Abdelnaby Khalyfa, MS, PhD, is a renowned sleep researcher who studies the metabolic and vascular consequences of sleep disorders.
Khalyfa has conducted groundbreaking research relating to obstructive sleep apnea in children, linking the disorder to genetic disruptions that lead to inflammation, organ dysfunction and metabolic dysfunction. He was also the first researcher to link sleep disruption during pregnancy to metabolic dysfunction in offspring. Recently, he developed research around how extracellular vesicles (exosomes) can change cell phenotypes based on disease state.
Today, Khalyfa’s ongoing research seeks to identify genetic markers in children and adults with sleep disorders that could predict the onset of long-term medical conditions such as obesity and hypertension.
Khalyfa has approximately 85 peer-reviewed publications. Previously, he served as assistant professor of pediatrics at the University of Louisville and associate professor at the University of Chicago. He joined the University of Missouri School of Medicine faculty in 2019 to continue his research and teaching.
1 Hospital Dr.
Columbia, MO 65212
- Exosome and macrophage crosstalk in sleep-disordered breathing-induced metabolic dysfunction.
- Sleep-disordered breathing, circulating exosomes and insulin sensitivity in adipocytes.
- Circulating exosomes in obstructive sleep apnea as phenotypic biomarkers and mechanistic messengers of end-organ morbidity.
Education & Training
- Khalyfa A, Kheirandish-Gozal L, Gozal D. Exosome and Macrophage Crosstalk in Sleep-Disordered Breathing-Induced Metabolic Dysfunction.
Int J Mol Sci. 2018 Oct 29;19(11). pii: E3383. doi: 10.3390/ijms19113383. Review. PMID: 30380647
- Khalyfa A, Kheirandish-Gozal L, Gozal D. Circulating exosomes in obstructive sleep apnea as phenotypic biomarkers and mechanistic messengers of end-organ morbidity.
Respir Physiol Neurobiol. 2018 Oct;256:143-156. doi: 10.1016/j.resp.2017.06.004. Epub 2017 Jul 1. Review. PMID: 28676332
- Khalyfa A, Kheirandish-Gozal L, Khalyfa AA, Philby MF, Alonso-Álvarez ML, Mohammadi M, Bhattacharjee R, Terán-Santos J, Huang L, Andrade J, Gozal D. Circulating Plasma Extracellular Microvesicle MicroRNA Cargo and Endothelial Dysfunction in Children with Obstructive Sleep Apnea.
Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2016 Nov 1; 194(9): 1116-1126. PMID: 27163713