2 overexpression in the aging kidney.
1 Hospital Dr
Columbia, MO 65212
Areas of Expertise
- Acute Kidney Injury
- Chronic Kidney Disease
Education & Training
1997, PhD, Texas A&M University
- Nichols LA, Slusarz A, Grunz-Borgmann EA, Parrish AR. (2014) a(E)-catenin regulates BMP-7 expression and migration in renal epithelial cells. American Journal of Nephrology 39:409-417.
- Trzeciakowski JP, Gardiner L, Parrish AR. (2014) Effects of environmental levels of cadmium, lead and mercury on human renal function evaluated by structural equation modeling. Toxicology Letters 228:34-41.
- Nichols LA, Grunz-Borgmann EA, Wang X, Parrish AR. (2014) A role for the age-dependent loss of a(E)-catenin in regulation of N-cadherin expression and cell migration. Physiological Reports, Jun 11: 2(6).
- Wang X, Grunz-Borgmann EA, Parrish AR. (2014). Loss of a(E)-catenin potentiates cisplatin-induced nephrotoxicity via increasing apoptosis in renal tubular epithelial cells. Toxicological Sciences 141:254-262.
- Wang X, Parrish AR. (2015). Loss of a(E)-catenin promotes Fas mediated apoptosis in tubular epithelial cells. Apoptosis20:921-929.
- Grunz-Borgmann E, Mossine V, Fritsche K, Parrish AR. (2015) Ashwagandha attenuates TNF-a- and LPS-induced NF-kB activation and CCL2 and CCL5 gene expression in NRK-52E cells. BMC Complement Altern Med 15:434.
- Grunz-Borgmann EA, Nichols LA, Wiedmeyer CE, Spagnoli S, Trzeciakowski JP, Parrish AR. (2016) Structural equation modeling identifies markers of damage and function in the aging male Fischer 344 rat. Mech Ageing Dev 156:55-62.
- Restaino R, Shekar HD, Parrish AR, Fadel PJ, Padilla J. (2016). Increased monocyte derived reactive oxygen species in type 2 diabetes: Role of endoplasmic reticulum stress. Experimental Physiology, in press.
- Sun Z, Parrish AR, Hill MA, Meininger GA. (2014) N-cadherin, a vascular smooth muscle cell-cell adhesion molecule: Function and signaling for vasomotor control Microcirculation 21:208-218.
- Wang X, Bonventre JV, Parrish AR. (2014) The aging kidney: Increased susceptibility to nephrotoxicity. International Journal of Molecular Sciences 15:15358-15376.
- McGraw NJ, Krul ES, Grunz-Borgmann E, Parrish AR. (2016) Soy-based renoprotection. World J Nephrology 5:233-257.
- Parrish AR. (2016) The cytoskeleton as a novel target for treatment of renal fibrosis. Pharmacol Ther 166:1-8.