The University of Missouri offers a summer research internship with the immediate objective of recruiting students with the ultimate goal of improving diversity in the biomedical sciences workforce. In a nine-week program (June 1 - July 29, 2022), you’ll work on your own research projects under the guidance of an MU School of Medicine faculty member and present results at a poster forum at the end of the session. You’ll learn how to write abstracts and design posters to prepare for the poster forum.
Education Beyond Research
You’ll also participate in a series of evening workshops and brown-bag lunches to explore research, career preparation and options, and scientific ethics. For weekly specialty discussions, you’ll read articles relevant to the topics and engage with peers and faculty members.
To be eligible for the internship program, you should be pursuing a major in animal sciences, biology, biochemistry, chemistry, or related fields, and have a minimum 3.3 GPA on a 4.0 scale. Selection is partially based on your potential and motivation for future enrollment in the MU School of Medicine. You must be a citizen or permanent resident of the US. Students who graduate before December 2022 are not eligible.
If you’re selected for the program, you’ll live on campus and receive meals. Additional benefits may include:
- One hour of academic/research credit
- Travel to and from Columbia, MO
- A stipend of $3,400
How to Apply
The application deadline is February 11, 2022.
Complete the application form (link above) and provide these additional items:
- Personal statement (not to exceed 2,000 characters) which should include the following:
- Brief summary of your personal and family background
- Future education and career goals
- Motivation for your future plans
- Resume or CV (NOT post-secondary experiences form)
- Unofficial transcript with the most recent grades
- Statement of research interests (not to exceed 2,000 characters)
- At least one letter of recommendation from a science faculty member. Two letters are preferred.
Please submit application, personal statement, resume, transcript(s) and statement of research interests as a single PDF file electronically to:
Letters of recommendation should be submitted directly to Mrs. Taylor at the same email address.