The School of Medicine offers seven summer programs/fellowships for MU’s first-year/rising second-year medical students. The experiences last between four and eight weeks. Research and clinical opportunities are available. Positions are competitive and limited.
# of Slots
|Length of Program|
|$2,250||8||2 weeks (24/7)|
|$1,230||2-3||2 weeks + summer hrs.|
|Summer Research Fellowship||$3,000||unspecified||8 weeks|
Only MU students who are in their first year of medical school can apply for these positions. All positions, other than Research, follow the same timetable (see below). Applications open on November 15 and close on January 3. The application for Research opens on November 29 and closes March 25.
After reviewing all of the positions (links above), decide which is your first choice and complete/submit the application (link to application can be found at the bottom of each program's page). If you definitely want a research position, please do not apply for any of the clinical or Med Ed positions. Wait and apply for Research when it opens, November 29.
Program coordinators (other than Research) will contact applicants with their hiring decisions the week of January 17. They will inform Heather Miles in Med Ed of who they're hiring and the number of positions they still have available by the end of January. Starting February 1, any students who were not selected for their first choice will be allowed to apply for their second choice out of the positions that are still available. Positions with openings will still have an active application link on their pages. No application link means no positions available. This second round of applications will close on February 11. Program coordinators will make applicants aware of their hiring decisions the week of February 14. They will provide their final fire list to Heather by the end of February.
Students who get hired for clinical or Med Ed positions who would like to gain additional experience by volunteering for another program (students can only get paid for one position) can reach out to coordinators of clinical or Med Ed positions during the month of March to ask if they need any additional help. If a volunteer position is found, the student will need to ask Heather Miles for a waiver form for both coordinators and student to complete/submit, asking permission for a second position.
Summer Research Fellowship applications will be open November 29 - March 25. Students who get hired for a research position cannot add a second (volunteer) position.
Dates and Deadlines
- Nov. 12, 2021 - M1 Class Meeting, 12-1 pm via ZOOM
- Nov. 15, 2021 - All applications (other than Research) open
- Nov. 29, 2021 - Summer Research Fellowship application opens
- Jan. 3, 2022 - Clinical and Med Ed applications close
- Week of Jan. 17, 2022 - Program coordinators (other than Research) contact applicants with their hiring decisions
- Jan. 31, 2022 - Last day for clinical and Med Ed programs to let Heather Miles know who they've hired and how many positions they still have available
- Feb. 1, 2022 - Second round applications open
- Feb. 11, 2022 - Second round applications close
- Week of Feb. 14, 2022 - Program coordinators (other than Research) contact applicants with their second round hiring decisions
- Feb. 28, 2022 - Last day for clinical and Med Ed programs to let Heather Miles know who they've hired during second round
- Month of March - Students can inquire about potential volunteer positions
- Mar. 25, 2022 - Summer Research Fellowship application closes
Note: MU medical students have MU liability coverage for educational activities while registered in courses that are officially recognized by the medical school as training experiences, including the summer fellowship courses without credit.