Dr. Pawan Singh is an assistant professor of ophthalmology in the School of Medicine and his lab studies molecular mechanisms and ways to treat ocular infectious diseases. Current interests include understanding the link between Zika virus and congenital glaucoma, the role of innate immunity and neuroprotection in glaucoma, and developing recombinant antibodies or vaccine candidates to treat or diagnose lethal infectious diseases.
- Ocular Infectious Diseases
- Congenital Glaucoma
- Ocular Viral Infections
- Host-Pathogen Interaction
- Innate Immunity and Inflammation
- Blood Retinal Barrier
- Gene Therapy
- Transcriptomics, Metabolomics and Disease Biomarkers Discovery
- Antibody Engineering
- Vaccine Candidates
Areas of Expertise
- Mouse model development for ocular infectious disease (bacterial, fungal, viral)
- Intravitreal injections
- Gene therapy
- Retinal cell culture
- Site directed mutagenesis
- Gene cloning, expression and protein purification
- Antibody development/ engineering
Education & Training
2012-2017: Postdoctoral Fellowship, Wayne State University School of Medicine, Detroit, USA
2011: PhD, Jiwaji University/ Defense Research & Development Establishment, Gwalior, India
2006: MS, Nagpur University, Nagpur, India
Awards & Honors
- 2021: NEI/NIH R01 Research Award (2021-2026)
- 2021: Foster Ocular Immunology Society Travel Award for ARVO 2021
- 2020: Topical Advisory Panel/ Topic editor: Journal Pathogens (MDPI)
- 2019: NEI/NIH Travel Award for ARVO 2019
- 2018: Eversight Centre for Eye & Vision Research Grant Award
- 2018, 2017 & 2014: Best Paper Presentation Award, Vision Workshop, Kresge Eye Institute (KEI), Wayne State University School of Medicine.
- 2016: Alliance for Vision Research Grant Award
- 2016: KEI-TRIG Intramural Research Grant Award
- 2014: Fight For Sight Postdoctoral Fellowship Research Grant Award
- 2013: Young investigator Award in Microbiology by Dr. Raniyah Ramadan Foundation, ARVO 2013, Seattle, Washington.
- 2013-Present: Editor, International Journal of Ophthalmology and Eye Sciences
- 2010: Young Scientist Award, M.P. Council of Science & Technology, India.
- 2010 & 2008: Best Poster Presentation Award, Association of Microbiologist of India.
- 2014: Member, American Society for Microbiology (ASM)
- 2012-Present: Member for ARVO
- 2010: Life member of the Association of Microbiologists of India
- 2008: Member Antibody Engineering Society
- Sukhvinder Singh, Pawan Kumar Singh, AlokkumarJha, Poonam Naik, Joveeta Joseph, Shailendra Giri, Ashok Kumar.
Integrative metabolomics and transcriptomics identifies itaconate as an adjunct therapy to treat ocular bacterial infection.
Cell Reports Medicine. 2021. 2(5), 100277. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.xcrm.2021.100277.
- Pawan Kumar Singh, Sukhvinder Singh, Robert Emery Wright III, Ramandeep Rattan, and Ashok Kumar.
Aging, but not sex and genetic diversity, impacts the pathobiology of bacterial endophthalmitis
Investigative Ophthalmology & Visual Sciences (IOVS), 2020. 61,5. doi: https://doi.org/10.1167/iovs.61.14.5
- Bruce G. Rottmann, Pawan Kumar Singh, Sneha Singh, Sanjay G. Revankar, Pranatharthi H. Chandrasekar, Ashok Kumar.
Evaluation of susceptibility and innate immune response in C57BL/6 and BALB/c mice during Candida albicans endophthalmitis. Investigative Ophthalmology & Visual Sciences (IOVS). 2020, 61(11):31. doi: https://doi.org/10.1167/iovs.61.11.31.
- Ajay Kumar, Pawan Kumar Singh, Kezhong Zhang, and Ashok Kumar.
Toll-like receptor 2 (TLR2) engages endoplasmic reticulum stress sensor IRE1α to regulate retinal innate responses in S. aureus endophthalmitis.
The FASEB journal. 2020. doi: https://doi.org/10.1096/fj.202001393R
- Rebecca Francis†, Pawan Kumar Singh†, Sneha Singh, Shailendra Giri, Ashok Kumar.
Glycolytic inhibitor 2-deoxyglucose suppresses inflammatory response in innate immune cells and experimental staphylococcal endophthalmitis.
Experimental Eye Research. 197:108079. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.exer.2020.108079. († First author/equal contribution).
- Sneha Singh, Pawan Kumar Singh, Hamid Suhail, V. Arumugaswami, Phil E. Pellett, Shailendra Giri, Ashok Kumar.
AMP-Activated Protein Kinase Restricts Zika Virus Replication in Endothelial Cells by Potentiating Innate Antiviral Responses and Inhibiting Glycolysis.
Journal of Immunology. 2020. 1;204 (7):1810-1824. doi: https://doi.org/10.4049/jimmunol.1901310.
- Neha Gupta†, Pawan Kumar Singh†, Sanjay G. Revankar, Pranatharthi H. Chandrasekar, Ashok Kumar.
Pathobiology of Aspergillus Fumigatus Endophthalmitis in Immunocompetent and Immunocompromised Mice.
Microorganisms. 2019. 7(9), 297. https://doi.org/10.3390/microorganisms7090297 († First author/equal contribution).
- Pawan Kumar Singh#, Ramesh B. Kasetti, Gulab S. Zode, Anju Goyal, Mark S. Juzych, Ashok Kumar.
Zika Virus (ZIKV) infects Trabecular Meshwork (TM) and causes Trabeculitis and Glaucomatous Pathology in Mouse Eyes.
mSphere. 2019. 4(3). doi: https://doi.org/10.1128/mSphere.00173-19. (# Corresponding Author).
- Pawan Kumar Singh, Sneha Singh, Dustin Farr, and Ashok Kumar.
Interferon-stimulated gene 15 (ISG15) restricts Zika virus replication in primary human corneal epithelial cells.
Ocular Surface. 2019. S1542-0124(19)30018-7. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jtos.2019.03.006