The Department of Medical Pharmacology and Physiology strives to promote scientific excellence in our research, teaching, and service missions. At its core, scientific innovation flourishes from the fusion of different perspectives, which are inherently linked to the composition of the academic community. Therefore, we are committed to a scholarly community in which all participants feel equally welcome and encouraged to contribute.
The Department of Medical Pharmacology and Physiology is committed to:
- Building and supporting an inclusive, unbiased and prejudice-free environment that
- Values, respects, and welcomes all individuals with their diverse backgrounds, experiences and perspectives.
- Provides an environment for all individuals, including those from underrepresented groups, to excel in their academic and professional development.
- Providing a community in which all members (i.e., faculty, staff, postdoctoral fellows, and students)
- Are expected to respectfully interact with all faculty, staff, fellows, students, and the public.
- Recognize the importance of having different perspectives in the classroom, laboratory, and beyond, which is fostered by having a diverse population of students, fellows, faculty, and staff.
- Further increasing the diversity of our faculty, staff, fellows, and students by recruiting and retaining members of underrepresented groups, particularly those underrepresented in the Department and in biomedical sciences nationwide.
Our commitment requires that all faculty, staff, fellows, and students of the Department actively promote an inclusive environment in which all members of the community and visitors feel welcome. As individuals we will strive to recognize our implicit biases and work actively to minimize their influence on our interactions, opinions, and decisions. Depending on our roles, we have different avenues and responsibilities to foster inclusiveness.
As faculty, we are committed to:
- Being role models for promoting diversity and being respectful and inclusive in our interactions with all members of the Department, the University community, and the public.
- Developing teaching and mentoring practices that foster inclusiveness and diverse experiences, promoting equal participation of all groups – continually revising our teaching methods to avoid approaches that can inadvertently hamper the success of students
As staff, we are committed to:
- Developing practices and policies that foster inclusiveness and diverse experiences, promoting equal participation of all groups
- Appreciating diverse experiences as opportunities for personal and professional growth
- Welcoming opportunities for professional development, including those addressing diversity and inclusiveness in our workforce and society
As fellows and students, we are committed to:
- Being respectful of others in the community, such as peers, faculty, and staff, regardless of their backgrounds
- Appreciating the opportunity to interact with people of different backgrounds
- Utilizing diverse experiences as opportunities for personal and intellectual growth
- Being receptive to new ideas and opinions
We gratefully acknowledge the members of the Division of Biological Sciences who allowed us to learn from and adapt their Division’s diversity statement.