Lead is a pervasive environmental contaminant that has been linked to a number of diseases including cancer, cardiovascular disease, neurotoxicity and nephropathy. Dr. Parrish’s laboratory investigates the role of lead in the progression of kidney and vascular dysfunction, including the progression of kidney cancer to a metastatic phenotype, using a combination of in vitro and in vivo models.
1 Hospital Dr
Columbia, MO 65212
- Lead-induced vascular and renal dysfunction
- Lead-induced renal cancer progression.
Areas of Expertise
- Acute Kidney Injury
- Chronic Kidney Disease
Education & Training
1997, PhD, Texas A&M University
- Wang X, Nichols L, Grunz-Borgmann EA, Sun Z, Meininger GA, Domeier TL, Baines CP, Parrish AR. (2017) Fascin2 regulates cisplatin-induced apoptosis in NRK-52E cells. Toxicology Letters 266:56-64.
- Grunz-Borgmann EA, Nichols LA, Wang X, Parrish AR. (2017) Twist2 is upregulated in early stages of repair following acute kidney injury. International Journal of Molecular Sciences 18:e368.
- Akin R, Hannibal D, Loida M, Stevens EM, Grunz-Borgmann EA, Parrish AR. (2019) Cadmium and lead decrease cell-cell aggregation and increase migration and invasion in Renca mouse renal cell carcinoma cells. International Journal of Molecular Sciences 20: e6315.
- Nichols LA, Slusarz A, Grunz-Borgmann EA, Parrish AR. (2014) a(E)-catenin regulates BMP-7 expression and migration in renal epithelial cells. American Journal of Nephrology 39:409-417.
- Trzeciakowski JP, Gardiner L, Parrish AR. (2014) Effects of environmental levels of cadmium, lead and mercury on human renal function evaluated by structural equation modeling. Toxicology Letters 228:34-41.
- Nichols LA, Grunz-Borgmann EA, Wang X, Parrish AR. (2014) A role for the age-dependent loss of a(E)-catenin in regulation of N-cadherin expression and cell migration. Physiological Reports, Jun 11: 2(6).
- Wang X, Grunz-Borgmann EA, Parrish AR. (2014). Loss of a(E)-catenin potentiates cisplatin-induced nephrotoxicity via increasing apoptosis in renal tubular epithelial cells. Toxicological Sciences 141:254-262.
- Wang X, Parrish AR. (2015). Loss of a(E)-catenin promotes Fas mediated apoptosis in tubular epithelial cells. Apoptosis20:921-929.
- Grunz-Borgmann E, Mossine V, Fritsche K, Parrish AR. (2015) Ashwagandha attenuates TNF-a- and LPS-induced NF-kB activation and CCL2 and CCL5 gene expression in NRK-52E cells. BMC Complement Altern Med 15:434.
- Grunz-Borgmann EA, Nichols LA, Wiedmeyer CE, Spagnoli S, Trzeciakowski JP, Parrish AR. (2016) Structural equation modeling identifies markers of damage and function in the aging male Fischer 344 rat. Mech Ageing Dev 156:55-62.
- Restaino R, Shekar HD, Parrish AR, Fadel PJ, Padilla J. (2016). Increased monocyte derived reactive oxygen species in type 2 diabetes: Role of endoplasmic reticulum stress. Experimental Physiology, in press.
- Sun Z, Parrish AR, Hill MA, Meininger GA. (2014) N-cadherin, a vascular smooth muscle cell-cell adhesion molecule: Function and signaling for vasomotor control Microcirculation 21:208-218.
- Wang X, Bonventre JV, Parrish AR. (2014) The aging kidney: Increased susceptibility to nephrotoxicity. International Journal of Molecular Sciences 15:15358-15376.
- McGraw NJ, Krul ES, Grunz-Borgmann E, Parrish AR. (2016) Soy-based renoprotection. World J Nephrology 5:233-257.
- Parrish AR. (2016) The cytoskeleton as a novel target for treatment of renal fibrosis. Pharmacol Ther 166:1-8.