Shellaine Frazier, DO, won the highest honor in medical education bestowed by the University of Missouri — the Jane Hickman Teaching Award — during the School of Medicine’s annual Education Day on Oct. 6.
Frazier is an associate professor of Clinical Pathology. Before joining the MU School of Medicine, Frazier attended medical school at A.T. Still University then completed her residency in Anatomical and Clinical Pathology at the University of Missouri Health Care. Dr. Frazier has served as Pathology Residency Program Director since 2009 and Medical Student Oversight Director since 2014.
“Dr. Frazier personifies everything the Hickman Teaching Award represents,” said Michael McCullough, MD, assistant professor of obstetrics, gynecology and women’s health. “She is a student-centered educator who is responsible for educating medical students, residents, fellows, and faculty. She is constantly improving the way we educate at the University of Missouri School of Medicine. I have personally become a better physician by having worked with Dr. Frazier.”
Each year, faculty and administrators are invited to nominate a faculty member who has made sustained and outstanding contributions to medical student education. Frazier was described by nominators as “One of the best facilitators I have had to date” and “Easily the best teacher I have had from the very first day of medical school” as well as applauded for her flexibility during the educational challenges of the COVID-19 pandemic.
Two physicians who work with Springfield Clinical Campus students received awards. Marcia Hernandez, DO, received the Outstanding Community-Based Faculty Preceptor Award. Kody Finstad, MD, received the Clinical Teacher Award.
Additional 2022 Education Day Faculty Award Winners
Curriculum Board Excellence in Teaching Awards
- Outstanding Pre-Clerkship Curriculum Innovation: Chrissa McClellan, MD, Electrodiagnostic & Neuromuscular Ultrasound Laboratory (ENUL)
- Outstanding Clinical Educator Award: Robert Sobule, PA, Director of APP Psychiatry Fellowship-Clinical Instructor of Psychiatry- Columbia
- Outstanding Community-Based Faculty Preceptor: Marcia Hernandez, DO
- Outstanding Contributor to the Educational Program: Jason Furrer, PhD
- Outstanding Resident Teaching Award: Terrance Mabry, MD
David and Kathy Morton Outstanding Faculty Educator Award
- Pre-Clinical Teacher Award: Andres Bran, MD
- Clinical Teacher Award: Andrew Harding, MD
- Clinical Teacher Award: Kody Finstad, MD
In Appreciation for Outstanding Service