Robin Kruse is a health services researcher focused on gerontological issues. Rather than focusing on cures (which are important!), health services research examines how the delivery of health care affects patients’ outcomes. She is the Core Director of MU’s Center for Patient-Centered Outcomes Research (PCOR), a multidisciplinary project that is building capacity for PCOR at MU. Dr. Kruse works on several other studies that involve health care delivery, including a randomized trial to improve anxiety for caregivers of hospice patients, comparing outcomes for patients who were discharged to a skilled nursing facility or home following radical cystectomy, and comparing the effectiveness of various vascular surgery procedures.
In addition to research, Dr. Kruse teaches research methods and comparative effectiveness research in the Department’s online master’s program in academic medicine. She is also part of a team helping early stage researchers to develop grant proposals.
One Hospital Drive
MA306 Medical Sciences Building, DC032.00
Columbia, MO 65212
- Activities of Daily Living
- Outcomes of Lower Respiratory Infections
- Prognostic Modeling
Areas of Expertise
- Comparative Effectiveness Research
- Research Methods and Analysis
Education & Training
PhD: Environmental and Forest Biology, State University of New York
MSPH: University of Missouri
For a complete publication list, see: My Bibliography (NCBI Collections)
- Assessing the reliability and validity of a brief measure of Caregiver Quality of Life (CQLI-R).
J Pain Symptom Manage. 2019;58(5):871-877.
Parker Oliver D, Kruse R, Smith J, Washington K, Demiris G.
- A comparison of rural and urban hospice family caregivers' cancer pain knowledge and experience.
J Pain Symptom Manage. 2019;58(4):685-689.
Washington KT, Parker Oliver D, Smith JB, Kruse RL, Meghani SH, Demiris G.
- Predicting Mortality in Nursing Home Residents With Dementia and Pneumonia Treated With Antibiotics: Validation of a Prediction Model in a More Recent Population.
The journals of gerontology. Series A, Biological sciences and medical sciences. 2019;74(12):1922-1928.
Rauh SP, Heymans MW, van der Maaden T, Mehr DR, Kruse RL, de Vet HCW, van der Steen JT.
- Association of neutrophil-to-lymphocyte ratio with outcomes after elective abdominal aortic aneurysm repair.
Journal of Vascular Nursing. 2019;37(3):213-220.
Bath J, Smith JB, Kruse RL, Vogel TR.
- Association of postoperative glycemic control with outcomes after carotid procedures.
Vascular. 2019; DOI: 10.1177/1708538119866528.
Bath J, Kruse RL, Smith JB, Balasundaram N, Vogel TR.
- Outcomes associated with hyperglycemia after abdominal aortic aneurysm repair.
J Vasc Surg. 2019;69(3):763-773.
Tarbunou YA, Smith JB, Kruse RL, Vogel TR.
- Cohort study of risk factors for 30-day readmission after abdominal aortic aneurysm repair.
Bath J, Smith JB, Kruse RL, Vogel TR.
- Lay advisor interventions in rural populations: A systematic review and meta-analysis.
American Journal of Preventive Medicine. 2019;57(1):117-126.
Patil SJ, Lewis M, Tallon EM, Wareg NK, Murray KS, Elliott SG, Stevermer JJ, Kruse RL, Mehr DR.
- Hospital readmissions after elective lower extremity vascular procedures.
Vogel TR, Smith JB, Kruse RL.
- Perspectives on procedure Importance: residents, faculty, and community practitioners.
Family Medicine. 2018;50(6):450-454.
Ludden-Schlatter A, Wells J, Kruse RL.
- Racial and socioeconomic disparities after carotid procedures.
Vasc Endovascular Surg. 2018;DOI: 10.1177/1538574418764063
Vogel TR, Kruse RL, Kim RJ, Dombrovskiy VY.
- Socioeconomic status and other factors associated with childhood obesity.
