My research focus is on medical data analytics, data mining, clinical decision support, and electronic health records. My interests include evidence-based decision support for low-resource clinical settings, data mining in electronic health records, and predictive healthcare analytics. As a research fellow at the National Library of Medicine, I published several papers on mHealth and eHealth applications for global medicine. During that time, I also founded a non-profit organization to develop and distribute medical software in low-resource environments. My current research focus is on predicting and intervening in exacerbations of chronic disease by mining big data for predictors of health outcomes, and using them to deliver point-of-care decision support. During my medical and doctoral studies, I have collaborated with clinicians and researchers on innovative projects in predictive analytics, population health management, big-data healthcare analytics, clinical decision support, accountable care, medical pedagogy, pharmacogenomics, and natural language processing. My passion and focus are on engaging teams of skilled investigators and thinkers, in any department or profession, to formulate and solve the problems of delivering better health care, at lower cost, to those who need it most urgently. I completed medical school in 2011 with a focus on rural primary care and public health, and my medical training taught me the realities of clinical workflow, information needs at the point of care, and real-time clinical decision support. I have over 20 years of industry experience in business analysis, software engineering, and project management. These skills and experiences give me a unique understanding of clinical informatics and enable me to communicate productively with clinicians and scientists in their own language.
1 Hospital Drive
Columbia, MO 65212
- Medically underserved populations
- Low-resource clinical environments
- Population health
- Clinical decision support
- Health disparities
- Machine learning
Areas of Expertise
- Secondary data analytics
- Natural language processing
- Machine learning
Education & Training
2011, MD, University of Missouri
2010, National Library of Medicine
2012, National Library of Medicine
In the News
- Sheets L, Petroski GF, Jaddoo J, Barnett Y, Barnett C, Henderson Kelley LE, Raman V, Kind AJ, Parker JC. The Effect of Neighborhood Disadvantage on Diabetes Prevalence. AMIA Annual Symposium Proceedings. 2017;1129-1138.
- Sheets L, Lyttle K, Popejoy LL, Parker JC. The Paradox of Higher Charges for Lower-Risk Inpatient Admissions: When Healthier Patients Cost More. Stud Health Technol Inform. 2017;245:1158-1162.
- Sheets L, Popescu M, Lyttle K, Cho SY, Parker JC. Longitudinal Changes in Risk Stratification for a Managed Population. Stud Health Technol Inform. 2017;245:578-580.
- Phinney MA, Zhuang Y, Lander S, Sheets L, Parker JC, Shyu CR. Contrast Mining for Pattern Discovery and Descriptive Analytics to Tailor Sub-Groups of Patients Using Big Data Solutions. Stud Health Technol Inform. 2017;245:544-548.
- Sheets L, Petroski GF, Zhuang Y, Phinney MA, Ge B, Parker JC, Shyu CR. Combining Contrast Mining with Logistic Regression to Predict Healthcare Utilization in a Managed Care Population. Applied Clinical Informatics. 2017;8(2):430-446.
- Sheets L, Popejoy L, Khalilia M, Petroski G, Parker JC. Identifying Patients at Risk of High Healthcare Utilization. AMIA Annu Symp Proc. 2016.
- Sheets L, Luan Z, Dillon T. Usability of a Care Management Documentation System: A Mixed Methods Analysis. Stud Health Technol Inform. 2015;216:969.
- Mosa A, Yoo I, Sheets L. Healthcare Applications for Smartphones. In Z. Yan (Ed.), Encyclopedia of Mobile Phone Behavior. Hershey, PA: IGI Global, 2015.
- Sheets L, Liu F, Sarmiento RF, Gavino A, Fontelo P. Optimizing the txt2MEDLINE Search Portal for Low-Resource Clinical Decision Support. AMIA Annu Symp Proc. 2013; 2014:1277-81.
- Sheets L, Gavino A, Callaghan F, Fontelo P. Do Language Fluency and Other Socioeconomic Factors Influence the Use of PubMed and MedlinePlus? Applied Clinical Informatics. 2013 Apr; 4(2):170-84. PMID: 23874356.
- Sheets L. MD Advisor for Oral Contraceptives. Modern Diagnostics, 2012. iPhone/iPad/Android App.
- Sheets L, Callaghan F, Gavino A, Liu F, Fontelo P. Usability of Selected Databases for Low-Resource Clinical Decision Support. Applied Clinical Informatics. 2012 Sep; 3(3):326-33. PMID: 23646080. Mosa AS,
- Yoo I, Sheets L. A Systematic Review of Healthcare Applications for Smartphones. BMC Medical Informatics and Decision Making. 2012 Jul; 12(1):67. PMID: 22781312.
- Sheets L. A Case Study in Translating Medical Evidence into Mobile Decision Support. World Medical & Health Policy. 2012 Jun; 4(2):1-11. DOI: 10.1515/1948-4682.1226.