The heart is the first organ to form during embryogenesis, and its function is critical for the proper development and survival of the embryo. Although some information on ion-transport genes and their protein products in normal and diseased myocardial tissue is available, little is known about the role of cardiac extracellular matrix (ECM) proteins during cardiac development or in healthy and diseased adult hearts. Polo-Parada's interest is to elucidate the role of the ECM in the ionic-transport proteins and molecular basis of cardiac regional electrical specialization during development and in the adult heart. Nanotechnology is fast becoming one of the major areas of research in medicine and life science in general. Its appeal lies in the long dreamt of ability to investigate and manipulate matter at the level of individual atoms and molecules. Nanomedicine is the medical use of molecular-sized particles to deliver drugs, heat, light or other substances to specific cells in the human body. Engineering particles to be used in this way allows detection and/or treatment of diseases or injuries within the targeted cells, thereby minimizing the damage to healthy cells in the body. My main interest is in the development of nano drug delivery system, nanomaterials for imaging and diagnosis, bio/nano-sensor and nanomaterials for cell/tissue and organ manipulation.
134 Research Park Drive
Columbia, MO 65211
- Heart Development
Areas of Expertise
- Patch Clamp
- Intracellular Recordings
- Development Neuromuscular Development
- Synaptic Transmission
- Cell Culture
Education & Training
1996, MS, University of Connecticut; 1999, PhD, Case Western Reserve University
Awards & Honors
- 2 Patents
- Mentor Post-Docs
- Mentor PhD students
- Mentor MS students
- Research Foundation Fellowship. University of Connecticut 1994.
- Neuroscience Fellowship. University of Connecticut 1994.
- Neuroscience Fellowship. Case Western Reserve University 1997-1999.
- Jeremy B. Essner, Charles H. Laber, Tyler Scoot, Luis Polo-Parada and Gary A. Baker (2016). Domestic Pressure Cooker as Inexpensive Hydrothermal Vessel: Demonstrated Utility for Eco- friendly Synthesis of Non-toxic Carbon Dots. Nano_structures & Nano-Objects. Volume 6, April 2016, Pages 52-58. doi:10.1016/j.nanoso.2016.02.001.
- Michiko Watanabe, Andrew M. Rollins, Luis Polo-Parada, Pei Ma, Shi Gu, Michael W. Jenkins (2016). Probing the electrophysiology of the developing heart. Journal of Cardiovascular Development and Disease. Dev. Dis. 2016, 3(1), 10; doi:10.3390/jcdd3010010.
- Jeremy B. Essner, Charles H. Laber, Sudhir Ravula, Luis Polo-Parada and Gary A. Baker (2015). Pee-dots: biocompatible fluorescent carbon dots derived from the upcycling of urine. Green Chemistry., 2016,18, 243-250 DOI: 10.1039/C5GC02032H.First published online 21 Sep 2015
- Sudhir Ravula, Jeremy B. Essner, Wendy A. L, Luis Polo-Parada, Roli Kargupta, Garret J. Hull, Shramik Sengupta, and Gary A. Baker. (2014). Sunlight-assisted route to antimicrobial plasmonic aminoclay catalysts. Nanoscale. Nanoscale.Nanoscale, 2015,7, 86-91 DOI: 10.1039/C4NR04544K DOI: 10.1039/C4NR04544K.
- A. Guadarrama-Santan, A. Garcia-Valenzuela, F Perez-Jimenez, and Luis Polo-Parada (2014). Interdigitated capcitance sensors in the mm scale with sub-femtoFarad resolution suitable for monitoring processes in liquid films. Revista Mexicana de Fisica. 60(6):451-459 · November 2014.
- Francisco I. Ramirez-Perez, Gerardo Gutiérrez-Juárez, Sangho Bok, Keshab Gangopadhyay, Shubhra Gangopadhyay, Gary A. Baker and Luis Polo-Parada (2014). Dye-doped Organosilicate Nanoparticles as cell-preserving labels for photoacoustic signal generations. Journal of Biomedical Nanotechnology. Volume 10, Number 11, November 2014, pp 3337-3350(14).
- Jorge A. Castorena-Gonzalez, Marius C. Staiculescu, Christopher A. Foote, Luis Polo-Parada and Luis A. Martinez-Lemus (2014). The obligatory role of the actin cytoskeleton on inward remodeling induced by dithiothreitol activation of endogenous transglutaminase in isolated arterioles. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiolg. Feb 15;306(4):H485-95, doi:0.1152/ajpheart.00557.2013. Epub 2013 Dec 13.
- Luis Polo-Parada, Gabriel Mettlack, Lauren Peca, Clinton T. Rubin, Florian Plattner and James A Bibb (2014).Enhancement of neuromuscula dynamics and strength behavior using extremely low magnitude mechanical signals in mice. Journal of Biomechanics. J Biomech. 2014 Jan 3;47(1):162-7. doi: 10.1016/j.jbiomech.2013.09.024. Epub 2013 Oct 9.