University of Missouri School of Medicine, Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
Health Educator, First Impact Parent Education Program
(A program of Think First Missouri)
One Hospital Drive, DC046 00, Columbia, MO 65212
First Impact Facilitator since July 2016; Health Educator First Impact Parent Education Program, January 2017 to present
Dothage instructs GDL Facilitator & LEO Training Sessions to prepare speakers to lead First Impact Parent Programs. She also assists and supports Facilitators in scheduling First Impact Parent Programs. Dothage is working towards bringing First Impact to every county in Missouri.
Education: Deana has a BS in Administration of Justice - Policing Option from the University of Missouri - St. Louis (1989), and a Master’s of Public Affairs with a focus on Nonprofit Management from the University of Missouri – Columbia (2021).
Personal: Dothage is the parent of a 2020 high school graduate whom she coached as he learned to drive. Her son has not had a crash or a ticket!
I have the honor of leading an injury prevention program, First Impact, an education program for parents of teen drivers. The tragedy my family endures fuels my passion to motivate people to drive safe and save lives. "June 3, 1973, was the last day my father and I were together. While traveling to his home in Illinois, he was hit head-on, on a bridge, by an impaired driver. He died at the scene of the crash."
Dothage believes it is essential that parents and their teens attend a First Impact program to learn the law and to learn strategies to mentor and coach their new drivers. "I do not want others to suffer the loss of a family member or loved one. It's a heartbreak that never leaves you." Dothage says, "attending First Impact will give you the tools you need to prepare your teen to exercise safe driving skills."
- Boonslick Regional Planning Commission, Mobility Manager, 2014 – 2017
- Friedens United Church of Christ, Office Manager 2012 – 2014
- American Family Insurance, Agent 1995 – 2013
- American Family Insurance, Claims Adjuster/Specialist 1983 – 1995
- St. Charles County Sheriff’s Department, LEO, 1981 – 1983
- Missouri's Representative for National Association of Women's Highway Safety Leaders - 2019 to present; Regional Director of Region 7. Deana has served as the 1st Vice-President of NAWHSL since October 2021.
- Missouri's Blueprint Working Group - 2019
- Member of Northeast Missouri Coalition for Roadway Safety since 2006;
- Member of Subcommittee of Elderly Mobility and Safety, 2014 – 2017;
- Public Education Speaker for First Impact, available for traffic safety-related conferences and meetings
- Speaker for Keep Your Keys older driver program, MU
To schedule a First Impact program in your community, contact Deana Tucker Dothage at 573-884-3463. There is no charge for hosting a First Impact program.