A one-year fellowship in advanced otology is available for physicians who have satisfactorily completed an ACGME-accredited otolaryngology training program and seek increased clinical competence in otology.
The fellowship provides instruction for physicians to build their skills related to managing chronic ear disease, otosclerosis, vertigo and proficiency in adult and/or pediatric cochlear implants. An additional year of training in a busy otologic practice with a preceptor who has proven teaching ability and is dedicated to creating a rich otologic training experience will better prepare a physician for managing these patients.
Goal of Training
The goal of this one-year fellowship experience is to establish a knowledge base and level of clinical and surgical ability to allow the graduating fellow to address the above-mentioned disease/conditions in independent clinical practice. With approximately 400 cases completed a year, our fellows graduate as experts in otologic surgery.
Although this program is not intended to be an accredited fellowship for neurotology, there will be frequent exposure to skull base surgery to allow the fellow to gain an appreciation for intracranial procedures.
The otology fellow will have the following responsibilities:
- Evaluation and treatment of otologic patients in both the MU Health Care system and the Harry S. Truman VA Hospital.
- Preoperative evaluation and counseling of patients.
- Postoperative care of surgical patients.
- Inpatient consultations while on call at University Hospital.
The otology fellow will attend and present at:
- Monthly M&M.
- Present Grand Rounds in Otology.
- Supervise and instruct the Temporal Bone Dissection course.
Call: General ENT call one weekend every other month
Vacation: 15 days
Salary: PGY-6 level stipend
How to apply
Interested Candidates must submit the following:
- One-page personal statement describing your interest in an Otology Fellowship.
- Three letters of recommendation (for recent graduates, a letter from your program director is preferred).
- Current CV.
Email applications to firstname.lastname@example.org
Thanks for your interest in our program. We hope to cross paths with you sometime in your future!