The School of Medicine offers six summer programs and fellowships for MU’s first-year/rising second-year medical students. The experiences last between four and eight weeks. Research, clinical and international opportunities are available. Enrollments are competitive and limited.
- Department of Medicine Summer Externship
- Rural Track Summer Community Program (MU-AHEC)
- High School Mini Medical School Facilitator
- Summer Research Fellowships
- Orientation and White Coat Ceremony Leader
- Springfield Summer Clinical Experience
- Family Medicine Summer Experience
|Program||Stipend||# of Available Slots|
|Department of Medicine Summer Externship||$1,000||unspecified|
|Rural Track Summer Community Program (MU-AHEC)||up to $2,000
(dependent upon length)
|High School Mini Medical School Facilitator||$2,000||8|
|Summer Research Fellowships||$2,000
(plus $100 for poster costs)
|Orientation and White Coat Ceremony Leader||$1,200||2 to 3|
|Springfield Summer Clinical Experience||$1,000||8|
|Family Medicine Summer Experience||$1,000||4|
Only MU students are eligible to apply for these programs. In order to be considered, you must submit a cover sheet, application(s) and other requested material to the Office of Medical Education (OME) by Feb. 7, 2018. On the cover sheet, the student should indicate which program(s) they are applying to. If applying to more than one program, the programs should be ranked numerically by preference (1=most preferred).Several of these programs require a curriculum vitae. Download a sample curriculum vitae. All students will be notified of their summer placement by March 16, 2018. Only one program will be awarded permedical student, whether paid or unpaid.
Dates and Deadlines
- Jan. 19, 2018 – M1 Class Meeting, noon, LC230 (Flat Floor Classroom)
- Feb. 7, 2018 – Deadline for Students to submit applications to OME
- Students select their No. 1 choice
- Students may indicate other choices
- March 9, 2018 – Deadline for programs to notify OME of selected students
- March 16, 2018 – Programs notify students of placement. Those students who do not have placement can apply for openings. If student has previously designated a No. 2 choice and this program has openings, the application will be forwarded to the No. 2 program.
- March 23, 2018 – Deadline for students who don’t have a placement to submit application.
- April 2, 2018 – All students will have been notified of decisions for summer programs.
Note: MU medical students have MU liability coverage for educational activities while registered in courses that are officially recognized by the medical school as training experiences, including the summer fellowship courses without credit.