Peter Wilden, PhD, won the highest honor in medical education bestowed by the University of Missouri School of Medicine — the Jane Hickman Teaching Award — on April 24 during an Education Day awards ceremony.
Wilden is an associate professor of medical pharmacology and physiology. He also serves as faculty director of the school’s MedPrep and pipeline programs.
“Dr. Wilden has ideas for changing and improving the curriculum, ideas about more effective teaching and learning, and ideas about organization and administration,” said Michael Hosokawa, EdD, senior associate dean for education and faculty development, and chair of the Hickman Award committee. “He is not shy about sharing them with me. He is exactly what we need: a variety of point of view. Over the years, he truly has made the School of Medicine better.”
In his supporting letter for Wilden, Stephen Halenda, PhD, associate professor of medical pharmacology and physiology, said Wilden has made substantial contributions to essentially every level of medical education at MU.
“He was instrumental in the design of the current pre-admission program, has served on and chaired the admissions committee for many years, and has served on many other important committees,” Halenda said. “Peter’s work is written into the DNA of the medical curriculum and student services.”
Other 2019 Education Day faculty award winners include:
- David and Kathy Morton Outstanding Faculty Educator Awards
- Pre-clinical Teacher: Shellaine Frazier, DO
- Clinical Teacher (Columbia campus): Cathy Jones, MD
- Clinical Teacher (Springfield campus): Magnus Meyer, DO
- Curriculum Board Excellence in Teaching Awards
- Citation of Merit: Stephen Colbert, MD
- Outstanding Pre-clerkship Faculty Educator: Laura Johnson, PhD
- Outstanding Clinical Educator: Ovais Hasan, MD
- Outstanding Resident Teaching: Lila Nolan, MD
- Outstanding Community-based Faculty Preceptor: Kevin Blanton, MD
- Outstanding Course Director: Arthur Rawlings, MD
- Outstanding Pre-clerkship Curriculum Innovation: Robert Lim, PhD
- Outstanding Clerkship Curriculum Innovation: Family Medicine Clerkship Leadership Team (Amanda Allmon, MD; Mark Ellis, MD; Peter Koopman, MD; Sarah Swofford, MD; and Angie Whitesell, MD)
- Outstanding Contributor to the Education Program: Reza Farid, MD