The School of Medicine offers seven summer programs/fellowships for MU’s first-year/rising second-year medical students. The experiences last between four and eight weeks. Research and clinical opportunities are available. Positions are competitive and limited.
# of Slots
|Length of Program|
Medicine Summer Clinical Externship
|$2,250||8||2 weeks (24/7)|
|$1,230||2-3||2 weeks + summer hrs.|
|Summer Research Fellowship||$3,000||unspecified||8 weeks|
Only MU students who are in their first year of medical school can apply for these positions. All positions, other than Research, follow the same timetable (see below). Applications open on February 3rd and close on March 3rd. The application for Research opens on February 3rd and closes March 24th.
After reviewing all of the positions (links above), decide which is your first choice and complete/submit the application (link to application can be found at the bottom of each program's page). If you definitely want a research position, please do not apply for any of the clinical or Med Ed positions.
Program coordinators (other than Research) will contact applicants with their hiring decisions the week of March 13th. Starting March 17th, any students who were not selected for their first choice will be allowed to apply for their second choice out of the positions that are still available. Positions with openings will still have an active application link on their pages. No application link means no positions available. This second round of applications will close March 24th. Program coordinators will make applicants aware of their hiring decisions for the 2nd round the week of March 31st.
Students who get hired for clinical or Med Ed positions who would like to gain additional experience by volunteering for another program (students can only get paid for one position) can reach out to coordinators of clinical or Med Ed positions after March 31st to ask if they need any additional help. If a volunteer position is found, the student will need to ask Mikka Libbert for a waiver form for both coordinators and student to complete/submit, asking permission for a second position.
Summer Research Fellowship applications will be open February 3rd-March 24th. Students who get hired for a research position cannot add a second (volunteer) position.
Dates and Deadlines
- Jan. 31, 2023 - M1 Class Meeting, 12-1 pm via ZOOM
- Feb. 3, 2023 - All Clinical and Med Ed applications open
- Feb. 3, 2023 - Summer Research Fellowship application opens
- Mar. 3, 2023 - Clinical and Med Ed applications close
- Week of Mar. 13, 2023 - Program coordinators (other than Research) contact applicants with their hiring decisions
- Mar. 17, 2023 - Second round applications open
- Mar. 24, 2023 - Second round applications close
- Mar. 24, 2023 - Summer Research Fellowship application closes
- Week of Mar. 31, 2023 - Program coordinators (other than Research) contact applicants with their second round hiring decisions
- After Mar. 31, 2023 - Students can inquire about potential volunteer positions
Note: MU medical students have MU liability coverage for educational activities while registered in courses that are officially recognized by the medical school as training experiences, including the summer fellowship courses without credit.