American Journal of Hospital Medicine (AJHM) is an online publication dedicated to promote of research and education in the field of hospital medicine and is published by the Division of Hospital Medicine, Department of Medicine at the University of Missouri. Fully peer-reviewed, AJHM publishes original research articles, reviews of various topics focusing on inpatient medicine, case reports, and viewpoints.
- Promote hospital medicine as the main emerging filed in academic medicine through publication of original, peer-reviewed research articles and systematic reviews on topics relevant to hospital medicine.
- Promote high quality care for all hospitalized patients.
- Promote excellent, safe post hospitalization transition care.
- Encourage the educational institutes to attract and retain the top quality hospitalists into the academic medicine.
- Define the skills, duties, limitations and needs of hospitalists in academic settings.
- Promote continuous medical education for the hospitalists in both academic and non-academic settings.
- Publishing articles that are original, reliable, and relevant.
The idea to launch a journal for hospitalists in Missouri came in 2007 from the Chief of the Hospitalist Service at the University of Missouri, Dr. Robert Folzenlogen, after encouragement from the Chief of General Internal Medicine, Dr. William Steinmann. The publication started in 2008 as Missouri Hospitalist, which was emailed to hospitalists at the University of Missouri and other institutions throughout the state of Missouri. When Dr. Folzenlogen retired in November 2012, the editorship was taken over by Dr. Ankur Jindal, with instrumental assistance from Dr. Hariharan Regunath as associate editor. In July 2014, Dr. Natraj Katta became editor-in-chief and along with Dr. Regunath as associate editor and support from Dr. Syed Hasan Naqvi as director of the division of Hospital Medicine at the University of Missouri, transformed Missouri Hospitalist into a fully online publication: the Journal of Academic Hospital Medicine. From July 2015 to September 2016, Dr. Harbaksh Sangha served as the editor-in-chief.
Dr. Christian Rojas-Moreno became editor-in-chief in October 2016 and subsequently, in January 2017, the name of the journal was changed to American Journal of Hospital Medicine (ISSN 2474-7017 online) in order to involve academic and non-academic clinicians that provide medical care to hospitalized patients and who are interested in this publication either as researchers or as consumers of research.
Robert Folzenlogen, MD (2008-2012)
Ankur Jindal, MD (2012-2014)
Journal of Academic Hospital Medicine
Natraj Katta, MD (2014-2015)
Harbaksh Sangha, MD (2015-2016)
American Journal of Hospital Medicine
Christian Rojas Moreno, MD (2016-present)
Division of Hospital Medicine, Department of Medicine
University of Missouri
1 Hospital Dr
Columbia, MO 65212