The School of Medicine offers seven summer programs and fellowships for MU’s first-year/rising second-year medical students. The experiences last between four and eight weeks. Research, clinical and international opportunities are available. Enrollments are competitive and limited.
- Department of Medicine Summer Externship
- Rural Track Summer Community Program (MU-AHEC)
- High School Mini Medical School Facilitator
- Summer Research Fellowships
- Orientation and White Coat Ceremony Leader
- Springfield Summer Clinical Experience
- Family Medicine Summer Experience
|Program||Stipend||# of Slots|
|Department of Medicine Summer Externship||$1,000||unspecified|
|Rural Track Summer Community Program (MU-AHEC)||up to $1,500
(dependent upon length)
|High School Mini Medical School Facilitator||$2,000||8|
|Summer Research Fellowships||$2,000
(plus $100 for poster costs)
|Orientation and White Coat Ceremony Leader||$1,200||2 to 3|
|Springfield Summer Clinical Experience||$1,000||8|
|Family Medicine Summer Experience||$1,000||4|
Only MU students are eligible to apply for these programs. In order to be considered, you must submit an application and other requested materials, via the online application system to the Medical Education Office. The submission deadline is January 18, 2019, with the exception of the Summer Research Fellowship-deadline Thursday, January 31, 2019. All students will be notified of their summer placement by February 28, 2019.
Students will initially apply to only one program. If you are not awarded the program which you initially applied for, you will be contacted about application to other programs with available openings.
Only one program will be awarded per medical student, whether paid or unpaid.
Dates and Deadlines
- Jan. 9, 2019 – M1 Class Meeting, noon, LC230 (Flat Floor Classroom)
- Jan. 18, 2019 – Deadline for Students to submit applications to Med Ed
- Feb. 22, 2019 – Deadline for programs to notify Med Ed of selected students
- Feb. 28, 2019 – Programs notify students of placement. Those students who do not have placement can apply for openings by submitting an application.
- March 8, 2019 – Deadline for students who don’t have a placement to submit application.
- March 15, 2019 – All students will have been notified of decisions for summer programs.
Note: MU medical students have MU liability coverage for educational activities while registered in courses that are officially recognized by the medical school as training experiences, including the summer fellowship courses without credit.