Missouri high school students interested in careers in medicine can preview what medical school is like during Mini Medical School. The students will stay in residence halls and eat in dining rooms on campus. We strongly encourage students from underrepresented minority groups and from rural communities to apply. Participation is open to current Missouri high school juniors graduating in 2020.
Session 1: June 16-20, 2019
Session 2: June 23-27, 2019
What Participation Includes
- Introduction to Patient-Based Learning (PBL)
- Special sessions with clinical and research specialists
- Hospital tours
- Hands-on experience in anatomy, microbiology, and clinical skills
- Meaningful interactions with current School of Medicine students, faculty, and staff
- Seminars on college and medical school application processes and life as a medical student
- Social activities (such as pool parties, trivia nights, field games, movie nights, etc.).
Expectations for Participants
- Participants are expected to stay for the duration of the program.They will not be allowed to check-in late or leave early except in cases of emergency.Camp typically runs from 3 p.m. Sunday until 4 p.m. Thursday.
- Once participants have selected a session, it is very unlikely that they will be able to switch sessions if they are no longer able to attend.
- We will assign roommates. Participants will not be able to select roommates.
- Students will be expected to attend all sessions and very little unscheduled free time is given throughout the week.
Cost to Attend and Financial Aid
The fee for Mini Medical School is $600 per session. The fee includes lodging and dining on campus for the duration of the camp. Some financial aid will be available in cases of financial need, and those who wish to be considered must apply. A non-refundable deposit of $300 will be due after students receive notification of acceptance into the program. The remaining balance will be due three weeks before the session begins.
- Apply Now
- High school transcript (at least five semesters) sent by high school
- Test scores (ACT, PreACT, SAT or PSAT) – Attn: High School Mini-Med School, University of Missouri, LC201 PCCLC, Columbia, MO 65212
- Science teacher’s recommendation sent directly by teacher – Attn:High School Mini-Med School, University of Missouri, LC201 PCCLC, Columbia, MO 65212
- Financial Aid Application Here
- January – application available
- March 1 – application deadline
- April 15 – letters of acceptance mailed
|11 a.m.||PBL||Free Time||PBL||Lecture|
|1 p.m.||Student Panel||Lecture||Lecture||Physicians Panel|
|2 p.m.||Lecture||Lecture||Tour of Hospital||Closing Ceremony|
|3 p.m.||Check-In||Suture Lab||Simulations||Tour of Hospital||Closing Ceremony|
|4 p.m.||Welcome Dinner||Suture Lab||Simulations||Tour of Hospital||Closing Ceremony|
|5 p.m.||Welcome Dinner||Dinner||Dinner||Dinner|
|6 p.m.||Welcome Dinner||Objectives||Objectives||Objectives|
|7 p.m.||Welcome Dinner||Objectives||Objectives||Objectives|
|8 – 10 p.m.||Social Activity||Social Activity||Social Activity||Social Activity|