The 2021 visiting student application cycle is closed. We are now accepting applications for 2022-2023 and students will be notified as departments determine availability.
Please review our latest information for visiting students:
- We are only accepting visiting students from U.S. accredited LCME and COCA medical schools.
- Students must have completed the third-year core clerkships before their visiting rotation begins.
- We are not accepting international student applications.
- We do not accept visiting students in required third-year clerkships.
- We prefer students follow our block schedule; however, some departments will allow variable start and end dates based on current enrollment and staffing.
- Block dates can be found on the academic calendar our student resources page.
- We do not provide student housing.
Visiting student application process
The University of Missouri uses VSLO, the Visiting Student Learning Opportunities Program, to receive all visiting student applications. For more information on VSLO, please visit aamc.org/visiting-students or contact VSAS at email@example.com or 202-478-9878.
To apply to our school, complete an application on VSLO for your preferred electives and dates. Incomplete applications WILL NOT be accepted.
Visiting students are required to submit to mandatory background check and a seven-panel drug screen.
We require the following documentation:
- University of Missouri Mandatory Human Resources Form
- See Instructions for Human Resources Document
- Please do not upload the results of the background checks. Your school will have to verify and sign the forms as the authorized representative.
- The AAMC Standardized Immunization Form (see more about immunization below)
- Please be sure to follow the instructions on the AAMC form, including information about staying current on your TB tests.
- The Access and Confidentiality Agreement
- Proof of BLS or ACLS certification
- Passing of STEP or COMPLEX score
- Official transcript
- Professional photo on a white or neutral background
After you are made a conditional offer, we require the following documentation:
- Malpractice insurance of at least $3 million aggregate and $1 million per instance OR confirmation you will purchase supplemental insurance if your institution does not provide enough
- Completed infection control, HIPPA, code of conduct, and PowerChart training modules.
- If rotating between Oct. 1 and April 30, you will need to provide proof of a current flu shot
Some departments may require additional documentation such as a statement of interest.
We accept the AAMC Standardized Immunization Form, and we have the following additional requirements:
- If you rotate between Oct. 1 and April 30, you will be required to get a flu shot. You will need to provide proof of an updated flu shot to VSLO.
- We require a two TB tests within a year of each other. The second cannot expire prior to the end of your chosen rotation. If your TB tests are out of date, they will need to be updated on your AAMC form prior to your application being sent to the department for review.
- Because of the pandemic, we now require every visiting student to be vaccinated against COVID-19 or to provide a medical or religious exception.
Each department maintains its own course rosters and reviews visiting student applications. The department will determine the status of your application based on faculty and staff availability. The departmental student coordinator will contact you once a decision has been made. (See a list of student coordinators.)
Contact Ashley Chandler for general application questions. However, keep in mind she cannot answer questions about block availability, the length of the application process, or the status of your application.
Living in Columbia
Learn about living and working in Columbia, Missouri.