A variety of Ophthalmology electives and selectives are offered to medical students at the University of Missouri following completion of preclinical curriculum.
Two and four week electives are available to 3rd and 4th year students, a 4 week surgical selective is available to 4th year students. There is also the opportunity to rotate for 1 week during the Surgery Clerkship. Space is limited. Outside rotators may apply for a 4 week Ophthalmology elective through VSAS. Research opportunities are available.
- Introduction to Ophthalmology (6936) – 2 week elective (M3 or M4)
- Ophthalmology (6585) – 4 week elective (M3 or M4)
- Ophthalmology surgical selective (6990) – 4 week selective elective (taken after 5 of 7 core clerkships including surgery)
- ABS Ophthalmology Research (6323) – 4 week research elective (taken after 5 of 7 core clerkships including surgery)
- Course descriptions
- Calendar 2021-2022
This is a 4 week rotation for senior medical students pursing residency in ophthalmology. There is limited availability and not all applications can be accepted.
How to Apply
- Apply to VSAS at least 30 days prior to the start of the elective date
- Contact our Medical Student Coordinator
MU Medical Student Research and Travel Awards
Medical students who have had their work accepted for presentation at meetings or conferences may apply for awards to be applied to conference registration and travel, up to $250 each. Applications for accepted research projects will be reviewed on a rolling basis and awards will be given based on scholarship, need and available funding.
To apply, email the following information to Carina Jimenez.
- Title and type of presentation accepted (poster, paper, talk)
- Abstract with all authors
- Faculty sponsor
- Registrations fees
- Conference name, date and location
- Other funding/awards received to support the research project or attendance at the conference/meeting
For general inquiries please email our Medical Student Coordinator.