All applicants are expected to have excellent grade point averages and GRE scores and an undergraduate degree with a strong background in life sciences and related areas. There is not a minimum GRE score, but most applicants have scores above the 75th percentile. Considerations are given for other outstanding attributes, such as research achievements and experiences.
Required Application Materials
Your application will not to be reviewed until the following are received:
- A completed department application form or one you’ve submitted through the University of Missouri Graduate School.
- Copies or official copies of transcripts from all colleges and universities attended
- Copies or official copies of Graduate Record Exam Scores (GRE) (Institution Code 6875, Department Code 0216 )
- Three letters of recommendation that address the applicant’s ability for advanced study, research experience/skills, rank among students at a comparable stage in career, written and oral communication skills and personal attributes including integrity, ability to work with others and teaching skills.
- Evidence of research experience should be provided
- International students must submit copies or official copies of your scores from the Test of English as Foreign Language (TOEFL), the International English Language Testing System (IELTS), the Pearson Test of English (PTE), or the Cambridge C1 Advanced examination (C1 Advanced). MU's minimum test scores are: TOEFL 80 (internet-based), IELTS 6.5, PTE 59, or C1 Advanced 180. The University of Missouri International Center is available to help answer any questions. Review additional application instructions for international students.
Financial Support is available for all highly qualified students. These awards provide stipends, tuition waivers and health insurance. No separate applications for these awards are necessary. Learn more about funding your education.
Deadlines for Applying
Complete applications must be received by the department by Dec. 15. If accepted into the program, you will be required to complete an application with the Graduate School.
Acceptance into the Program
If you receive a letter of acceptance from the department you will need to complete the following for the offer to become official:
- Send a letter of acceptance to Alan Parrish, PhD, the vice chair for education.
- If you did not submit the following documents at the time of applying, you need to submit:
- Official copies of transcripts from all colleges and universities attended
- Official copies of Graduate Record Exam Scores
- Official copies of TOEFL, IELTS, PTE, or C1 Advanced exam scores
- Application to the university and graduate school
Official acceptance will be communicated by the University of Missouri Graduate School.
Contact Information and Assistance
Prospective graduate students who wish to discuss their application and/or need assistance before applying are encouraged to contact Alan Parrish, PhD, at email@example.com.