Journal of the American Board of Family Medicine: JABFM. 2018;31(4):514-521.
Williams AS, Ge B, Petroski G, Kruse RL, McElroy JA, Koopman RJ.
- Cadmium exposure and endometrial cancer risk: a large midwestern U.S. population-based case-control study.
PLoS ONE [Electronic Resource]. 2017;12(7):e0179360.
McElroy JA, Kruse RL, Guthrie J, Gangnon RE, Robertson JD.
- Embedding a medical search engine within an electronic health record.
Missouri Medicine. 2017;114(4):316-320.
Alafaireet P, Belden J, Botkin M, Kochendorfer K, Kruse R, Streckler D, Williams J.
- Hospice family caregiver involvement in care plan meetings: a mixed-methods randomized controlled trial.
American Journal of Hospice & Palliative Medicine. 2017;34(9):849-859.
Parker Oliver D, Demiris G, Washington K, Kruse RL, Petroski G.
- Risk factors for 30-day hospital re-admission with an infectious complication after lower-extremity vascular procedures.
Surgical Infections. 2017;18(3):319-326.
Melvin JC, Smith JB, Kruse RL, Vogel TR.
- The association of postoperative glycemic control and lower extremity procedure outcomes.
Journal of Vascular Surgery. 2017;66(4):1123-1132.
Vogel TR, Smith JB, Kruse RL.
- The effect of internet group support for caregivers on social support, self-efficacy, and caregiver burden: a meta-analysis.
Telemedicine Journal & E-Health. 2017;23(8):621-629.
Parker Oliver DR, Patil S, Benson JJ, Gage A, Washington K, Kruse RL, Demiris G.
- Expectations of the competencies of entering family medicine residents: do members of the family agree? A CERA study.
Family Medicine. 2016;48(8):613-617.
Swofford SJ, Allmon AL, Morley CP, Kruse RL, Garrett E.
- Family members’ experience with hospice in nursing homes.
American Journal of Hospice & Palliative Medicine. 2016;33(4):354-362.
Gage LA, Washington KT, Parker Oliver DR, Kruse RL, Lewis A, Demiris G.
- Predicting mortality in patients treated differently: updating and external validation of a prediction model for nursing home residents with dementia and lower respiratory infections.
BMJ Open. 2016;6(8):e011380.
Rauh SP, Heymans MW, Mehr DR, Kruse RL, Lane P, Kowall NW, Volicer L, van der Steen JT.
- The social convoy for family caregivers over the course of hospice.
Journal of Pain & Symptom Management. 2016;51(2):213-219.
Albright DL, Washington KT, Parker Oliver DR, Lewis A, Kruse RL, Demiris G.
- Anxiety among informal hospice caregivers: an exploratory study.
Palliative Support Care. 2015;13(3):567-573.
Washington KT, Demiris G, Pike KC, Kruse RL, Oliver DP.
- Cilostazol and freedom from amputation after lower extremity revascularization.
Journal of Vascular Surgery. 2015;61(4):960-964.
Neel JD, Kruse RL, Dombrovskiy VY, Vogel TR.
- Functional status of nursing home residents before and after abdominal aortic aneurysm repair.
Journal of Vascular Nursing. 2015;33(3):106-111.
Beffa LR, Petroski GF, Kruse RL, Vogel TR.
- Randomized clinical trials in US hospices: challenges and the current state of the art.Clinical Investigation. 2015;5(11):839-846.
Kruse RL, Gage LA, Washington KT, Parker Oliver DR.
- Supervision and risk of unintentional injury in young children.
Injury Prevention. 2015;21(e1):e63-e70.
Schnitzer PG, Dowd MD, Kruse RL, Morrongiello BA.
- Understanding the exercise habits of residents and attending physicians: a mixed methodology study.
Family Medicine. 2015;47(2):118-123.
Williams AS, Williams CD, Cronk NJ, Kruse RL, Ringdahl EN, Koopman RJ.