Missouri high school students interested in careers in medicine can preview what medical school is like during Mini-Medical School. Students will stay in residence halls and eat in dining rooms on campus. We strongly encourage students from underrepresented minority groups and from rural communities to apply. Participation will be open to current Missouri high school juniors (rising seniors) graduating in 2024.
- Session 1: June 4-8, 2023
- Session 2: June 11-15, 2023
Note: All MedPrep programs are subject to the changing conditions of the Covid-19 response and may be conducted online as needed.
What Participation Includes
- Introduction to Patient-Based Learning (PBL)
- Special sessions with clinical and research specialists
- Hands-on experience in anatomy, microbiology, and clinical skills
- Meaningful interactions with current School of Medicine students, faculty, and staff
- Seminars on college and medical school application processes and life as a medical student
- Social activities (such as pool parties, trivia nights, field games, movie nights, etc.).
Expectations for Participants
- Participants are expected to stay for the duration of the program. They will not be allowed to check-in late or leave early except in cases of emergency. Camp typically runs from 3 p.m. Sunday until 4 p.m. Thursday.
- Once participants have selected a session, it is very unlikely that they will be able to switch sessions if they are no longer able to attend.
- All participants will stay in the residential hall on campus, and will be assigned a roommate.
- Students will be expected to attend all sessions and very little unscheduled free time is given throughout the week.
- Participants must follow all School of Medicine COVID guidelines and protocols as determined by the University Hospital Incident Command.
Cost to Attend and Financial Aid
The total fee with the deposit for Mini Medical School is $650 per session. The fee includes lodging and dining on campus for the duration of the camp, scrubs, t-shirt, and learning materials.
Some scholarships to attend the camp are available, and those who wish to be considered will need to complete both the camp application as well as the Scholarship Application. Those that receive a full scholarship, will still be required to pay the $50 deposit to secure their spot at camp.
Upon acceptance into the program, students will be required to pay half of the camp fee ($325; includes $50 deposit) within three weeks of acceptance. The remaining balance ($325) will be due within three weeks of the start of camp.
If the camper is unable to attend after acceptance and payment, the $50 deposit will be refundable. Any other camp fees collected, are non-refundable. STARTING JUNE 4th, NO REFUNDS WILL BE GIVEN IF A CAMPER IS UNABLE TO ATTEND.
- High school transcript (at least five semesters) sent by high school*
- Science teacher's recommendation sent directly by teacher*
- Mini-Med Application
*Application materials can be emailed to: email@example.com
Or mailed to:
High School Mini-Med School
University of Missouri
Columbia, MO 65212
Important Dates for June 2023 Camps
- February 3, 2023 - Applications Opens
- March 17, 2023 - Application & All Materials (transcripts, letter of evaluation) Due
- April 14, 2023 - Applicants Notified If Accepted
|1 p.m.||Student Panel||Lecture||Lecture||Physicians Panel|
|2 p.m.||Lecture||Lecture||Tour of Campus||Closing Ceremony|
|3 p.m.||Check-In||Suture Lab||Simulations||Tour of Campus||Closing Ceremony|
|4 p.m.||Welcome Dinner||Suture Lab||Simulations||Lecture|
|5 p.m.||Welcome Dinner||Dinner||Dinner||Dinner|
|6 p.m.||Welcome Dinner||Objectives||Objectives||Objectives|
|7 p.m.||Welcome Dinner||Objectives||Objectives||Objectives|
|8 – 10 p.m.||Social Activity||Social Activity||Social Activity||Social Activity|