Dr. Zaghouani is director of the Immunity & Autoimmunity Research Lab. His laboratory focuses on the biology of T lymphocytes and their contribution to the development of immunity and autoimmunity.
One Hospital Drive
Columbia, MO 65212
- T lymphocytes in immunity as well as autoimmunity
Areas of Expertise
- Type 1 diabetes in the non-obese diabetic mouse
- Experimental allergic encephalomyelitis
- Viral infection in newborn mice
Education & Training
1987, PhD, University of Paris, France
- Barik,* S, AN Cattin-Roy*, TK Ukah, MM Miller, E Teixeiro, and H Zaghouani. 2020. Type II cytokines fine-tune thymic T cell selection to offset murine central nervous system autoimmunity. J. Immunol. In press. *Co-first authors.
- Miller, MM, S Barik, AN Cattin-Roy, TK Ukah, and H Zaghouani. 2019. A new IRF-1-driven apoptotic pathway triggered by IL-4/IL-13 kills neonatal Th1 cell and weakens protection against viral infection. J. Immunol. 202:3173-3186.
- Barik, S, AN Cattin-Roy, MM Miller, TK Ukah, and H Zaghouani. 2018. IL-4 and IL-13 guide early thymic progenitors to mature towards thymic resident dendritic cells. J. Immunol. 201(10):2947-2958.
- Barik, S, MM Miller, AN Cattin-Roy, TK Ukah, and H Zaghouani. 2018. A distinct dendritic cell population arises in the thymus of IL-13Rα1-sufficient but not IL-13Rα1-deficient mice. Cellular Immunol. 331:130-136.
- Barik S, MM Miller, AN Cattin-Roy, TK Ukah, W Chen, H Zaghouani. 2017. IL-4/IL-13 Signaling Inhibits the Potential of Early Thymic Progenitors To Commit to the T Cell Lineage. J Immunol. 199: 2767-2776.
- Barik S, JS Ellis, JA Cascio, MM Miller, TK Ukah, AN Cattin-Roy, H Zaghouani. IL-4/IL-13 Heteroreceptor Influences Th17 Cell Conversion and Sensitivity to Regulatory T Cell Suppression To Restrain Experimental Allergic Encephalomyelitis. J Immunol. 199: 2236-2248.
- Ukah, TK, AN Cattin-Roy, W Chen, MM Miller, S Barik, and H Zaghouani. 2017. On the Role of IL-4/IL-13 Heteroreceptor (HR) in Regulation of Type 1 Diabetes. J. Immunol. 2017 Aug 1; 199(3):894-902. Doi: 10/jimmunol.1700410. Epub2017 Jun 23.
- Chen, W, X Wan, TK Ukah, MM Miller, S Barik, AN Cattin-Roy, and H Zaghouani. 2016. Antigen Specific Immune Modulation Targets mTORC1 Function to Drive Chemokine Receptor-Mediated T Cell Tolerance. J. Immunol. 197:3554-3565
- Halim, TFY, YY Hwang, H Zaghouani, N Gabri, PG Fallon, and ANJ McKenzie. 2015. Group 2 Innate Lymphoid Cells license dendritic cells to potentiate memory T helper 2 cell responses. Nat. Immunol. Doi: 10.1038/ni.3294
- Sherman, MP, CJ Pritzl, C Xia, MM Miller, H Zaghouani, and B Hahm. 2015. Lactoferrin acts as an adjuvant during influenza vaccination of neonatal mice. Biochem. Biophys. Res. Commun. Doi: 10.1016/j.bbrc.2015.10067
- Wahidi, L, JJ Sherman, MM Miller, H Zaghouani and MP Sherman. 2015. Early Persistent Blood Eosinophilia in Necrotizing Enterocolitis is a Predictor of Late Complications. Neonatology. 108: 137-142.
- Dhakal, M., M. M. Miller, AA Zaghouani, MP Sherman, and H Zaghouani. 2015. Neonatal basophils stifles the function of early life dendritic cells to curtail T helper 1 immunity in newborn mice. J. Immunol. 195:507-518.