College can be a daunting experience full of new challenges. If you’re interested in the sciences, MARC/IMSD can offer support and guidance that can foster a successful future career in a science field. Focused on underrepresented groups, the programs nurtures participants, offers research opportunities and establishes a community to foster growth and career guidance.
Applications will continue to be accepted on a space-available basis.
Priority Application date: Friday, August 20, 2021 at 5pm.
- Must be a US Citizen or Permanent Resident and full-time University of Missouri student in good standing
- Be from a group that is traditionally underrepresented in biomedical research. For the purpose of the MARC/IMSD program, underrepresented groups include those reported by the National Science Foundation as well as the National Academies to be nationally underrepresented in biomedical sciences (i.e. African Americans, Hispanic Americans, Native Americans, natives of U.S. Pacific Islands and people with disabilities). Applicants may include and identify as any other categories that institutional policies have determined to be underrepresented in biomedical research fields with a strong rationale, appropriate references, and official validated documentation.
- Must be a full-time University of Missouri student in good standing.
- Must have a passion for science and research, a strong work ethic and time management skills, and a strong commitment to succeed and to uphold the goals of the MARC/IMSD Program.
- Complete brief questionnaire
- Answer 9 brief essay questions
- Attend interview with MARC/IMSD program director & staff. Interviews begin August 30, 2021.
The Fellows application period for Summer 2021 and Academic Year 2021-2022 has closed. The application for Summer 2022 and Academic Year 2022-2023 will be released in November 2021.
- Must be full-time MU student who has completed at least two semesters at MU prior to the start of their internship
- Must intend to work on a life science research project (basic, theoretical or applied, in the field and/or laboratory) with an MU faculty mentor
- Complete two page application form
- Provide a brief Research Project Proposal
- Provide a personal statement
- Provide an MU transcript, including Fall 2021 grades
- Provide 2 letters of recommendation from science faculty or other appropriate mentors/instructors