The School of Medicine offers seven summer programs/fellowships for MU’s first-year/rising second-year medical students. The experiences last between four and eight weeks. Research and clinical opportunities are available. Positions are competitive and limited.
- Department of Medicine Summer Externship
- Rural Track Summer Community Program (MU-AHEC)
- High School Mini Medical School Facilitator
- Summer Research Fellowships
- Orientation and White Coat Ceremony Leader
- Springfield Summer Clinical Experience
- Family Medicine Summer Experience
|Program||Stipend||# of Slots|
|Department of Medicine Summer Externship||$1,000||unspecified|
|Rural Track Summer Community Program (MU-AHEC)||
4 weeks= $1,400
|High School Mini Medical School Facilitator||$2,000||8|
|Summer Research Fellowships||$2,000
(plus $100 for poster costs)
|Orientation and White Coat Ceremony Leader||$1,200||2 to 3|
|Springfield Summer Clinical Experience||$1,000||8|
|Family Medicine Summer Experience||$1,000||4|
Only MU students are eligible to apply for these programs. In order to be considered, you must submit an application and other requested materials, via the online application system to the Medical Education Office. The submission deadline is January 17, 2020, with the exception of the Summer Research Fellowship. That program's deadline is Thursday, January 30, 2020. All students will be notified of their summer placements by February 28, 2020.
Students will initially apply to only one program. If you are not chosen for the program for which you initially applied, you will be contacted about applying to other programs with available openings.
Students can only complete one summer program. No exceptions.
Dates and Deadlines
- Nov. 12, 2019 - M1 Class Meeting, 12-1 pm, M105 (Bryant Auditorium).
- Jan. 17, 2020 - Deadline for students to submit online applications to Med Ed.
- Jan. 30, 2020 - Deadline for Summer Research Fellowships.
- Feb. 22, 2020 - Deadline for programs to notify Med Ed of selected students.
- Feb. 28, 2020 - Programs notify students of placement. Those students who do not have placement can apply for openings by submitting an application.
- March 6, 2020 - Deadline for students who don’t have a placement to submit new application.
- March 13, 2020 - All students will have been notified of decisions for summer programs.
Note: MU medical students have MU liability coverage for educational activities while registered in courses that are officially recognized by the medical school as training experiences, including the summer fellowship courses without credit.