All applicants are expected to have excellent grade point averages and an undergraduate degree with a strong background in life sciences and related areas. Considerations are given for other outstanding attributes, such as research achievements and experiences.
Required Application Materials
An application submitted through the University of Missouri Graduate School. The application will include the following:
- Copies or official copies of transcripts from all colleges and universities attended
- Three letters of recommendation - written by individuals with knowledge of the student's academic capability
- Statement of Purpose - Provide in 400 words or less a brief description of research experience (abstract and paper citations preferred) and a statement of how the MS/PhD. program will facilitate your career goals.
- International students must submit copies or official copies of English proficiency test scores from either the TOEFL, IELTS, PTE, Cambridge C1 Advanced, or Duolingo examinations. MU's minimum test scores are:
- TOEFL 80 (internet-based)
- IELTS 6.5 (academic)
- PTE 59
- Cambridge C1 Advanced 180
- Duolingo 105
The University of Missouri International Center is available to help answer questions. Review additional application instructions for international students.
Financial Support is available for all highly qualified students. These awards provide stipends, tuition waivers, and health insurance. No separate applications for these awards are necessary. Learn more about funding your education.
Deadlines for Applying
Complete applications must be submitted to the Graduate School by December 15. Application reviews will be completed in January with interviews for prospective candidates scheduled for February and/or March.
Acceptance into the Program
If you receive a letter of acceptance from the department you will need to complete the following for the offer to become official:
- Send a letter of acceptance to Alan Parrish, PhD, the vice chair for education.
- If you did not submit the following documents at the time of applying, you need to submit:
- Official copies of transcripts from all colleges and universities attended
- International students: Official copies of TOEFL, IELTS, PTE, C1 Advanced, or Duolingo exam scores
Official acceptance will be communicated by the University of Missouri Graduate School.
Contact Information and Assistance
Prospective graduate students who wish to discuss their application and/or need assistance before applying are encouraged to contact Alan Parrish, PhD, at email@example.com.